Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

realitysucks
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2012, 8:21 pm

I had music lessons but no matter how much I practiced I couldn't digest the notes and coordinate with my fingers. Beyond 2 notes at once I am hopeless :(

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 8:24 pm

I think some are, but it is not a requisite trait.

aspie4jc
Raven
Raven

01 Sep 2012, 8:34 pm

I found the percussion section much easier than playing a trumpet or other instrument. Most percussion is about timing and rhythm instead of getting the right notes

dajand8
Raven
Raven

01 Sep 2012, 8:56 pm

my fine motor skills were very poor as a child, but as an adult I now play the violin, banjo, guitar, ukulele, and dulcimer.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 11:56 pm

Traditional ways of learning almost anything seems to be a huge challenge across the board. I have to read a chart 10 times before I can process the piece, and 9 times out of 10 the transcriber was wrong. Or I can listen to a verse-and-a-half, a chorus and a bridge and fake my way convincingly through the song. But to get to this point I had to endure years of playing guitar like Elvis's bodyguards

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 12:58 am

There's a distinction between solo performance and ensemble work that's probably significant for autistics, once you're past the actual grind of learning notes and techniques

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 3:45 am

I am. :) It seems to override my sucky fine motor skills.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 3:52 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
I am. :)

Yep, she is.

Musical savants [with an ASD] are a known phenomena, so if they're there, people can be very good at music if they have an ASD and their brain is wired that way (savants have most of their other abilities missing, so if you add some more abilities to the mix, you'll have someone still awesome at it).

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 4:50 am

I was good when I was at school. Not played anything for about 6 years now. I have just purchased a ukulele.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 9:23 am

^ I wanna get a ukelele, just because I think they're a fun quirky instrument to learn :P

I don't play any instruments but when I did I was quick in picking it up. I had a piano teacher once who wanted me to enter an eisteddfod, that was less than 12 months after my first lesson. But I had to quit because I had to do linedance competitions instead.

Pompei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2012, 2:55 pm

My aspie son plays the violin and has incredible talent. If I have any musical ability it is very well hidden.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 3:54 pm

realitysucks wrote:
I had music lessons but no matter how much I practiced I couldn't digest the notes and coordinate with my fingers. Beyond 2 notes at once I am hopeless :(

Well I was going to say "me too" but I never actually tried or practiced piano as a kid....still it certainly didn't come naturally to me..........and I never learned to read notes in middle school when I learned the clarinet either (but again I didn't put much effort in to it).

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 9:12 pm

I'm someone with an ASD who isn't a savant, but is still good with music (or at least has a pretty high aptitude). I don't really think it's preliminary as much as I just so happen to be a case of ASD with music as a special interest that got fostered throughout my life.

Then I have done my job