Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 2:13 pm

I'm marginally productive during the week. I go to work, sometimes I go to the gym, sometimes I try to do other activities. But on the weekends, all I can do is sleep. I would like to do something fun (and I have some ideas about what this could involve), but I just can't seem to get out of bed. Any suggestions?

midge
Toucan
Toucan

20 Nov 2006, 3:28 pm

I have this exact same problem on the weekends-well, during the week too since I'm immigrating to a new country and don't have residency yet so I can't work or go to school. I'm still struggling with it actually. Are you getting enough sleep during the week, or is it the lack of structure on weekends? I know that for me it is the lack of structure, and I have found that what it comes down to is that I either really, really have to want to get up, or feel that I have to. That's great that you have some ideas of what you want to do-that is a big help. I've found that it helps if I plan activities for the weekend that I'm excited about (it definitely helps to be excited about things, because the rush will get you feeling more awake and motivated) and make up my mind to stick to them. Tell yourself that you're definitely going to do a certain activity that you are excited about that day, and tell yourself that if you don't get up, you won't be able to do it. It may also help to have some sort of routine if the lack of structure bothers you. Do you have anyone who can make you get up if you don't want to or call you on the phone when you want to get up? Sometimes I tell my husband the night before to make sure I get up at a certain time in the morning. Setting an alarm can also help to give you that feeling that you must wake up at a certain time, and if you have a clock radio and you like music, you could set it to a station that you really like and that plays music that energizes you. Even you are irritated by alarm clocks (and who isn't? :wink: ) it can help as the irritation might even help wake you up, and as annoying and unpleasant as it can be to wake up that way, remember that you'll feel a lot better after getting up. Anything that gets your adrenalin going is helpful. When you don't want to get out of bed because you're still groggy, remind yourself that you'll feel better and more awake if you get up and do things than if you stay in bed. I know I always feel much better when I get up early, even if I'm tired when I first wake up, than when I sleep in 'til the afternoon. Also, try to get yourself moving right away when you first wake up (nothing big or strenous of course, just little things like sitting up); it will energize you. And try to stay active when you are awake on the weekends as it can help you to go to bed earlier, sleep more soundly, and wake up earlier; also try to have a consistent sleeping routine that your body can get used to (this has been a huge challenge for me since I can't spend my weekdays working or going to school so I don't have to get up at the same time every day). I apologize if this is all vague and not helpful, and I know it is difficult to do these things; I still have difficulty doing them sometimes.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

20 Nov 2006, 3:35 pm

I hated work but at the same time I hated the weekends even more. I was alone and
just slept all day. I need a 7 days a week job (though not as stressfull as my last job).

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 4:26 pm

I am neutral about weekends.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 4:34 pm

I wake an hour or 2 later on weekends.. I go shopping, clean the apartment, do any little tasks that need to be done.. Then I relax, put on some music, smoke a bit, maybe play a video game - I deserve that alone time

Perhaps learn an instrument? Just think, all those weekends, put an hour into an instrument and every week you'll be better! I put the guitar in my 'time line up' and I'm improving every week.. if I didnt, I'd have nothing to show for my wasted time.. The thing to remember is to 'look forward' to it.. if you dont then you'll never follow through with it

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 4:54 pm

Sick of spending sundays
Wishing they were mondays
Sittin' in the park alone.

-Kris Kristofferson

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 5:03 pm

Weekends are just days when you don't go to work.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 6:12 pm

Corvus wrote:
Perhaps learn an instrument? Just think, all those weekends, put an hour into an instrument and every week you'll be better! I put the guitar in my 'time line up' and I'm improving every week.. if I didnt, I'd have nothing to show for my wasted time.. The thing to remember is to 'look forward' to it.. if you dont then you'll never follow through with it

I actually alread play an instrument. I used to do it professionally and now I am afraid that I've just gotten too rusty. But I have meant to practice more lately. Recently someone approached me to do a gig and I said I could probably do it. I guess I actually have to practice not that I said that ;-)

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 6:13 pm

janicka wrote:
Corvus wrote:

I actually alread play an instrument. I used to do it professionally and now I am afraid that I've just gotten too rusty. But I have meant to practice more lately. Recently someone approached me to do a gig and I said I could probably do it. I guess I actually have to practice not that I said that ;-)

There you go, you're on your way.. I dont know how to play so I'm working on that myself.. 8)

JosephK
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Nov 2006, 4:33 am

Weekends are the worst for me. My depression is at its peak on weekends. Because there's nothing good on TV. Seriously, if you've got no social life, like me, you come to rely on TV (and other forms of distraction) to keep you occupied. So all I tend to do on weekends is sleep.