Do you make a big deal out of New Years Eve?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BeauZa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2012, 6:58 am

As I type, it is coming up to 11pm in Australia (GMT +10). I'm home but I can hear the fireworks displays ringing loud and true. I'm passing the time playing video games, as I always do.
I know everybody else is out celebrating, but I just don't see reason to do anything different simply because we're about to start a new year. There have been lots of these before.

Do you respond to New Years Eve? What do you do on New Years Eve?

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 7:10 am

Happy New Year to you!
I usually go round to my parents and watch them switch between tv channels. That drives me nuts, this year I have already told them I have a bad cold and am staying in bed.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 7:37 am

I get high on energy drinks and listen to The Kinks. :)

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 7:55 am

Not anymore. I had a pretty bad 31st Dec 2 years ago. It basically involved my mother and my aunt having a fight (over money, of all things), when we were over to visit to celebrate the day with them, and that fight lead to my mother, our dog, and I storming out of the house. We ended up at my father's house, who was drunk as he often was back then, so basically it was ANOTHER fight, that caused me to have a major meltdown, and my mother and the dog went back to my aunt's house, while I stayed behind, angry at everyone. I later found out that my mother and aunt had reconciliated and the whole family had had a great New Year's Eve, which had excluded me, of course.

I consciously chose to not celebrate New Year's Eve last year, in 2011/2012, or to even visit my family on that day. I spent it alone, and it felt good. Today, I'm doing the same thing. I've no regrets. I did spend Christmas with my family, eating at a restaurant, and that was nice enough. But they're not getting any New Year's Eves out of me anymore.
I've even come to prefer spending it on my own, really. I feel as though I took for granted that Holidays were 'supposed' to be spent with family and/or friends, but spending at least one of those festive days by myself opens up a lot of room for self-reflection, I find.

Verinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Dec 2012, 8:20 am

We stay home on new years eve. Both my sons are aspies and like you BeauZa are much happier staying home playing computer games. I am not an aspie but can't think of anything more horrible than going to a new years eve party and I know that lots of other people, aspie or not, don't like them either and would prefer to stay home and go to bed before midnight.

But I would like to wish everyone here a happy new year.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 8:28 am

Since our daughter was born, every Hogmanay has been the same. We watch TV, usually switching between BBC1 and the Jools Holland Hootenanny on BBC2. Just before the bells, my husband pours the two of us a drink and a cuts a slice of bun. Then at the bells, we kiss, say cheers, have the drink and eat the bun. We'll then continue to watch TV and go to bed by 12.30. My parents are a little more traditional and my Dad will open the front door, just as the bells start, to let the old year out and the new year in. They might have steak pie and potatoes after that.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 9:21 am

I long to go out dressed up and dance and drink champagne and all that. But I'm too broke, can't get a babysitter, etc.. :cry:

Also, for some idiotic reason, a lot of people in the South think it's cool to fire guns into the air at midnight. Effing twits. :evil:

Last edited by Mindsigh on 31 Dec 2012, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 9:23 am

I might (or might not) go out to the pub in an hour or two, and then come back and spend the evening at home with family.

Foxxtale
Toucan
Toucan

31 Dec 2012, 9:27 am

ima work all day, then get to sleep by 8pm so I can get up at 4am tomorrow and do it all over again. I'm a party animal like that...

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 10:08 am

All I do is stay up to midnight wish my parents a Happy New Year, and go to straight to bed after that. Nothing special really, and pretty plain to what I hear somw people do.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 10:14 am

We have a "Noche Buena" at my place - about a dozen people, eating buffet-style, playing video games, and drinking champers. At midnight we makes noise and embrace our loved ones. Then those who have been drinking get to play "Where the *&^%$# are my car keys?" while the rest of us unroll the sleeping bags and break out the spare pillows.

Have a safe and happy New Year!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Biohazard626
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Dec 2012, 12:03 pm

No. It's noisy and it is easier to just hide in my room and treat it as a normal day.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Dec 2012, 1:08 pm

Well I would like to wish everyone here a Happy New Year and all the best for a better 2013. I am having a quiet New Years Eve on the Internet and tomorrow morning, weather permitting, will have a picnic on the beach with my sister, brother-in-law and my dog. Take care everyone...

keira
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 3:22 pm

I don't make it a big deal anymore, but it is not like an ordinary day either. I used to celebrate it with friends or family. This year I'm just spoiling myself. And enjoying it. :twisted:

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 3:35 pm

Not me. The moment it is January 1st, I go to sleep if I haven't already.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 5:22 pm

Normally, not much of anything, except staying up until midnight.