Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Metaljordy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2012, 11:18 pm

I'm a huge fan of Sonic, I even liked Sonic 06, I consider it an okay game, not the best, but not the worst game ever, if the load times were shorter, I'd love it more.

But I digress, I want to hear your opinions on the Sonic series.
And don't worry about offending me, I accept all opinions, no matter how similar or different they are from mine.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 7:14 am

Sonic 1- fun game, great music.

Sonic 2- First video game ever. Probably my fav sonic game. Objectively the best Sonic game in my opinion.

Sonic 3- Favorite Sonic game along with 2, excellent levels such as hydrocity and angel island zone. Fav music. Best invincible and one up tunes.

Sonic and Knuckles - Fun game, a tad overrated but not as good as Sonic 3. Sandopilis Zone is one of the worst oldschool Sonic levels ever
and Lava Reef zone is one of the best. Loved Sky Sanctuary music. I prefer Sonic 3.

Sonic CD- tied with 2 and maybe 3 as my favorite. Awesome levels, awesome music. One of the only reasons to own a megadrive cd.

Sonic 3d Blast- Only played a bit. Was horrible and awkward.

Sonic Adventure - Hated, gave me motion sickness. Sonic's forray into 3d wasn't like Mario's.

Sonic 4 - Terrible music, AWFUL jump physics, weird level design yet I felt compelled to beat it. Won't be playing the sequel.

Sonic 06- Doubt I'll ever play this.

Every other Sonic game - No thanks.

younginflavor18
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2012, 8:27 am

Sonic 1 - Top game that helped start the franchise that it is today and has simply good gameplay.

Sonic 2 - Top game that debuts Tails and another reason to own a Sega Genesis.

Sonic 3 - Favorite game to own and it made the debut of Knuckles.

Sonic and Knuckles - Another great game and it's use of lock-on technology.

Sonic CD - Best game to have on the Mega Drive and to download from the PS3, Xbox 360, or Apple iOS.
"You Can Do Anything" is my favorite Sonic CD soundtrack , I also have nothing agiainst "Sonic Boom".
The game also made the debut of Amy Rose.

Sonic 3D Blast - I heard of this game but barely play it anymore. Controls were awkward and clunky too.

Sonic Adventure - Top 3D Sonic games for the Sega Dreamcast and has great 3D gameplay.

Sonic Adventure 2 - Sonic Adventure's sequel that made the debut of Shadow the Hedgehog.

Sonic Heroes - Great game with awesome gameplay, levels, anbd soundtrack.

Sonic 06 - Heard it's the worst Sonic game to own because of loading times and bad gameplay. Also I doubt ever playing it if I own it for the PS3 and 360.

Sonic Unleashed - Why turn Sonic into a Werehog? And what's up with the nighttime stages? :scratch:

Sonic Colors - The game that helped restore the series back into its roots. It also had an awesome soundtrack.

Sonic 4 Episode I & II - Played the demo versions of the two from the PSN Store and it has an alright gameplay aside from the fact that the two episodes are short.

Sonic Generations - The game where you play as Sonics from the past and present respectively and helped restore its former roots when other main games a few years back were lackluster.

Series in general - I'd say the series is doing fine since the developers are slowly going back into its 2D roots while still doing 3D games and coming up with new gameplay ideas that will appeal the gaming audience.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 10:24 am

I like Sonic better than Mario. That is all.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 12:09 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I like Sonic better than Mario. That is all.

The 2d games are kinda equal, I love Mario 3 and Yoshi's Island and love the core genesis Sonic games. I kinda like Yoshi's Island more than sonic though. On 3d consoles its Mario hands down though, I haven't played a single 3d Sonic game I enjoyed.

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 1:10 pm

I was a huge Sonic fan when I was a kid (really, really huge, the stuffed animal was one of my most prized possessions :D )

Sonic 1: I only thought it was okay, Marble Zone music was great.

Sonic 2: I liked this one a lot, boss music especially good, the spin dash was a great mechanic, chaos emeralds and bonus stages were done better than in the first one. Tails was cool too.

Sonic 3: I eventually came to like this more than two. Special stages were interesting, Miniboss, multiple shield types, insta-shield and flying tails, new special stages were all great. I liked the boss, Ice Cap Zone, and ending musics.

I loved being able to save too.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles: A longer more epic version of Sonic 3, never liked Knuckles, but Lava Reef and some other stuff there was pretty cool

Sonic Spinball: Actually not a bad game, although it's hard to beat.

Sonic 3D Blast (beat it ONCE), and its terrible all the way to the end.

Game Gear (Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Triple Trouble, Tails' Adventure) none of these are that great.

I've seen LPs of some of the later ones, and I think giving Sonic the ability to speak was the worst decision they ever made.

One of the people I watch on youtube once called Sonic 2006 "loading screen: the game" :lol:

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 3:44 pm

My opinion of the side-scrolling Sonic games is as follows: once you played one, you've played them all. One could say the same for the Super Mario franchise also. Please don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing Sonic every now and then through emulation but it's usually used as a benchmark test to see how the emulator is performing.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 4:19 pm

I've played Sonic 06, and Sonic Unleashed as well. I can tell you I thought the werehog was a bad idea, but Sonic 06 changed that very quickly. There were very little that I liked about that game at all. For example ( the music, the main antagonist )

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 5:13 pm

Sonic 1 - Yeah
Sonic 2 - Yes!
Sonic and Knuckles - Will have to play
Sonic CD - Need to play
Sonic 3D Blast - No!
Sonic Adventure - Not getting but great on DC.
Sonic Adventure 2 - Still need to play this more than I do but generally great... can just play L&L all day.
Sonic Heroes - Different and average.
Can't really comment on other Sonic games but Unleashed did suck.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 6:32 pm

Sonic CD really blew my mind when I was 9 years old. I don't know how I'd feel about it if I played it for the first time now. The levels and music were REALLY cool and the time travel thing was really cool checking out the ruined versions of future zones. Loved the music for the past and good futures. American version soundtrack was more moody and atmospheric but I do prefer a few things, like Quartz Quadrant and the regular version of Tidal Tempest is really catchy. Metallic Madness is just scary and the US boss theme can't compete with the hilarious JAP/EU one.

Sonic CD was definitively one of the only quality games of the Sega CD but coming before Sonic 2 it probably feels a bit more clunky (no superspeed). A lot of people say the game is overrated too, I don't know, I think I'd rate Sonic CD, Sonic 2 and Vanilla 3 as my all time favorite games of the series. Everyone praises the lock on technology but I always thought S3&SK was a tad too long and I'm not a fan of the S&K levels. Lava Reef was REALLY cool though, most awesome ever and I loved Sky Sanctuary but Death Egg really felt like it dragged on and I always hated doing that level. Sorta soured the deal for me, yes I loved Launch Base zone and its zany music and I thought the colors and backdrop of the Deathegg being repaired, partially submerged was really cool. In contrast I thought the Deathegg zone in S&K was very drab, grey and lasted WAY too long. I pretty much loved all the zones in 3 except for maybe Carnival Night zone because of the barrel fiasco that plagued every child. In S&K I disliked every stage except for Flying Battery (a mishmash of Wing Fortress+Metropolis zone) and Lava Reef (who doesn't love this zone? Its beautiful). I don't count sky sanctuary as a level since its more exposition over gameplay, hard to die unless you're Knuckles.

Also the ending theme to Sonic 3 kicks the hell out of the generic credit theme for S&K.

(in my biased opinion)

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I -did- play Triple Trouble on my gamegear and it must have been utterable forgettable since I'm having a hard time remember anything about it.

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 7:45 pm

NeueZiel wrote:
Sonic CD really blew my mind when I was 9 years old. I don't know how I'd feel about it if I played it for the first time now. The levels and music were REALLY cool and the time travel thing was really cool checking out the ruined versions of future zones. Loved the music for the past and good futures. American version soundtrack was more moody and atmospheric but I do prefer a few things, like Quartz Quadrant and the regular version of Tidal Tempest is really catchy. Metallic Madness is just scary and the US boss theme can't compete with the hilarious JAP/EU one.

Sonic CD was definitively one of the only quality games of the Sega CD but coming before Sonic 2 it probably feels a bit more clunky (no superspeed). A lot of people say the game is overrated too, I don't know, I think I'd rate Sonic CD, Sonic 2 and Vanilla 3 as my all time favorite games of the series. Everyone praises the lock on technology but I always thought S3&SK was a tad too long and I'm not a fan of the S&K levels. Lava Reef was REALLY cool though, most awesome ever and I loved Sky Sanctuary but Death Egg really felt like it dragged on and I always hated doing that level. Sorta soured the deal for me, yes I loved Launch Base zone and its zany music and I thought the colors and backdrop of the Deathegg being repaired, partially submerged was really cool. In contrast I thought the Deathegg zone in S&K was very drab, grey and lasted WAY too long. I pretty much loved all the zones in 3 except for maybe Carnival Night zone because of the barrel fiasco that plagued every child. In S&K I disliked every stage except for Flying Battery (a mishmash of Wing Fortress+Metropolis zone) and Lava Reef (who doesn't love this zone? Its beautiful). I don't count sky sanctuary as a level since its more exposition over gameplay, hard to die unless you're Knuckles.

Also the ending theme to Sonic 3 kicks the hell out of the generic credit theme for S&K.

(in my biased opinion)

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I -did- play Triple Trouble on my gamegear and it must have been utterable forgettable since I'm having a hard time remember anything about it.

I didn't like Carnival night or death egg either (except the bosses of the latter), the first time through I think I died due to time running out in that bouncing zero gravity chamber part. :roll:

However, I would point out that they were originally meant to be one game but were later split. If you use the code I think you find that the Sonic and Knuckles music is actually on the Sonic 3 cartridge.

I seem to be the only person who likes the Ice Cap Zone and Endless Mine (time trial) music more than the Launch Base... :(

Anyway Sonic 3 ends very abruptly and undramatically. There is none of the suspense, buildup and epic bosses of Sonic 2's Sky Chase-Flying Fortress-Death Egg zones, or S+K's Hidden Palace-Sky Sanctuary-Death Egg-Doomsday zones.

The sound effect for the energy beam on the giant mech is permanently engraved in my memory. :lol:

Incidentally, is it just me or is Super Tails completely OP? 8O

Metaljordy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2012, 8:47 pm

Pyrite wrote:
Incidentally, is it just me or is Super Tails completely OP? 8O

He's OP like crazy.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 2:01 pm

For me, the main games rocked up until around Sonic Heroes/Shadow the Hedgehog. Haven't played anything in the main storyline past that, but from what I saw, it didn't seem that pleasing, but perhaps that will change as I pick up those games and more as the series progresses (I have no desire to buy a 360/PS3, so maybe I'll be tempted to buy a Wii U if they release good games on it). I think what happened was that the series changed its pace and style too early, leaving the original fans a bit disappointed but still being able to pick up an audience new to the series. I'm glad they did finally release Sonic 4 I and II, but I have a feeling that might not be enough of a saving grace for most of the 2D fanbase. The spin-offs, on the other hand, are the exact opposite. Most of the ones that started the mini-series happened to be really abysmal (*cough* Sonic R *cough*), but got better as time went on (Sonic Riders series, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games).

jpaspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jul 2012, 7:08 pm

Sonic 1 i liked.
Sonic 2 is my favourite of all.
sonic 3 i liked.
sonic and knuckles my 2nd favourite.
sonic spinball is ok and fun.
sonic adventure i loved that game too but 3rd favourite.

Those are the only sonic games i ever liked playing.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 3:28 am

Sonic 1 - Okay game, hasn't aged well. Great music.

Sonic 2 - Great game! Great music.

Sonic 3 - Terrific game, becoming one of the best games ever when combined with S&K. One of the best game soundtracks ever.

Sonic & Knuckles - Terrific game, becoming one of the best games ever when combined with S3. One of the best game soundtracks ever.

Sonic CD - Haven't played.

Sonic 3D Blast - God-awful.

Sonic Spinball - Decent concept, I wasn't very good at it so I didn't get far.

Sonic 4 - Haven't played, not impressed by Youtube videos.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - Decent Sonic segments, awful other segments. Disappointing music.

Sonic Heroes - Don't remind me...

Sonic Colours - Haven't played, quite impressed by Youtube videos.

Sonic the Werehog - Played a bit. Sonic segments don't control well, but they look great.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 3:36 am

Pyrite wrote:
I seem to be the only person who likes the Ice Cap Zone and Endless Mine (time trial) music more than the Launch Base... :(

You are certainly not the only person who thinks that Ice Cap Zone has the best music in Sonic 3. I liked that tune so much that I learned to play it on the piano.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYxlqTpZ-24[/youtube]

The feeling I got from hearing Ice Cap Zone's music for the first time was only ever matched much later, when I first entered Phendrana Drifts in Metroid Prime. There's something about "icy" music coupled with a cold-themed area that really affects me.