Page 1 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Dec 2012, 1:12 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwtoH3zadXA[/youtube]Even people who aren't Jehovah's Witnesses know Christmas is a pagan holiday.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 2:09 pm

which in itself means nothing.

i am in a way happier to associate christmas with yule instead, it is a lesser used religion and one where the current practitioners frankly dont care, as long as they can enjoy yule with friends and family theyre happy, same goes for most of the remaining populationn, christian christmas, hannuka or not.

the one thing i cant stand about christmas is the politized battle plan fo t he local cults and convents, they take up my time and others and become extremely aggresive in their methods during "their holiday"

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 3:37 pm

kxmode wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwtoH3zadXA[/youtube]Even people who aren't Jehovah's Witnesses know Christmas is a pagan holiday.

I could have told you that. The folks in the forests of Northern Europe needed their Yule Logs to light up the gloom and their glueg to pickle their brains.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 5:02 pm

Regardless of the pagan holidays that had been observed on Christmas, we don't celebrate them. We are celebrating the birth of Christ, regardless of what date he may have really been born on. Regardless of the Yule celebrations of my Pre-Christian ancestors in the cold northern forests of Europe, the bearded old man I tell my daughter will be flying overhead on Christmas Eve isn't the god Wodan. So in other words - who cares what date Christmas is celebrated on?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 5:05 pm

I'm not posting a video that made me smile, because people might start to think I'm obsessed with Islam.

It is funny, though, and has nothing to do with Pat Condell or hating Muslims. Just good old fashioned mockery of a bigot.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Dec 2012, 5:18 pm

Tequila wrote:
I'm not posting a video that made me smile, because people might start to think I'm obsessed with Islam.

I think that ship has sailed.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 8:08 pm

The modern holiday Christmas is very different from the pagan holidays it was invented to counter, though a few pagan traditions stubbornly persist themselves, such as decorating trees. Caroling began in the pagan winter holidays but it was been re-worked by christians and is now far removed from a drunken mob roving around town vandalizing people's houses and threatening to injure them if they didn't give them food.

Delivering presents sounds a little out-of-character for Odin, but I've heard of some elf who was supposed to do it for the pagans and that makes more sense.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 8:19 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I think that ship has sailed.

Very long ago?

Go on, I know you want to dress me as Hitler.

(Don't mention Hamas or Hazbollah though, whatever you do.)

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 8:25 pm

Screw all of that noise.

I celebrate X-MAS, not "Christmas."

You get tanked on peppermint Schnapps while playing Skyrim on X-Mas Eve, and spent X-Mas Day hung-over. I couldn't care less what a bunch of rock-worshiping pagans celebrated a gazillion years ago, or however it is Christians celebrate their "Christmas" today. :D

Wassail!

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 8:37 pm

You do realize that that abbreviation got started because "X" was used as a symbol for the word "Christ", right?

So you just said you celebrate Christmas.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 8:47 pm

Tensu wrote:
You do realize that that abbreviation got started because "X" was used as a symbol for the word "Christ", right?

So you just said you celebrate Christmas.

No, I celebrate "X-Mas."

It involves getting drunk on peppermint Schnapps on X-Mas Ever and playing video games.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 11:00 pm

I think we should bring back the celebration of Saturnalia and fatten people up and murder them on Dec 25th. And then run around naked and singing.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 11:16 pm

You mean some people don't anymore? :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 11:32 pm

kxmode wrote:
Even people who aren't Jehovah's Witnesses know Christmas is a pagan holiday.

So? The days of the week are named after pagan gods. What about that?

Jehovah's Witnesses have no authority to dictate what the rest of us will and will not do for fun.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 11:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
kxmode wrote:
Even people who aren't Jehovah's Witnesses know Christmas is a pagan holiday.

So? The days of the week are named after pagan gods. What about that?

Jehovah's Witnesses have no authority to dictate what the rest of us will and will not do for fun.

On top of that, every other Christian or claiming to be Christian denomination celebrates Christmas. Sort of leaves the Witnesses the odd man out.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 12:22 am

World Wide Church of God(Herbert Armstrong) didn't,maybe they have changed their beliefs now.I took their bible study course years ago.They quoted Jeremiah 10:2-4,which pretty much says,Learn not the way of the heathen,they take up a tree and decorate it.(I am to tired to type it all but if anyone wants to look it up,those are the verses.)
I went to their church a few times,the only sermon I remember was in El Dorado Ar and it was titled;

The Devil and Doritos
To sum it up the devil does not want you to be healthy so he is the real creator of junk food.
They followed the OT holidays and dietary laws.I actually enjoyed that church.