Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2012, 8:04 am

Does anyone else here find it incredibly weird that many women are not only obsessed with shoes but with shoes that hurt their feet?

At my wedding, my husband's best friend's wife wore these shoes that had high heels and a little window at the front, and her toes were turning purple as they were being squeezed through that little opening. I looked at her and was like, "You should take those things off... they must be really uncomfortable." She admitted that they were quite painful, but she continued to wear them the rest of the night...

I have only a few shoes that I can wear, so shoe shopping is Hell for me. My feet are really sensitive... people tell me that I have to develop calluses... but when I've tried sticking it out and waiting for calluses to form, my feet would become raw to the point that I couldn't take a step without extreme pain... I can't wear shoes with ankle supports that hit my Achilles' tendon or that squeeze my front toes or that are higher than an inch or with arch supports because they bother me so much. I would prefer to go barefoot, but those Vibram shoes pull in and are hard at the heel right where the heel meets the Achilles'.

Don't even get me started on women's clothes sizes... "Oh, you want a blazer... well, Designer 1 is over there, and Designer 2 is on the other side of the store, and Designer 3... What size are you? Well, that varies by designer... You'll have to try everything in the store on. Isn't that exciting?!"

forkful_of_soup
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Sep 2012, 5:48 pm

I actually like high heels. I know a lot of autistic women don't. I don't wear them often, though, and it's really important to have a proper fit. Poorly fitting shoes can do horrible things to your feet. What really bothers me are shoes that are too warm. My feet get hot easily, and if my feet are hot, I'm too hot.

And yes, women's fashion is ridiculous.

AliceInAspieland
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Sep 2012, 7:31 am

I have the same issues. I love shoes. I love heels, stilettos. I dream about possibly owning a pair of Christian Louboutin's, but realistically I'd wear them for about 2 seconds. It's the same with clothes. I think it's the design and aesthetic that I enjoy.

I live in flat shoes. I'm terribly fussy too. I bought this one sort of black leather ballet flats from the same shop, same brand, same size for about three years. They weren't expensive, cost only about $30 AUD. I wore them to they feel apart each time. I was devastated when they stopped selling and making them. I'm awful to go shoe shopping with. I'll try on a hundred pairs and not buy one.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 7:33 am

I don't get it (uncomfortable shoes) either. But then you must have noticed that those aren't the only uncomfortable things people wear. Women (and some men) wear all sorts of ridiculous thing for fashion throughout history. Like corset, hoop skirt, foot binding...etc. Think about all those plastic surgery out there. Some people would do anything to look good.

I don't ever wear uncomfortable shoes. Even for my wedding I wore low heeled sandals. I hand-embellised them myself to make them look dressier. I do think some aspies are naturals for heels, though. I mean think about all the toe walkers, they already got all they need for wearing heels gracefully. Though they probably need wide width shoes, as toe walkers tend to have broad feet.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 7:55 am

y-pod wrote:

I don't ever wear uncomfortable shoes. Even for my wedding I wore low heeled sandals. I hand-embellised them myself to make them look dressier. .

:D I wore a sundress and Birkenstocks for my wedding. It was on the beach, and my husband wore khakis and a white dress shirt.
I still have a fascination with Doc Martens, even though I don't own any currently. I just liked the fact they were darn near indestructible and lasted forever.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 9:26 am

I've worn heels or platforms on occasion. I have trouble wearing heels that don't have an ankle strap. Any sort of slip-on heels or kitten heels or pumps I have trouble with as they slip off my feet; I'm in between sizes 7-8 and you can't usually get 7 1/2's. Size 7's would be too tight and painful, 8's too big. I can wear size 7 strappy heels with no problems though. I actually think strappy heels look better if you go a size smaller than your normal foot size.

When I wear them I usually have those silicone or foam inserts handy though. They help a lot and can make you stand your shoes for at least a couple of hours.

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Sep 2012, 10:15 am

I do not have an arch in my feet, I am compleatly flat footed so shoes were a nightmare as a child. I'm also pretty clumsy, I walk like a bloke so when I was at school and I was late, I used to take my shoes off and carry them as I ran to class because it never occurred to me I could just wear flat laced shoes. Now I primarily wear Teva walking sandles in the summer and Dr Martins in the winter. I hate shoe shopping so I'm normally dragged there every few years by my mother even though I don't live at home and haven't for 5 years. I am someone who as an adult only wears shoes for comfort...although weddings suck and I have to wear high heels and my feet hate me the whole day.
I'm the same with clothes...most of my clothes are from charity shops, hand-me-downs or mum dragging me to a clothes store.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 7:27 pm

I have an easier time finding strappy heels than closed toe flats I've noticed. I think it has to do more with the shape of my feet. Everyone's obsessed with wide width and to be honest, I've never had wide feet in my whole life. strike one against cheapy flats. Then too, on top of that, I notice the fit of the toe box tends to be wrong for the shape of my foot (they're made for the people who have the longer 2nd toe, and my big toe is my longest toe and my 2nd toe is short and small like the rest of my other toes). so that strike two. That and a lot of shoes arches just don't hit me in the right spot it seems.

Other than flipflops and sneakers, in the summer time I gravitate towards platform wedges (granted, keep in mind I'm dating someone 10 inches taller than me). In the winter time, I've pretty much spent the last 7 years of my life living in a pair of black square toe leather naturalizer boots. They just fit my feet so comfortably.

Someone mentioned docs? I have a pair of brown dress docs, I've had them since 2005, and virtually indestructible is about right. Good quality shoes.

heatherbk
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2012, 11:02 pm

I have a hard time finding high heels that are comfortable because I'm a "w". Last time I tried to walk in 5 inch stilettos, the pain was immeasurable o_o I immediately ditched those and bought a pair of flats. I have heard many great things about Cole Haan shoes but haven't tried them yet. I get why some women are obsessed about it but I'm not fashion forward :D

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 5:25 am

I have high arches, so shoe shopping is a nightmare. I simply can't get certain styles on, and I just walk out of ballet pumps.

I'm only comfortable when I'm wearing these.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skechers-Womens ... 131&sr=8-1
I have them in brown and mustard and will be getting them in stone, when they come in again.

When I go out somewhere special, I wear these, which are comfortable enough for dancing. They have a zip and they're roomy, so I can get them on easily, despite my high arch.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hush-Puppies-Wo ... 336&sr=1-1
I have them in black and have just ordered a red pair.

I don't have a lot of shoes, just those, some trainers (sneakers) and winter and welly boots.

NextDoorLunatic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Sep 2012, 7:17 am

I like high heels but I can't walk in them well and they hurt my feet quickly. I don't understand why people would wear them everyday, since it can actually cause permanent damage, but I feel a lot better wearing higher shoes when I'm in a dress, for example. It stretched the body shape a little and just feels very appropriate.
I can also understand why some people prefer a type of shoes for (or despite) reasons I don't understand. I love to wear Converse because they make me more confident. I have no clue why and others don't either... so it's just a matter of personal preferance.

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2012, 1:21 am

These (link)Nike Eclipse are all I really like to wear. They're soft all over, and the soles are flexible. They take about a week to wear in, and they don't wear in my feet in the process.

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2012, 6:18 am

y-pod wrote:
Even for my wedding I wore low heeled sandals.

I had high heels for the wedding ceremony but kicked them off for photos, and went barefoot for the rest of the night.

On other formal occasions, such as dances or other people's weddings, I will remove my shoes after the formal part of the night and dance away comfortably in bare feet. I have noticed that I am not the only one doing that.

I think that to look good, you must be comfortable and confident in what you are wearing. You need a good compromise between what is expected on the occasion, current trends, your own personal touch to your style, and your physical comfort. If heels make you feel good, by all means wear them. But they make my feet hurt and cramp up and I think that a smile on my face is more socially important than shoes on my feet.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 12:35 pm

i have shoe fetish
i have 7-8 pairs
boots, heels, flats, sports shoes, mojris
i love buying them and experimenting with different dresses
but then i dont have a social life so whats the use of keeping them in
cupboard forever.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 9:11 pm

I am extremely picky about shoes because of sensory issues. I have always had a hard time finding shoes I find comfortable for daily wear. Also, I'm a size 10 or 11, so it's harder to find any shoes in my size to begin with, let alone ones I like. But I've never had a problem with high heels. I've toe-walked all my life. High heels are basically toe-walking. But whenever I'm able, I kick my shoes off and go barefoot so I can toe-walk for real.

Nash: Is there a difference?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 10:37 pm

my feet are hard to fit, because they are narrow at the heel and wide at the toe. i have an extra bone that sticks out next to my ankle too. also i have to wear inserts to help with my knee arthritis, and they don't fit inside high heeled shoes.

i never really liked the look of high heeled shoes. people look uncomfortable in them, and their gait is "off". considering that they also hurt, i don't get the point.

i like to wear interesting and unusual fashions on my body, but i don't ever wear anything uncomfortable (i.e. no wool, not even cashmere because it itches me). i guess that translates into footwear too - i choose practical styles.

most of the time i wear shoes like this:
[img][800:900]http://images.rubyshoesdayhebdenbridge.co.uk/images/products/zoom/1301072155-17905800.jpg[/img]
or i wear trainers.