Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Skylie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jan 2013, 6:36 am

I graduated HS last May. I wasn't involved in EA or Volunteering, I never even got a Driver's Permit, and I literally have no friends. So, I have absolutely nothing to add on an application because I have no previous work experience or references. The only time I've ever worked was through a temp agency for a chicken factory (only for a day), and a plastics factory (only for four days). I haven't been able to find anything else because they only want to send me to the chicken factory and I can't stand the cold, and no one else wants to hire me (I have put in countless applications, even though I already knew I wouldn't get them due to the lack of experience). I'm not diagnosed because I can't afford to pursue it (no income), I can't apply for benefits because I'm not diagnosed, and even if I did manage to get a diagnosis, I wouldn't be able to afford to pursue the disability (time or money wise). I just feel stuck. It wouldn't be so bad if I could at least get an interview occasionally, but I haven't even been able to get that. I don't know what to do. What did you do to get your job?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 6:55 am

Quote:
How did you find work?

i just woke up and it was in front of my eyes.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 6:55 am

For four of my last five jobs, people called me up and asked if I was interested in the job. No resume or application was required for any of those four jobs.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 6:58 am

I only had 2 jobs ever. One was a paper route. For that I just called and gave them my name and phone number. When a route was available months later they called and asked if I wanted it. The other job was a cleaning job. A friend worked there and I guess they were hard up for a new worker because my friend told them about me and they hired me without an application or interview.

JRC
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2013, 10:01 am

Skylie wrote:
I graduated HS last May. I wasn't involved in EA or Volunteering, I never even got a Driver's Permit, and I literally have no friends. So, I have absolutely nothing to add on an application because I have no previous work experience or references. The only time I've ever worked was through a temp agency for a chicken factory (only for a day), and a plastics factory (only for four days). I haven't been able to find anything else because they only want to send me to the chicken factory and I can't stand the cold, and no one else wants to hire me (I have put in countless applications, even though I already knew I wouldn't get them due to the lack of experience). I'm not diagnosed because I can't afford to pursue it (no income), I can't apply for benefits because I'm not diagnosed, and even if I did manage to get a diagnosis, I wouldn't be able to afford to pursue the disability (time or money wise). I just feel stuck. It wouldn't be so bad if I could at least get an interview occasionally, but I haven't even been able to get that. I don't know what to do. What did you do to get your job?

I was in that same situation. I joined the military. It was good for me because it was the easiest job I've ever applied for. It's not for everyone though.

When I got out, I realized I was in the same situation again. No job, no money, no real friends. I just went online and applied for as many jobs as possible. I ended up getting an interview to be a meter reader for the electric company. I did that for a while. It sucked.

After that, my mom told a friend of his about me, and I got a job in a warehouse. I stayed there for two years, then work got so bad I just quit one day.

Once I did that, I realized I was in that same situation again. I've spent the last few months applying to every job that I even remotely qualify for. That's frustrating because more often than not I never hear back from any of those companies. 99% of my applications get no response. Every now and then, I will get a generic response saying the company is interviewing someone else.

One of the jobs I applied for earlier this month was through a temp agency. One of their recruiters called me and said that job was unavailable, but he wanted to meet me and see my resume. He was a typical salesman, rushing through everything, and feeding me lines that he obviously gives everyone. That being said, I realized he gets paid based on the number of people he puts in jobs. I gave it some time and now there is a company that is interested in me. It's a temp job, but it gives me something to put on my resume and it pays the bills.

My best advice would be to go to a temp agency. Maybe try a different one than you tried already. Chances are, you won't enjoy the people there very much, but at least they'll be able to find you a job that can get you some experience. From there, just keep applying to other jobs until you find one you like.

One other thing that I never knew because no one ever told me. You can put anything on your resume. If you helped a relative fix his/her computer, you can say you have troubleshooting experience. If you've ever helped a friend move, you've got experience there. Heck, even if you're interested in something you can use that. If you play an instrument, put it on your resume. You just have to be careful how you go about doing it. If you want to apply to be an accountant, don't say that you are a great sax player and once fixed your aunt's computer issue. But if you were applying for a job in a music store, definitely add that. Don't be afraid to include things on your resume, but try to make sure it fits the job you're applying to.

HauntedKnight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2013, 10:26 am

After university, I was unemployed for nine months, I kept applying for roles but was stuck in the loop of jobs needing experience but couldn't get experience. Then I was lucky that I was invited for an interview for a part time IT support role I saw advertised in the job centre. After that I was never out of work, and it got a lot easier. Have you thought about volunteering to get some experience? Qualifications help in some areas.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 10:52 am

I applied at no less than five temp agencies, and two of them led me here.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 1:15 pm

Well you have two options as I see it.

The first is to work on developing credentials so that you do have something that sets you apart when you apply for a job. Because let's face it, a high school graduate with no work experience is easily replaceable and obtainable for any employer. You could look at going to college, working on a trade skill, working on getting certified in ________ skill, etc. Just anything you can add to your resume that will set you apart, what exactly you do will depend on what sort of work you want to end up doing. If you're good with computers, AutoCAD drafting is a good route, I did it for a while. The program is pretty self-intuitive and easy to learn (in about 3-6 months you can master 90% of what most employers will want you to do with it, and the website has a free trial copy). And there are certification tests to become licensed in it and add it to your resume.

The second option is to look for a job that is in high demand and doesn't require any additional education or training. The military and construction are the two major ones that come to mind, both have a high demand and require no previous education or experience. You could also look for basic jobs such as waiter, retail, or fast food, but those jobs are typically not suitable for long-term employment and are more temporary options in my opinion. Waiter is, but only if you are good and able to eventually move to a more upscale restaurant (have to start off small!).

Also if you are applying primarily online, STOP! It has been my experience that when you submit an application online, it will essentially never be read As soon as I stopped applying online and started applying in person, I started getting interviews/job offers. At the company I have a job with now, I actually applied with them 3x in the past on their web site, but never got so much as a response. However, once I gave them my resume at a career fair, they practically wanted to hire me on the spot.

bornrebel9
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jan 2013, 4:56 pm

I'd definitely recommend at least going to a community college and getting an associate's degree or apply for financial aid and go to college and get a bachelor's degree. Most employers today are looking to hire people with bachelor's degrees or higher. I graduated from college eight months ago and even after going through temp agencies and seeing a career counselor it took me this long to get a job. I got my job from the woman I interned with in summer 2011 and my retail job from applying and saying I had open availability.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 5:14 pm

If you can handle it, the best option would be to start your own business. It's not for everybody, but if you can do it, great.

Something as simple as becoming an independent contractor providing some service to home or business customers. For example, providing a pool service, cleaning houses, tree trimming, window washing, appliance repairs, ... .

In my own case, I know that starting my own business would present problems. I don't really pay attention to money. I would end up relying solely on the customer's good will to make sure I got paid and would probably never demand payment.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 6:53 pm

With luck. I also used teachers as my references. Because I was diagnosed, I worked for voc rehab in the high school library for an hour every week. Then I was recommended to work at this thrift store because I helped her clean her rental house she was going to sell. So her husband hired me and I only worked there for an hour or two every day. They also employed people with disabilities.

I was going around applying and no one would hire me so my mom had to go around and talk to people and one of them was going to give me a chance and have me go in and wash dishes for them but someone else decided to try me and put me on work probation to see how it works out and I got this job collecting dirty linen from room attendants. The fourth time, I was applying for jobs everyday and I got a job due to work experience. The fifth time, my husband helped me and I decided to apply for a company that employs people with disabilities and it's not guaranteed you will get a job from them. I was o the waiting list and my husband told his boss I have autism and I really want to work and I am struggling to find work. They figured since he does a good job with his work, I will do good with mine so they picked me and put me to work.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

gordonsill7
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Feb 2013, 7:30 pm

See, I have tried to go into places to apply, and they just shoo me away, or give me the response on finding the career section on our website, blah blah. So I waste gas, just to be turned away, no interest in talking, just do it online.

I discovered Vocational Rehabilitation, every state has them in the United States, I am not sure if I would qualify, as it is so mild, but I am pretty sure they can help? I don't know, has anyone heard of vocational rehab?

bamboohub
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Feb 2013, 5:08 am

when i left school ; i had to look for a job for two years but i was doing some online sprogramm which help me alot

SnowBunny
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2013, 3:40 pm

I always had the easiest time in cleaning jobs. Like maybe clean at a school, college, or hospital at night. Sometimes a hospital wont hire you unless you have experience. Go ask the school where you graduated from high school. If you have a choice, choose the night shift. It is quiet and few disruptions. You can also get a work study job through college if you are a student. You do have to go to college for that, and I'm not sure if you are ready to do that. The easiest way is to go to the workforce center and look under janitorial. If you go to the workforce center in person there are people there to help you. Another way is to apply directly to a company. Don't bother with Monster or Indeed or any of those websites. Just think about where you would like to clean and find out if they are hiring. You can call them, walk in and ask, or look up their website.

For example. Let's say you want to work at a hospital cleaning at night. Call the hospitals main line and ask for Human Resources. They will transfer you. The person who picks up the phone will be a human resources employee. Ask her/him if they are hiring for custodial positions. After they tell you to go to the website and apply, let them know you don't have any experience but you are a hard worker and detail oriented. Ask them if you can leave them your name. Cleaning jobs only require you to work hard, focus, and time management. The time management is something I struggled with for a long time, but it isn't impossible. Your coworkers are usually pretty nice and a lot of them are aspie's too, they just don't know it. Don't tell your employer you are autistic. Just try to get the job, show up, clean and leave.

If you get an interview and you have the option, ask them if you can work nights.

gordonsill7
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2013, 4:11 pm

I shelved books in high school at a local library, and loved it. It was quiet... tons of books and music, and it was a great environment.

waffle_house
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2013, 6:25 pm

My uncle works at the place that I'm currently employed, so I kind of had an "in." My one co-worker got his job there because his girlfriend babysat for the head of HR. It's all about who you know, I guess.