Does anyone remember Animals of Farthing Wood?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 5:12 pm

So! This was a show that was based on a series of books written by one Colin Dann. The premise was initially as follows: a forest is targeted by people to be chopped down so houses can be built, so a group of resident animals gathers together to travel to a nature reserve called White Deer Park. They first have to take an oath where they vow they will not harm or eat each other, as there are also many predators joining the group.

The cartoon ran for 39 episodes scattered across 3 seasons, with the first season being about the journey from Farthing Wood to White Deer Park, and the remaining 26 episodes about the animals' further adventures in White Deer Park.

It was actually quite intense for a childrens' show, as it frequently featured main characters actually dying of various causes, while new characters joined, making for a diverse, revolving cast of characters.

Anyone else enjoyed this show when they were little?

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 3:59 pm

I used to watch it a lot. I also remember it being quite dark for a children's cartoon!

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 11:36 pm

It never aired here in the states to my knowledge, but I looked it up on wikipedia and it sounds like quite the epic adventure! Maybe I'll get to see it on DVD someday, or something. I'll bump this thread if/when I do!

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 3:48 pm

Just checked Amazon USA and it doesn't have a DVD available for your region unfortunately :( There is a VHS which is great for old fashioned people like me, but not if you don't own a VCR! The books are available though.

[edit] or you could watch it on Youtube

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MaFL84DwqM[/youtube]

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 4:13 pm

Ahh... at least one other fan of Farthing Wood! I used to catch the re-runs up until my teens. I was quite crazy about the show.

Who were your favourite characters in it, Jellybean? I was always partial to Fox, Adder, and Weasel in the first season, and I was really into the story arc of Fox's son Bold in the second season.

Something that was special about Farthing Wood, is that it was translated in many European languages ad per its distribution by EBU/UER. Here in the Netherlands, we even got two Dutch versions! Initially, they aired a version that was dubbed with Belgian voice actors, called 'Beestenbos is Boos' (or 'Beast Forest is Angry') and several years later a dub with a Dutch cast was made, called 'Het Wakkere Woud' ('The Vigilant Woods'). My preference was always for the Belgian, Flemish dub.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 6:03 pm

This wasmy fav kids show growing up....I hated fox....he was too "nt " but I didn't know about baptism back then. I think my personal fan characters were weasel, adder and the rabbit family esp the father rabbit. In season 2 I liked the foxes from white deer park best. They're not do gooders. Season 3 caught me liking badger and owl who had bothturned cynical at that point.

swashyrose
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Dec 2012, 5:56 am

I remember that!! !! sadly vaguely though, it wasn't my favourite cartoon, I would get secretly very frustrated by the fact the animals all talked a language the other animal species could understand..
but I regularly got the magazine! it had puzzles and written stories, rather than just comics, and seemed more sophisticated than the other kid's mags and subscribing to it appealed to my pretentious delusions of maturity. I remember there was a kestrel, and that through watching this, I found out what a kestrel was. I remember it seemed an innocent and 'proper' series to be in to, and worth mentioning around my slightly haughty grandmother.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 11:54 am

swashyrose wrote:
I remember that!! !! sadly vaguely though, it wasn't my favourite cartoon, I would get secretly very frustrated by the fact the animals all talked a language the other animal species could understand..
but I regularly got the magazine! it had puzzles and written stories, rather than just comics, and seemed more sophisticated than the other kid's mags and subscribing to it appealed to my pretentious delusions of maturity. I remember there was a kestrel, and that through watching this, I found out what a kestrel was. I remember it seemed an innocent and 'proper' series to be in to, and worth mentioning around my slightly haughty grandmother.

Ahh, yes, I too found out what a kestrel was through this show!

I remember most of my friends in school were watching it as well, and we discussed it vigourously. Good times! 8)

mitchmimi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Dec 2012, 10:06 pm

ah that takes me back it was very disturbing for a kids show keistors death ( she was shot and eaten by the farmer ) and whistlers debut was always very frightning to me as a kid and as 30 year old still is the hedgehogs deaths was also sad too thinking about it this was a depresing show wasent it lol