Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

bobbers
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Oct 2012, 4:06 pm

I have a friend who was hard of hearing growing up, and even though she has had corrective surgery...she still suffers from low self-esteem. She told me that she has always wanted to be someone else, and wanted people to like her. She was teased a lot because of her disability in school, and didn’t have a whole lot of friends. She told me that since that 1st grade she would get these attachments to other girls who she wanted to be like, or be friends with, and just admired for some reason. Not in a romantic way! She said these attachments would last for years sometimes. She doesn’t follow them around, or even talk about them that much, but she thinks about that person a lot...especially when she's bored, around them, or in the time before she goes to bed. She might turn a conversation to a topic about the person or something the person likes. She can’t stop but thinks about these people often. She also said that she's always liked the idea of being in a big family, but her family is rather small and she doesn’t get to extended family very often. So she fantasizes about all her extended family getting together, and makes up scenarios in her head about them. She said she mainly does this in the time before she goes to sleep, or bored. She tries to find out information about these people via Facebook, but about it. She also get attached to certain characters from TV shows and movies, and will make up scenarios with these characters in it, or will imagine what life would be like if she was in the plot line, or had to deal with certain issues problems. She tend to obsess over a topics related to health because she’s always worried about it. She has a little bit a sound issues, but this only occurred after she had ear surgery. She is really good at remembering birthday’s once she sees it or hear it, even of people she hasn’t seen in a while. She will sometimes listen to the same song over and over for a while, and play the same computer game for a while, but this doesn’t interfere with her life…she can stop play games and listening to music without trouble. She only seems to do that when she’s bored and by herself. She is an introvert, so she needs her alone time, but will never give up an opportunity to hang out with friends. She suffers from OCD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, but she has good people skills even though she is shy. Once you get to know her you can talk to her about anything and vice versa. She is a very understanding person. She didn’t have OCD or anxiety disorder till she was older, and she worries a lot about her health. She grew up in a difficult family and that's where I think a lot of her anxiety comes from. She sometimes avoids social situation out of fear of being judged by others, or if she doesn’t know the people very well. Other times she seems very outgoing to strangers, and seems very at ease. She pretty laid back when she isn’t worried about something, and doesn’t get mad all the often. Changes in routine don’t seem to bother her. She has several close friends, and a wide circle of acquaintances to whom she speaks to often. Teachers love her because she never causes any trouble. She always gets jokes, and has a great sense of humor. She doesn’t have a problem with eye contact, even when she is nervous. I don't think she has Asperger's, but she is worried about it.....so I would like to hear from those who have Asperger's if you think she does or doesn’t! Thanks!
Sorry for rambling, but I tried to include everything she told me about.

She scored 18 on AQ, 14 on SQ, and 57 on EQ, and very likely neurotypical on aspie test, but still can't help but worry!

nokosage
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2012, 4:16 pm

Probably not.

Does she think that she does, or is it just you?

bobbers
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Oct 2012, 4:23 pm

She knows that she probably doesn't have it, but OCD creates doubt in her mind....so she has these irrational fears. She's worried about many things, and I'm trying to reasure her. Thanks for your reply.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 4:26 pm

Not even close. Though she sounds a little like me, the difference is I actually had difficulty with change, problems reading people and social cues, took things literal, didn't understand jokes or sarcasm, had sensory processing disorder and dyspraxia, had poor theory of mind, so that was enough for my psychiatrist to say I have an ASD.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

dazedorconfused
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2012, 4:34 pm

Not even close she is a normal person who has had difficulty in her life and is learning to adjust. I have always been drawn to people who have had issues in the past and need a little time and reassurance for them to move on. They are more accepting of my differences. I have seen this a lot with individuals who have had issues that can be seen... IE hearing, scars, moles, etc

What she really needs from you is not showing her that she doesn't have AS but showing her how special she is. Once she sees this the thought that something is wrong, different, fear of antagonizing, etc will diminish.

She sounds like a great imaginative playful person and needs to have some people in her life that believe that and see that in her.

BTW big families can be nice but they can also be a pain.

bobbers
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Oct 2012, 4:37 pm

Thanks for your responses! I know she is a fantastic person, and I'm trying to help her see that.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Oct 2012, 4:42 pm

She doesn't sound like she has AS to me.

dazedorconfused
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2012, 4:58 pm

bobbers wrote:
Thanks for your responses! I know she is a fantastic person, and I'm trying to help her see that.

Just make sure you do it through positive thoughts and not the "you don't have AS come on". Instead use the route that she communicates just great with you and you always laugh at her jokes or whatever is the truth. Focus on what she does right rather than fighting the wrong that may coexist with AS.

iamcoley
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2012, 5:06 pm

I'm not a professional so I can't diagnose anyone but I have a few tips and I agree with what the others have written too.

Tell her never to worry about something she has no capacity to change! Asperger’s is for life and it won’t ever go anyway, she can’t receive a cure whether she has a diagnosis or not. If she is happy in life and sees no reason to seek help regarding her behavioral issues, then there is especially nothing to worry about; whether she has AS or not.

Perhaps there are things she does want to change about her thinking, and that’s fine too but whatever it is, she stills needs to see a professional who can help her change those thoughts patterns. OCD sounds like it contributes to the majority of her “quirks” and there are people out there to help if she wants it.

Stay being a good friend, and you don't need to dismiss her concerns - just reassure her that she is a great person no matter how her brain is wired!

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 6:06 pm

I dont think she has aspergers. It just sounds like she has OCD, social anxiety issues. Though her obsessions seem pretty relate-able.

bobbers
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Oct 2012, 9:27 am

Ai_Ling wrote:
I dont think she has aspergers. It just sounds like she has OCD, social anxiety issues. Though her obsessions seem pretty relate-able.

If you don't mind me asking, what is it about her obsessions that is relate-able? Everyone is obsessed about something.