Should US require mandatory military service of citizens?

Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Should US require mandatory military service of citizens?
Yes 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
No 87%  87%  [ 46 ]
Total votes : 53

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 2:29 pm

This article is about an idea of Rep. Charlie Rangel D-NY to reinstate the draft--to deter politicians from launching future wars he considers too costly and unnecessary--and Sen. Lindsey Graham R-SC's thoughts on mandatory military service:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 76_pf.html

If you want, you can vote on the question in the poll at the top.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 2:44 pm

I'm from the UK, so I suppose this might only ever affect people here indirectly, but I'm having my say anyway.

Er... no. No way. There is no reason young men and woman should be forced to go into an army to fight and die for a war they don't believe in. Unless it was World War II or something of that nature. But no, I think it'll end up being used for conflicts of the state's own making.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 2:47 pm

NEVER!! !!

there is 0 reason to be in a military unless there is a war and if this world wasn't so illogical, there wouldnt be any war..

I seriously want to know what leaders discuss when debating issues leading to war.. I have a feeling its a lot of talking, a lot of "not seeing the other persons side," a lot of "lost in translation" points, and eventually, defensiveness on both sides.. well, both countries in a war cannot claim self defense so something is missing there..

So no, even though I am not American, I'd be pissed off if I heard they ever instituted another draft.. unless my direct soil is being effected I will not be holding a gun

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2006, 2:57 pm

Hell no!

I think I'd make the most horrible soldier ever due to my Aspie awkwardness.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 4:26 pm

I don't think that the draft is a good idea. It would take young people away from more productive paths to push them towards something less productive through pure government fiat. If they want more military men then increase spending on recruitment and retention, or work out some form of scheme to induce people who need some favor from the US government to join our military. The draft is political suicide, and it is something I cannot support due to the issues involved with such a device.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 6:18 pm

Allow me to explain my vote. If an effective militia is necessary for national security, then it is every bit legitimate to consider military training an essential aspect of secondary education. Instead of putting students on leave for the Summer, put them through training in basic military discipline as a part of their curriculum. Most of them would take to it like ducks to water. However, I don't think that people should be required to face the potentiality of losing their lives, by any means.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 6:29 pm

Griff wrote:
Allow me to explain my vote. If an effective militia is necessary for national security, then it is every bit legitimate to consider military training an essential aspect of secondary education. Instead of putting students on leave for the Summer, put them through training in basic military discipline as a part of their curriculum. Most of them would take to it like ducks to water. However, I don't think that people should be required to face the potentiality of losing their lives, by any means.

That is not mandatory military service; that is military training integrated in education. I don't have as significant of a problem with the latter as I do the former.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 7:54 pm

What if they gave a war, and nobody came?

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 8:00 pm

Why not do things Robert Heinlein style?

Robert Heinlein's idea
===================

-When congress determines war has become necessary a popular vote is begun

-All citizens capable of military service most vote

-If 51% if population votes to go to war then we go to war and all those who voted for the war are imeediately drafted into service.

-Those who voted against will serve only be used in an emergency

-If majority votes against war then no war is declared
===================

This idea could work in my opinion

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 8:33 pm

Flagg wrote:
Why not do things Robert Heinlein style?

Robert Heinlein's idea
===================

-When congress determines war has become necessary a popular vote is begun

-All citizens capable of military service most vote

-If 51% if population votes to go to war then we go to war and all those who voted for the war are imeediately drafted into service.

-Those who voted against will serve only be used in an emergency

-If majority votes against war then no war is declared
===================

This idea could work in my opinion

No war(or almost no war) is fought with 51% of the eligible population, such would cause massive problems as most conflicts require significantly less people than that to be fought, as well, production is very necessary for most wars, so we would need people back home to produce for the war, and for minor wars we would still want to maintain most aspects of the peace during the war. Really, such an idea is too problematic for that reason alone.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 8:33 pm

Fuzzy wrote:

Then it wouldn't be a war. However, if one side came and the other didn't then that one side would dominate the other.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 9:50 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:

Then it wouldn't be a war. However, if one side came and the other didn't then that one side would dominate the other.

Its verbal playfulness sir.

Its a line from a piece of fiction alluding that one should appreciate being forced to face death for a slimy politicians ideals. It also speaks of the withholding of more wars through lack of appreciation from the participants(and those caught in the crossfire).

Imagine that you were forced to attend someones birthday party, and when you were surly about it, you were told you wouldnt be allowed to attend more..

That sorta thing!

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 10:27 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
Its verbal playfulness sir.

Its a line from a piece of fiction alluding that one should appreciate being forced to face death for a slimy politicians ideals. It also speaks of the withholding of more wars through lack of appreciation from the participants(and those caught in the crossfire).

Imagine that you were forced to attend someones birthday party, and when you were surly about it, you were told you wouldnt be allowed to attend more..

That sorta thing!

Verbal playfulness?? I am not sure I buy that.... :wink:

Right, no, I am just commenting on it because I think that there are actually some people who think that the world can really work like that. There are hardcore pacifists out there and I just wanted to make sure you weren't one of them, they hate freedom after all :wink:. Freedom isn't free, it costs 8 easy payments of $19.99 plus shipping and handling.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 10:59 pm

ok, this is how I see things.... As far as national compulsory military service goes, no. However, I do think we need to protect our 2nd ammendment right to bear arms, which means mandatory service of all abled-bodied men into local citizen militias. In our country's early history this WAS mandatory, to keep the government in check. However, over time, people have became lazy on militia duty and eventually people forgot about it.... Years later citizens have tried to revive it, but now you run the risk of being labled a terrorist (even though the citizen militias are reactionary groups as opposed to proactionary, meaning they'll only operate in self defense).
I am not personally involved in the citizen militia, so I don't judge others for not being involved either. The reason I posted in the above paragraph is all the reason I need not to get involved in it personally. But I will keep a gun handy for my protection, you can believe that.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 10:59 pm

As I understood the draft (from afar) it was easy for high socio-economic types (middle class if you like) to avoid it, leaving a skewed population with low education in the military in general and in Vietnam in particular. This I believe caused problems.

I think in any country, if there is compulsory military service, there should be no easy "opt-out" for anyone.

I may be wrong. I defer to others who may know better.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 11:27 pm

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
As I understood the draft (from afar) it was easy for high socio-economic types (middle class if you like) to avoid it, leaving a skewed population with low education in the military in general and in Vietnam in particular. This I believe caused problems.

I think in any country, if there is compulsory military service, there should be no easy "opt-out" for anyone.

I may be wrong. I defer to others who may know better.

No, you are right, it was easier for those of higher socio-economic backgrounds to get out of service. In the past in the US it was worse though, like during the Civil War the rich could just buy the services of another person to take their place.