Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 3:04 pm

I haven't posted here or even logged on in a long time, and I've changed in countless ways since the last time I've been here and am a much more mature individual, just thought I'd start up with that in my first post since my long hiatus.

Anyways, I've just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and it's really kind of utterly terrifying... I haven't told my family yet, and only a few friends know that my doctors thought I might have it, and I just got the test results back and I do have it... So yeah... I'm just kind of looking to see if anybody has any advice, or has been through this, and maybe even how I can tell my family and the rest of my friends... I kind of went into panic mode when they told me so I didn't really fully pay much attention to anything the doctor said after they said I had it so I don't even know if I'm going to die soon or how fatal pancreatic cancer is... But yeah... s**t sucks...

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 3:25 pm

That's really bad news. I'm sorry to hear it.

I have no advice on how to deal with it. Just do what the doctors say and hope for the best I guess.

As for telling family and friends, my choice would be to do it in writing. I wouldn't want to have to repeat the same thing to people multiple times and I'd probably get upset/stressed by doing it (perhaps to the point where I lose my ability to speak) so I would do in writing. For your family, I'd suggest a real letter that you can hand them explaining how difficult it is for you to tell them and that is why you are writing (when I have had to tell bad news to my husband, I have often left the letter for him to find and then gone out for a couple of hours so he has time to read and absorb before I come home and discuss). For your friends, perhaps an appropriately worded email would do the trick.

I don't know. I guess it depends on your relationship with people.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jan 2013, 4:08 pm

Wow, I'm really, really sorry to hear that. The world isn't a very fair place at all and you're only 19?! Did they mention what stage it was at or if surgery to remove the cancerous growth is possible? That might be personal information though so I understand not wanting to answer. Make sure you get your survival odds and potential treatment information from your doctor though; don't just Google it as I've found the statistical information regarding cancer on the internet to be very, very unforgiving and incapable of detailing the cases where patients were cured and survived rather than focusing on simply the mortality. I liked YellowBanana's idea...tell your family in whatever way is most comfortable for you!

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 5:38 pm

I do not know you but I am sorry to hear that you are ill with cancer, it seems a bit of a raw deal that you get it at the age of 19. I hope you pull through and get cured.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 8:21 am

i have a lot of info i want to share with you. Please send me an email.

I know of this subject.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 11:10 pm

Sweet Pea hugsImage

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 9:52 am

I'm so sorry to hear that. I wonder if there are any online support groups available for people fighting this type of cancer, so you could get some support from people who understand and also some information at the same time.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 12:45 pm

Xenu wrote:
I haven't posted here or even logged on in a long time, and I've changed in countless ways since the last time I've been here and am a much more mature individual, just thought I'd start up with that in my first post since my long hiatus.

Anyways, I've just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and it's really kind of utterly terrifying... I haven't told my family yet, and only a few friends know that my doctors thought I might have it, and I just got the test results back and I do have it... So yeah... I'm just kind of looking to see if anybody has any advice, or has been through this, and maybe even how I can tell my family and the rest of my friends... I kind of went into panic mode when they told me so I didn't really fully pay much attention to anything the doctor said after they said I had it so I don't even know if I'm going to die soon or how fatal pancreatic cancer is... But yeah... sh** sucks...

I'm sorry =( your such a young age. You definitely need to tell your family.
Also it's always good to get a second opinion just in case. Cancer is so serious and second opinions are always good.
They might know of different various treatments or ways so you will be a survivor!
Your family would definitely want to know, and you will need the support of friend and family, it is super important to having a good
outcome along with treatment. Hang in there and please tell family, don't deal with this alone