Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

rascalboy
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2013, 12:50 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new here, and figured I'd start in this section. I found a post that gave some questions for me to fill out so... here we go:

Hobbies and Interests: I have a horse, and several other aquatic animals. I'm very fond of animals. I also like reading and the like.

Why are you here? Well... my friend would always joke that I have Asperger's, and I laughed it off because I've never had anyone confirm it, but recently I've been checking into it online and I was shocked to see that I really do fit into most of the categories. It really was unexpected, and I'd love to hear more about the disorder if anyone has some more information about it.

Favorite subjects: I liked English in high school. I like writing and think I could be very good at it, if I can ever get the correct words to materialize. :D I find Biology (and Zoology) interesting and had fun with some medical classes as well. CPR certification was awful... Gym class was horrid (I don't run well and I hate shorts). History has always been something I've loved learning about. However, I seem to have a terrible memory so I can't consider myself a history-buff.

Year/Grade: Sophomore in college

Favorite music: Country

Books: Fantasy (Tamora Pierce, Alison Croggon, Harry Potter, Eion Colfer, Allison Goodman, etc). I love Jane Eyre, and Faulkner's "The Reivers". And for some reason I love etiquette books.

Do you like sports? I did gymnastics for awhile and I love PBR bull riding.

Family: Yes, I do have family.

Clothing: I struggle a bit here. Jeans and a plain, fitted T-shirt.

How did you find this website? Wikipedia :D

Job: I work in a paper factory. Not extremely exciting, but it could be worse. I worked as a waitress in a retirement home previously, and while I didn't mind the elderly folks, I couldn't handle my fellow co-workers. I also hated wearing a uniform, and it was stressful not having a constant schedule.

Plans for the future? I'm getting my Associate's this year and then transferring to a 4-year college to finish up. I would kill for a job at a zoo, or animal rehab place, or something that's actually interesting, but will probably find myself in some office in a cubicle. :S

Any comments? I'm really new to all of this. I really, REALLY do not like to talk about myself. It always comes across like people want attention or are fishing for compliments. However, I would like any advice people are willing to give out. My small-talk skills are nil. I can not recognize anyone I do not see on a daily basis. I have a melt down when I get conflicting demands at work. I become bitter when I'm asked to stay late at work at the last second. If I do not like a person, I hate them. There really are no grey areas in that regard, and I think I ought to work on that. I can recognize, interpret, and guess what people are thinking/going to do next when they do not have anything to do with me. (ie: when advising a friend). I can not do the same when the person is involved with me (ie: a coworker talking to me, acquaintances I think may be friends with me, teachers, etc).

Thanks everyone!

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Jan 2013, 1:09 pm

Welcome to WP! :)

I share some of your interests. I enjoy writing, cryptic crosswords, anagrams, Scrabble, etc. Also many aspects of history, geography, maps, animals, good movies, etc. My interests vary from time to time.
I also hated gym at school because I was outsider at school and teased a lot, but over all that now, the diagnosis helped me greatly and my life improved from that point. I have loved running for a good many years now, and do marathons.
Not sure why you hate shorts, I like to wear them but then South Africa is a warm country and it's summer here now.

I also have face recognition problems from time to time, but a good memory for certain names, facts and figures.

Take some time to check out the various interesting forums here; there's something for everyone!

Sylant
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2013, 4:08 pm

Hello, welcome to Wrong Planet. Don't feel bad talking about yourself, I know it's hard sometimes but it can be really helpful to others. We've all spent many years accumulating knowledge and it's good to share it.

My facial recognition seems to last for about a week, anything beyond that is lost. I wish I could give some advice but i'm yet to find something that will make it a smoother process. I tried remembering people by facial features (big nose, beard, glasses etc) but it ended up being pretty overwhelming and not helpful at all. Also i'm sure it looked odd as I scanned a persons face for characteristics I could recognize. I've found I can remember peoples voices better than I can their face, so I probably depend on that a lot but i've had some awkward moments doing so.

Small talk I can maybe help with. As my name hints at, I was considered "non-verbal" for many years, speaking very little and sometimes for days on end, not at all. I studied a few small talk phrases and still use them to this day. Things like "Hi, how are you?" "What are your plans for the weekend" and a few others have been used so much that they're almost instinctive now. It doesn't make it easy, but it's a heck of a lot easier than the brick wall I used to face when talking with people. It's a good idea to have responses planned as well. It will feel weird at first, a bit like reading a script, but after a few years I think i've got pretty good at it and perhaps it could be useful for you, too.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 4:17 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

rascalboy
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2013, 5:43 pm

Thanks for the welcome everyone! :)

Question14
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2013, 5:50 pm

Welcome

Got here through wikipedia? That site has a link for everything.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 8:38 pm

Welcome :)

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 9:57 pm

I'm not his father. Willing to take a DNA test to prove it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 5:40 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 1:29 am

Welkome to WP

MickImage