Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Waffle88
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Aug 2012, 4:49 pm

Has anyone else had really bad side effects with lorazepam? I was prescribed it a few weeks ago (for relatively mild anxiety) but I flushed it down the toilet last night because it makes me feel horrible. I get periods where I feel completely out of it and I've also been going into rage mode a lot and I've started several fights in the past few weeks. I'm also getting this thing where I think I'm evil and asking my friends to kill me because I'm scared I'll be the next Hitler. Thing is... I've been taking the smallest recommended dose and I haven't taken any since Sunday night. How is this still affecting me?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 7:56 pm

I don't know, I take 0.5 mg of lorazepam four times a day and don't really feel any side effects from it. In fact if I even miss one dose I become hyper and sweaty and have trouble focusing on anything. I just sit on the couch talking to myself endlessly until my voice starts giving out. People are affected differently by the same meds and maybe this is more than just your having side effects. Also you should never go off a medication without seeing your doctor first. I've been tempted to many, many times from the horrible side effects I got from all these other pills like Paxil and Prozac and even Lithium. And that was all in one summer!

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 1:32 am

A lot of autistic people react very sensitive to medications, espessially psychiatric ones.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 2:00 am

Waffle88 wrote:
Has anyone else had really bad side effects with lorazepam? I was prescribed it a few weeks ago (for relatively mild anxiety) but I flushed it down the toilet last night because it makes me feel horrible. I get periods where I feel completely out of it and I've also been going into rage mode a lot and I've started several fights in the past few weeks. I'm also getting this thing where I think I'm evil and asking my friends to kill me because I'm scared I'll be the next Hitler. Thing is... I've been taking the smallest recommended dose and I haven't taken any since Sunday night. How is this still affecting me?

You might be extremely sensitive and it may take time to wear off. This is an emergency! Get an emergency appointment with your doctor or go to urgent care or the ER! I can't size up how bad you are doing, but it sounds like if they decide to admit you, agree to go voluntarily.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 9:24 am

Different meds have different side effects,I can take lorazepam but Xanax makes me feel like I want to die.Tell your doctor if you haven't done so.

Waffle88
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Aug 2012, 11:56 am

I don't think I need to make an appointment because it seems like the side effects are gone now, but yeah, I think I do tend to react strongly to meds. It sucks.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 6:54 am

When a friend gave me a few I only took it when my heart was skipping beats. It would make the skipping stop and it made me feel like what I'd imagine normal people felt like most of the time. I don't know what dose the pills were but I only took half of one at a time and not on a regular basis.

I was surprised when my grandmother was prescribed and took a couple for something and it put her to sleep for hours.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

01 Sep 2012, 11:58 pm

I tried it for a few days & was taking .5mg. About an hour or so after taking it my body would kind of jerk rapidly for a bit. I took it when I went to bed & for a few hours after being up I had problems focusing & was kind of out of it mentally. I saved the pills incase I have a panic attack; I started feeling the mental affects of being tired & kind of out of it shorty after taking it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 6:07 pm

Raziel wrote:
A lot of autistic people react very sensitive to medications, espessially psychiatric ones.

I agree. I do not know if there's any research on autistics and benzodiazepines, but children should not be given these durgs because of paradoxical reactions. Could b ethe same in autisitcs (not saying we're like children).

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

02 Sep 2012, 6:18 pm

ChangelingGirl wrote:
Raziel wrote:

I agree. I do not know if there's any research on autistics and benzodiazepines, but children should not be given these durgs because of paradoxical reactions. Could b ethe same in autisitcs (not saying we're like children).

I had paradoxical affects to one benzo I tried & I had paradoxical affects on a couple herbal things I tried as well. Skullcap made my hyper; 5htp & St.Jons Wort made me more emotionally sensitive. My depression didn't get better till I weaned myself off all the psych meds including antidepressants. Klonopin didn't have an affect on me except I felt shaky when I forgot to take it & I was taking 1mg 3x a day. Buspar is the one med that actually help my anxiety without making me tired & out of it mentally; it's aLOT better for my anxiety than benzos & antidepressants.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition