Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MickeyM
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 May 2012, 10:22 am

I've heard a few fair few references to this since perusing this forum, but no actual defintion...

questor
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 11:36 am

We have a tendency to get lost in our own thoughts, and end up staring off into nothing and nowhere. One of the problems with this is if another person happens to be in front of us while we are staring off into N & N. They sometimes think we are staring rudely at them, and can get angry, especially as it can take us a minute or two to come back to Earth when they confront us about staring at them. Or we won't be staring towards anyone, but someone will see us staring and want to know what we are looking at. Again, it takes us a while to return to Earth to answer their question as to what we are staring at. We don't often have a good answer, so this causes difficulties. Still other times we may be staring off into N & N while walking, which can lead us into blundering into things or people, who may get annoyed about being blundered into.

So, the Aspie stare is not really a good thing for us. If you come up with a cure for it, please post it here at WP, as I and many others here would like to have it. :lol:

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 12:11 pm

I know for me when I don't consciously adjust my facial expression I look "blank" in a way that people find very disconcerting.

If your success is defined as being well adjusted to injustice and well adapted to indifference, then we don?t want successful leaders. We want great leaders- who are unbought, unbound, unafraid, and unintimidated to tell the truth.

Yoshie777
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 2:28 pm

questor wrote:
We have a tendency to get lost in our own thoughts, and end up staring off into nothing and nowhere. One of the problems with this is if another person happens to be in front of us while we are staring off into N & N. They sometimes think we are staring rudely at them, and can get angry, especially as it can take us a minute or two to come back to Earth when they confront us about staring at them. Or we won't be staring towards anyone, but someone will see us staring and want to know what we are looking at. Again, it takes us a while to return to Earth to answer their question as to what we are staring at. We don't often have a good answer, so this causes difficulties. Still other times we may be staring off into N & N while walking, which can lead us into blundering into things or people, who may get annoyed about being blundered into.

So, the Aspie stare is not really a good thing for us. If you come up with a cure for it, please post it here at WP, as I and many others here would like to have it. :lol:

This is why I avoid eye contact most of the time. Also, I had a history of abuse and bullying from my step family and eye contact either meant harsh, strict criticism from my former stepfather or rude comments from my former stepbrothers who all didn't understand me and AS. However, they really didn't understand anything.

We all deal with problems and strife, but it's how we deal with them that makes all the difference in the world.

"You are no accident!"
-Rick Warren

MickeyM
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 May 2012, 3:28 pm

has anyone ever found that being an aspie people actually tend to stare at you more than they should?

BMctav
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 May 2012, 3:57 pm

MickeyM wrote:
has anyone ever found that being an aspie people actually tend to stare at you more than they should?

People with Asperger's look just like everyone else. Just regular people. I don't see why they people would stare at you. Are you particularly handsome or pretty, or maybe you have a scar or disfigurement that might catch a person's attention.

I should add that people often stare at other peope (and things in general). They might not even beware staring at anything, just looking in your direction.

Siddhi
Raven
Raven

10 May 2012, 5:15 pm

A more interesting version of the stare. I have a tendency to go into my head and stay there. It is my fun time and i am actually not looking then.It is one of the things people mention about me. Comments i have got regarding it.

1. According to my brother. He says i forget to put anything on my face when i am in my head,
2. In my college everybody assumed i was dreaming about my boyfriend then. I have never had a boyfriend till date but they assumed i had one.
3. People would think i was dreaming about something.
4. I am choreographing dance step, which was true too.

I dont get you are staring as i cannot maintain eye contact with anybody other than my mom and brother. I dont get the urge to shift eye contact if it is a young child, but then children rarely stare in the eye. For me the stare is my fun time when i am in my head and really happy.

Paul123
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2012, 5:39 pm

Hopefully I don't do this in work, but I do the stare thing when in my room (when organizing blu-rays or whatever).

I had no idea about this until I decided to film myself for a few hours going about my business (camera was on a tripod at the far end of the room).

On playback I noticed that I did the blank stare thing - when I was figuring out the best way to order my collection and where they should go (i.e. quite an active time in my head) the rest of me just froze. A bit creepy!

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 8:25 pm

I'm pretty sure I have the stare. I have an extremely blank facial expression unless I'm feeling an emotion, and I'm terrible at faking expressions.

Niez228
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 May 2012, 8:31 pm

Some of the time staring at people isn't a problem I mean when someone is making a speech they just have to deal with it and a lot of the times "attractive" people are used to getting stared at anyway. However it goes without saying that yes staring can get you in trouble but only worry about when its a necessity such as in the workplace or going out on a date. Otherwise you can always say that you looked familiar and was mistaken which allows you to get away with it.

Or you can just not care what other people think which is the best option :)

Idk I may be wrong though...

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 12:48 pm

Its the 'spaced out' looking stare when you're actually concentrating or thinking about something.

Its especially freaky to NT's when it happens in mid-conversation. :twisted:

Opeth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 7:51 am

There is no such thing as an Aspie stare - people stare at me all the time, either because they are lost in their own thoughts and happen to be staring at me, or they decide to intimidate.

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 6:49 pm

When I do it it isn't really a stare in the sense that one has to stare "at something."

What is actually happening is that I'm concentrating on something (usually some form of audio or video memory or a complex chain of thoughts and associations) and am no longer consciously registering visual stimuli. This is not apparent to people because I find it easier to visualize things and space out with my eyes open than closed.

The trick is to make absolutely certain my eyes are "pointed" at nothing. Otherwise I get accused of "staring" at things I didn't even "see."

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 4:54 am

(o)¿(o)
That's the Aspie Stare.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 5:21 pm

Supposedly, Aspies have a penetrating, intense stare.
I've been told I do. I'm not sure what it is or if it's even a real thing.

to his Interest."