Do people with Asperger's look different?

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 7:09 pm

Do people with Asperger's look different from NTs?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 7:25 pm

No.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Samian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2012, 7:25 pm

I think it's not so much they look different but that they look at you differently. It's the facial expressions that are different.

Have a look on youtube for aspergers people and watch if they move their eyebrows when speaking.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 7:46 pm

No. They look at you and wonder why you don't get it--there is no obvious clue, like Down's syndrome. It is especially puzzling when you are obviously gifted.

Last edited by BTDT on 29 Nov 2012, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeW999
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2012, 7:49 pm

Jitro wrote:

Nope! That is a problem as well. People often thing I am being rude or arrogant, or that I just have a chip on my shoulder. You won't know how many times I was forced into fights over this. We look just like everybody else, but our brains are wired differently.. I am sick of being treated like I am a bad person.

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2012, 8:18 pm

Well I look different, but generalising things ain't right. I think some aspies got smaller body frame because of unusual eating habits and others have sorta like a "baby face", look younger than their real age in other words. That's all I know.

KirstinLee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Nov 2012, 9:22 pm

I've heard that depending on "how autistic" you are, you might look younger than you actually are. However, I don't know how much basis that has in fact.

I think its more a matter of AS causing you to look a certain way due to it's individual effect on your personality, rather than a direct correlation. Some people are skinny because AS causes them to eat certain things at certain times every day, and those things happen to be healthy. I have a hard time losing weight because my escape from everyday mild sensory overload is (regretably) sugar. I also (maybe incorrectly) believe that the reason I love breads so much is because supposedly autistic people can't process most breads correctly, and they build up a type of opiate in the body that helps calm down sensory experiences as well. Or maybe I just like bread more than I probably should -- I'm not sure. (;

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 10:12 pm

There is no real standard for measuring physical appearance in a world where no two people are alike, so no.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 11:42 pm

Jitro wrote:

Not usually so you'd notice, but according to research (and to the trained eye), yes:

https://sfari.org/news-and-opinion/in-b ... ose-autism

and

http://www.stat.missouri.edu/faculty/fl ... mun_12.PDF

There's lots more out there.

I put up a poll about this recently. I have the posteriorly rotated ears, flat malar region and reasonably wide set eyes.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Last edited by whirlingmind on 01 Dec 2012, 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 12:15 am

Besides the third eyeballs in our foreheads, not really.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 12:52 am

i have the unusual hair whorls.

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 1:30 am

I've read they we do look different. However it's not typically noticeable, unlike with Down Syndrome.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 1:49 am

i read in various places and times, that with us aspies there is a statistically signifigant rate increase regarding bodily asymmetry [unequal-length limbs, differently-sized eyes, non-uniform/uneven bone structure et al.]

socalaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Nov 2012, 2:36 am

Generally yes. Youthful appearance for age, oftentimes a large head in comparison to body, very earthy, naive look, etc.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 6:38 am

KirstinLee wrote:
I've heard that depending on "how autistic" you are, you might look younger than you actually are. However, I don't know how much basis that has in fact.

I think its more a matter of AS causing you to look a certain way due to it's individual effect on your personality, rather than a direct correlation. Some people are skinny because AS causes them to eat certain things at certain times every day, and those things happen to be healthy. I have a hard time losing weight because my escape from everyday mild sensory overload is (regretably) sugar. I also (maybe incorrectly) believe that the reason I love breads so much is because supposedly autistic people can't process most breads correctly, and they build up a type of opiate in the body that helps calm down sensory experiences as well. Or maybe I just like bread more than I probably should -- I'm not sure. (;

I can't tolerate bread as I can't eat wheat without getting an horrendously upset stomach. Then again I am not sure if I have Aspergers and I have relatives with Coeliac disease...

So it may be an individual thing. I can't digest bread but for different reasons.

Milk has a calming effect but it gives me flatulence...

Therefore recently I prefer to stick to a gluten free milk free diet. I also avoid most processed foods. I tend to find this helps more.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 7:19 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Besides the third eyeballs in our foreheads, not really.

Of course, it's hidden under a thick layer of skin.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html