what is it with transportation devices

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 11:08 am

that gets aspies so obsessed with them? I know I've been pretty obsessed with subways for a long time, but that's not the only transportation device. I know all sorts of in-depth information about automobiles, I love going to airports, and am even fascinated big ships and boats too. I know we have several people here that are totally enthused with various transportation devices too. Can't leave out Cockney and her Routemeasters :) I figure it is because theymove and are animated, and it's just plain fun to ride on whatever transit device it may be, watch the scenery go by, feel the engines running, or just watch them from the outside do their thing!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 11:14 am

I have had that sort of fascination, too.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 11:39 am

Good question. I've been obssessed with antique cars since childhood. I can amuse myself by going to Ebay and just looking at the various cars for sale.

Is it that these things get us to somewhere? The excitement of going fast? The technology of how the engines work?

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 11:40 am

Well, My fascination with transportation devices has always been practical. It IS a good idea to know how a car engine works. In my divers ed class, we had a test on the engine, and some questions were ones only *I* got right! I didn't always know the answer, but figured it out logically.

And have you ever seen the wings on some large aircraft? If you get nervous, and don't undestand how they work, DON'T LOOK OUTSIDE! Sometimes almost the whole wing moves, with a gaping hole in the center, to change the aerodynamics. It's bad enough when the diminutive flaps are extended, etc... And HEY, I AM glad to know they are finally using MAG LEV for something besides toys!

And HECK, even some jet engines almost seem to come apart, to reverse thrust on landing so they can have shorter runways! Of course, they have air brakes for the same reason. The air brakes just don't work nearly as well.

BESIDES, I used to be almost like warren buffet. I never dealt with things I didn't know about. Following that logic, I could never fly in a plane without understanding it, so I learned about planes a LONG time ago. I think the first plane I flew on was a 747. That thing wa like a HOUSE! I still remember my father showing me this HUGE empty restaurant, and saying that the 747 was larger than that. This was when big meant LUXURY, an before the big inflations, etc... So that 747 was astounding by todays standards. It had a full bar, couches, and I believe a piano. All where on the top deck of course. Until relatively recently, I think the 747 was the only public aircraft to have such an arrangement.

Steve

Zenmiester
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2006, 11:45 am

I've been obsessed with buses ever since I was five years old and my grandfather used to take me to the city center by bus. At some point I must have realized that not all buses are the same. And once you're aware of that fact, you always will be.

For some time, when I was too old to go on a tour with my grandfather just for fun, I dropped that hobby a little. But on the way to school I would still prefer older buses over new ones. Then with the help of the internet I noticed that some people take photos of buses and sometimes make websites, and got back into it. Today I love it to ride on an old bus that has already been around when I was a little kid as some form of nostalgia.

The variety of different manufacturers and types has always been fascinating to me. It would be a lot less interesting if the same type ran on the same line every day. There are enough changes that hardly one production series is the same. Of course, there are also the schedules for every route. I used to write my own when I was in elementary school. There are a lot of variables that have to be considered for a schedule to work.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 1:48 pm

I had a boyfriend in highschool and he and his buddies would sit around and talk about car parts until I began to blled from my eyeballs and went into a coma....I have sense recovered,but have no interest in the loud,crowded mods of transportation.I do enjoy the fumes and smell of gas in general....

Only transportation I have ever liked is bikes and horses/mules.But I dont really care much about how they are made...just how it feels to ride with the wind in my face,and they smell nice to me,also.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Zenmiester
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2006, 2:10 pm

krex wrote:
I had a boyfriend in highschool and he and his buddies would sit around and talk about car parts until I began to blled from my eyeballs and went into a coma....I have sense recovered,but have no interest in the loud,crowded mods of transportation.I do enjoy the fumes and smell of gas in general....

Hmm, I might also add that while I'm a "fan" of both auto racing and public transportation, I couldn't care less about mechanical stuff and cars in general. People would often think I was a car freak.

airbikecop
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2006, 2:24 pm

When I was a little kid, I knew everything about tires, and was obsessed. I know that a fascination with one specific item, like tires on a car is normal. However, my obsession switched to automobiles. I know a lot about various makes and models of cars, but do not know or care much about the mechanical stuff.

DoubleFeed
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2006, 3:04 pm

I'm an Aviation Maintenance Technician in training. My obsession is going to be my vocation.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 3:22 pm

For me it's propeller driven airplanes and submarines.

I'm curious too about the original question. What the hell is the connection with aspergers?

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2006, 1:19 pm

DoubleFeed wrote:
I'm an Aviation Maintenance Technician in training. My obsession is going to be my vocation.

Miltary or Civilian??

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2006, 1:51 pm

AV-geek wrote:
that gets aspies so obsessed with them?

Aspies being the scientist and logical thinking benefit the sociality much, transport is vital for the success of a nation, especially if it wants to win wars.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2006, 2:38 pm

Do rollercoasters fit into that category because I've definitely been obsessed with those. Trains are also nice to look at. :P I also love to ride in planes and look out the window and see everything turn all minuature.

Enigmatic
Toucan
Toucan

24 Dec 2006, 3:09 pm

Space vehicles from Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo have always held a lot of fascination for me.

DoubleFeed
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Dec 2006, 6:22 pm

Scrapheap wrote:
DoubleFeed wrote:

Miltary or Civilian??
Civilian.

rauschenberg232
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Dec 2006, 7:19 pm

for a long time i have been obsessed with roads and bridges. i have on numerous occasions gone far out of my way to take a newly opened flyover exit, or gotten lost because i needed to figure out where a road ended. i don't get too excited about the actual machines (cars, planes, trains, etc.), though.

i'm also pretty obsessed with staircases (a little different, but they are involved in transport in a sense), i have a huge file of photographs of staircases on my computer, as well as a large box of photographs i've cut out of magazines.