What to do when you feel you're on the verge of a meltdown?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Steven_Tyler77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jul 2012, 10:59 am

What to do when one is on the verge of a meltdown, can see it coming and cannot escape from the situation?

I am extremely burnt out right now and I just want to be alone. But I'm obviously not alone in my house and I'm afraid that I will not manage to get even a moment of loneliness today. This is bad enough, because tomorrow will be an extremely draining day. I don't want to go outside for a walk on my own, because this is just gonna be worse, I just cannot take in all the sensory stimulation. I already retired in my room and cut off all communication, but I still feel very bad for not being alone. I feel as if I cannot breathe. It happens from time to time and unfortunately I didn't have much alone time this week and it's taking its toll on me. I cannot close the door to my room (that would help), since it's extremely hot in here and, if I did this, the heat would become unbearable.

I just want to be alone, listen to music really loud (I cannot do so now, it would be disturbing to the others) and stim (I can't do so now, as I could be seen and I don't want any talk about me "acting like a ret*d"). That would really help me.

I cannot get this, so I feel a huge tension building up. I feel I am on the verge of a meltdown or a shutdown, probably the former. I'm really losing it and I cannot focus on doing any activity. What to do? How can I prevent a meltdown that's already on its way? What do you do in similar situations?

I think I feel that bad, because the only thing that would help me is beyond my control (I cannot make the others leave and I have nowhere to go where I'd avoid being overwhelmed).

Aspie-quiz results:
Aspie score: 138 of 200 / NT score: 78 of 200 => Very likely an Aspie.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 11:12 am

Tell everyone you're feeling really, really sick and you might puke and you need to lie down. Sometimes people are extra patient and considerate if someone is feeling ill.

Steven_Tyler77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jul 2012, 11:38 am

Thank you for your advice. Maybe they'll just leave me alone a bit...

It's not that they are doing anything bad or inconsiderate to me, though. It's just that even hearing their footsteps around the house is too much stimulation for me right now. I don't know why I feel this way, I entered a burnout stage three weeks ago and it's getting worse and worse. I hate the fact I am like that.

All this started one year ago, when I was unaware of AS, I had just discovered ADHD and I set out on a quest to improve myself, defeat the ADHD and live an NT-like life. It was a huge mistake. I'm on a losing streak since January and I also had to face some personal stressful and painful events, in addition to writing my master's thesis (which was a hellish endeavour).

When it was all over with the thesis, I just remained without any energy left. The series of events that followed got me to my knees even more. I'm drained, burnt out once again (for the third time in my life) and the worst is that people only see the fact that I successfully got my degree and, subsequently, the right to practice psychotherapy. They see no reason for me to be that exhausted and they actually increased their demands on me.

Every time I try to make an effort to just "act normal", it seems my state only gets worse and I get to act in an even more autistic way than before...

How can I stop myself from crashing so bad? How can I regain a balance? Both now and in the long run?

Aspie-quiz results:
Aspie score: 138 of 200 / NT score: 78 of 200 => Very likely an Aspie.

ptown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jul 2012, 12:32 pm

How is your nutrition? Are you eating well? Sleeping enough?
Can you put on any ear protection to drown out some sound?
What has worked for you in the past in terms of self-soothing?
I'm NT and I feel burned out, shut down, exhausted also on many levels.
For me, the worse I eat (sugar, processed food, etc), the worse I feel.