Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

spacedog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2012, 12:32 pm

My mummie might have cancer. I am super scared.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 2:13 pm

*Hug*

And as huge as it is, please try and take it step by step. And medical science can do a heck of a lot these days.

fallen_angel
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2012, 2:18 pm

I can understand that you feel scared and I am sorry for everything you and your family have to go through. But still don't give up hope. I have worked as a nurse and the diagnosis hits people hard. But there's hope. There's therapy and a lovely family and supportive people can help a lot. I wish you and your mum the best. It's important that she keeps fighting. That her spirit doesn't give up. People react on bad news of this kind sometimes with denial, despair, anger. Just know that this isn't meant towards you and her loved once. It's more an internal fight until people accept the diagnose.
You can pm me at any time if you want to. I'll reply as soon as I notice it. Stay strong. Maybe it isn't cancer. I will keep you in mind and hope things will turn out positive.

ChrisP
Toucan
Toucan

13 Aug 2012, 3:13 pm

I survived cancer nine years ago (major operation, then chemotherapy), and I lead a normal life (well, normal for an Aspie anyway :D ) apart from occasional scans and tests.

In my experience the reality of having cancer was actually less bad than the fear of it: you just concentrate on doing what's needed to get better. Cancer is really tough for the rest of the family though - you know you need to pull together to support the person who going through the treatment, but you still have to live with your own worries and fears. For an Aspie there are added stresses, not least the uncertainty, and the disturbing of routines and schedules. Facts and developments need to be talked about as openly as possible, so that there is no lurking fear that information is being withheld.

Others have said this as well, but if you would like to chat, feel free to pm me.

JoeRose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Aug 2012, 3:45 pm

Please allow me to express my greatest condolences for the situation. I have also experienced my mum have breast cancer when I was a child. It was a horrible time for me and I can relate to your situation.
The best you can do is stay strong and be very supportive of your mum. You, your family and your mum are in my prayers.

DiscardedWhisper
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2012, 3:49 pm

Wow, that sucks. I hope she beats it. =(

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 8:49 pm

Best of luck to hear beating it.

spacedog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2012, 9:53 pm

thank you everyone... for taking the time to post. I am going to make the best of the time we have left together.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 12:32 am

spacedog wrote:
thank you everyone... for taking the time to post. I am going to make the best of the time we have left together.

Definitely the best choice. Flowers are enjoyed more along the path of life, rather than after. I regret not spending more time with my dad before he passed.

ChrisP
Toucan
Toucan

14 Aug 2012, 2:41 am

spacedog wrote:
That's a good resolution for anyone to make, and sometimes it takes serious illness or a 'near miss' to alert us to the fragility of life. I don't know about others posting here, but I have no idea of how old your mother might be.

Although cancer is still a serious condition, the good news health-wise has been the extending of life expectation for most forms of the disease, The way statistics are presented can make it sound like many more people have cancer than in times past: what they actually mean is that more people with cancer are living much longer than they might once have done.

So what I'm saying is that unless your mother is very elderly, and/or suffering from what looks like the last stages of serious illness, don't give up on her yet, not least in the absence of a clear diagnosis showing a cancer too advanced to be treated. All the best!