Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

CindySara
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2013, 8:14 am

We've read a lot about weighted blankets helping Aspies sleep. Has anyone had any experience with one? Do they indeed help? As two twin insomniacs, we'd love to hear success stories!

Ramba_Ral
Raven
Raven

18 Jan 2013, 8:46 am

I haven't ever heard of weighted blankets..........*looks for some*

spinningpixie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jan 2013, 9:32 am

i made my own weighted blanket. it has helped with my insomnia some. i rarely have a night where i'm awake all night now. i still wake up a fair amount during the night but i'm able to get back to sleep. it really helps calm me down. it doesn't feel like my body is going to fly apart (if that makes any sense). so it hasn't cured my insomnia but it has made it easier to get to sleep and get back to sleep when i wake up. it's also very helpful when i get sensory overload.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 9:46 am

Though I don't use weighted blankets, I do find that weight does aid in sleep (falling asleep faster and staying asleep longer).
spinningpixie, that part about "flying apart" does actually make sense.

SqeekyJojo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jan 2013, 10:40 am

Argggghhh! Noooooo!

I hate the weight of bed linen trapping me. I sleep with a corner of the cover under my arm for extra warmth, but my legs are out unless it is bitterly cold. I prefer to wear light clothing and have a smooth sheet and a blanket or to sleep on top of the bed.

It drives me mad when my partner would insist on covering me up at night or when he would bundle himself up in the quilt until he was sweating because it smelled bad and I could feel the damp in the air. Mind you, I never liked having anyone in my bed in the first place, so he would probably have irritated me just by breathing....

alec_eiffel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2013, 11:37 am

I know this does not sound fun, but I take a quick cold shower before bed and sleep much better. There's something about lowering your core body temperature before getting into bed. It doesn't take long for your temperature to go back to normal under the covers. You go to sleep quickly and stay asleep longer. It works.

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2013, 12:05 pm

Ok this is probably what you hear all the time but the only thing that helps me get a good nights sleep is maintaining the right sleeping pattern. The minimum required dose of melatonin (3mcg) can help establish sleep patterns. Finally to maintain sleep I use a body pillow to hug and sleep in a completely dark room. White noise from a fan and airflow are also necessary for me to fall asleep. While body pillow calms me I also try to fall asleep reading or watching something light so I am not overly excited at bed time.

Last edited by lostmyself on 18 Jan 2013, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 12:06 pm

I must try weighted blankets for insomnia, early morning awakenings.

Thanks.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 1:02 pm

If you search "weighted blanket" or "weighted blankets" on this site a lot comes up with really good information about making one and some sites where to buy. I can't find it now, but a previous weighted blanket post mentioned the site www.weightedblanket.net which seems really good.

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jan 2013, 1:56 pm

alec_eiffel wrote:
I know this does not sound fun, but I take a quick cold shower before bed and sleep much better. There's something about lowering your core body temperature before getting into bed. It doesn't take long for your temperature to go back to normal under the covers. You go to sleep quickly and stay asleep longer. It works.

This is my favorite trick. The only problem is that it is so unappealing that I only use it as a last resort, when I am up at 4 AM or so, so I don't end up getting a good night's sleep anyhow.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 1:58 pm

I don't have a weighted blanket, but I have a heavy wool blanket, and it helps me fall asleep.

Threore
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jan 2013, 3:11 pm

When I was younger my parents changed my blanket to a light one in summer because the thicker one would be too hot. I've always hated the lighter one though and often swapped them back and just left air holes for heat dissipation. I don't know about even heavier blankets but I definitely dislike anything much lighter than what I have now.

jamgrrl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2013, 3:18 pm

I wear a hat to block out the light. It's better than an eye mask in the winter because it also keeps my head warm and signals my body that it's time to sleep.

I'm considering a weighted blanket for times when I feel stressed. I'm not sure it would help me sleep. It might do the opposite - I like that my feather duvet creates a warm pocket for me without actually weighing me down.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 4:13 pm

Weighted blankets i've always though of as with connection to sensory issues.
While i've never used one and yes i do have insomnia at times.... at some point i'd like to give one a try.
When it's cold out.
When its warm out i get warm. I am a cover kicker i'll kick them off. My gf will cover me in the middle of the night and i toss covers off in my
sleep. She'll cover me a second time in the morning (i appear to look cold then) an i don't toss the covers then.

At one point i slept in a Kevlar vest (bulletproof) to see if the small amount of weight would help. I fell asleep fine yet i'm not sure if it
was due to the vest or a mind or matter bit...

alec_eiffel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2013, 4:22 pm

The cold-shower method works well with the weighted-blanket method because you lower your core temperature and don't wake up hot. Add a white-noise machine to the mix and . . . sleep.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 5:39 pm

Im probably one of the few aspies who probably couldnt stand weighted blankets. I dont like heavy blankets period. When its cold, Ill layer with those fuzzy throws because there super warm and light weight.

And the cold-shower technique does help me to go to sleep on hot nights. It got so hot this past yr, that a cold shower was actually refreshing.