Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 12:49 pm

Okay so I'm getting really frustrated with buying razors. I usually buy Venus razors but here in Canada those things are over $20 and the same with the refills. I'm sick of spending that much for a freaking razor. Granted, those are the best razors I've tried yet. I have really sensitive skin and I usually get ingrown hairs and nicks on my bikini line and under my arms.

The last time I bought razors I said screw it and bought regular disposable razors. Well that didn't go over too well. I can't shave my bikini line without cutting myself everywhere and same with my under arms.

I don't want to use electric razors because they don't give close enough shaves and not shaving at all is out of the question for me as is laser hair removal.

What razor is the best razor that you've tried without it costing a fortune?

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 10:47 am

Venus, but it's only about twelve dollars over here. I'd probably spend more if I absolutely had to.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 11:16 pm

Well, since you're in Canada, have you checked out Shopper's Drugmart - you can get optimum points that do add up nicely to defer the cost - I find they have good sales and sometimes you get bonus points. I always cruise the ends of the aisles for clearance items. I am just trying to think of a cheaper way - I find the Venus razor the best, too. Also with Shopper's - if you can afford to buy when you spend 50 and get a 10 dollar gift card - you could stock up and save some $$ - you still get your points. I wish I knew something different to tell you. Oh - actually - around my town, the first Tuesday of every month at most big stores is anywhere from 10 to 15% off - there's a bit of savings that might help. I think razors are such a scam. I'm so tired of shaving. Wax is hard on my skin and I don't like chemicals.

SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2012, 9:19 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjSkgz3-2Ig

When you use them, the metal develops microscopic imperfections, and jeans get rid of them.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 11:25 am

SteffiTheSmile wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjSkgz3-2Ig

When you use them, the metal develops microscopic imperfections, and jeans get rid of them.

Cool, thanks for the tip!

xBonkers
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Aug 2012, 11:58 am

I can't stand girl razors. I used to use Venus when I was younger and I hated it. It's too big and has too much going on. I switched to Gillette men's 3 blade and my legs are smoother, I never get razor burn, and I never knick my legs.

CrazyRatLady
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Aug 2012, 2:01 pm

You can also try waxing or epilating if you don't mind a bit of discomfort, if you do, you could also get hair removal creme, which makes the hairs come loose, and you just have to get it off with the little plastic 'spoon' that comes with it. You need to do the creme thing very often, though, and it is probably more expensive than just buying razors. I get what you mean about the razors, they're expensive as hell and the cheap ones will leave you cut to bits. There are plenty of tricks to make them last longer, though, like rubbing them over old jeans or storing them in alcohol, though.

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2012, 6:33 pm

I have really sensitive skin and I have found that I have to use titanium bladed razors if I want to avoid a nasty rash. (I think I have metal allergies since titanium is one of the few metals that I can safely wear as jewelry.) I've only ever found men's razors with titanium blades so that's what I have used for the past several years. I have tried using electric razors but they are rather slow, extremely expensive and they don't get as close of a shave (also, the rechargeable batteries tend to die after a few months).

In terms of avoiding in grown hairs, I find that epsom salts are somewhat helpful (dissolved in water and applied to the skin after shaving). Sometimes the salt burns a bit though. :(