any people of asian descent on this forum?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

vk2goh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2012, 3:31 pm

Just wondering if I am the only asian using this discussion forum ?

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 3:45 pm

I'm asian! Full chinese. Well kinda evident in my screen name although that is not my real name.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 4:01 pm

My parents are from Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh.
South asian, probably not what you're looking for.

Though i think it counts

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 5:48 pm

<--- Part Asian.

It's interesting when speaking about Asians and aspies. I was thinking about how, in the Asian culture, they don't come out and say bluntly what they mean which is, of course, hard for a black & white aspie thinker. For instance, the aspie could be in a room watching TV with the volume on high. The Asian, a more traditional and/or older one anyway, would say something like, "Imagine a world where you have been suddenly blinded. Just think, in that expanse of black nothingness, your reliance on your hearing in tantamount to your survival." In other words, turn that damn TV down!

vk2goh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2012, 6:58 pm

I grew up playing a lot of video games, watching movies and studying a lot. Im not sure if those things contributed to my Aspie condition.

When Im with white friends I can't have a conversation for more than 5 minutes, and even if I do have a long conversation, it would be about my problems or anything academic

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 4:46 am

Hi all, I'm Asian. :)

BrokenEnvoke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2012, 5:10 am

Might be harder to be an aspie in China for example.
From what I've gathered, people that aren't "normal" tend to get shunned by the society.

vk2goh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Dec 2012, 9:24 pm

I don't think it would be harder. If anything your more than likely going to blend in with the white collar class.

From living in China for 6 months, I found that the white collar class don't read social clues and emotions well, but the blue collar class (e.g. nannies, cooks, cleaners) pick up on them much faster.

Studying, watching movies and playing video games are common activities there as well

Im speaking about people who have never been educated or lived in a western country.
If the person is more westernised they obviously can read social cues better

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 10:18 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
<--- Part Asian.

It's interesting when speaking about Asians and aspies. I was thinking about how, in the Asian culture, they don't come out and say bluntly what they mean which is, of course, hard for a black & white aspie thinker. For instance, the aspie could be in a room watching TV with the volume on high. The Asian, a more traditional and/or older one anyway, would say something like, "Imagine a world where you have been suddenly blinded. Just think, in that expanse of black nothingness, your reliance on your hearing in tantamount to your survival." In other words, turn that damn TV down!

oh gosh, I have a hard enough time reading western non-verbal cues which is a more straight forward culture. I'm actually rather curious to know how I would have fared in china? hmm w/e

chessimprov
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2012, 1:15 am

Taiwanese here.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 1:04 pm

Namaste i am from India

Perceptionkiller
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Dec 2012, 1:32 pm

half japan here, and half switzerland... how r u??

vk2goh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2012, 8:59 pm

Good. Not only Im happy to be hear that Im not the only asian on this forum, but also that our cultural group is being honest about the problems we face.

As redrobin said earlier, a problem our older generation is their not honest and straightfoward about problems

Without criticising or discriminating anyone here, would those of you who studied hard say that it had an affect on your condition?

Im just curious cause I've gone through all that, plus living a hermit lifestyle, so Im just wondering if environment plays a large part

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 9:10 pm

vk2goh wrote:
Good. Not only Im happy to be hear that Im not the only asian on this forum, but also that our cultural group is being honest about the problems we face.

As redrobin said earlier, a problem our older generation is their not honest and straightfoward about problems

Without criticising or discriminating anyone here, would those of you who studied hard say that it had an affect on your condition?Im just curious cause I've gone through all that, plus living a hermit lifestyle, so Im just wondering if environment plays a large part

a negative or positive effect?

vk2goh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2012, 9:59 pm

negative, but it's entirely optional for you to answer this question

Sempiternal
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 10:15 pm

I'm Asian! Vietnamese and Chinese.

It's odd though. The site in general seems to lack Asians, but the thread where I post a lot (well, used to post a lot I guess) on this site has quite a bit of Asian WPers. :o