Do you miss your childhood?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 5:59 pm

I keep really missing my childhood lately, more than I ever have since I became an adult. I think it's because of the stress I've been having lately, and different things.

I keep having flashbacks of the past what I just can't stop from creeping into my mind. I have no cousins below the age of 13 now, and so the youngest of my cousins are all growing up and changing each time I see them. One of my cousins, who is nearly 16, has changed an awful lot, and I used to see him a lot when he was a little boy, and he was a darling little boy. He was so innocent, even at age 11, and he had such a strong imagination, and he loved it when I came round, even though I was 7 years older. I also remember when he was born, and I actually held him in my arms when he was tiny. Now he towers over me, but I hardly ever see him any more. He's always out with mates, and gets up to mischief now too, and someone even said he was seen smoking, and he's desperate to get to 18 so that he can drink.

Not only that, I also miss me being little aswell. All of my cousins were close, and they came round a lot at week-ends with their parents, and there was no everlasting conversations of drinking at bars, and we often had sleepovers on Saturday nights and played in the park on Sunday mornings, and Christmasses were exciting, and birthdays were too when we had innocent birthday parties (no drinking or sex). I just miss those days, and to think I spent most of my childhood whining and crying instead of stopping to think ''hang on a minute, I should be making the most of my childhood years - I will miss this when we all grow up and get jobs and relationships, and nobody will be the same.'' But I didn't.

Do you miss your childhood too? What I miss the most is the innocence of me and my cousins.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 6:19 pm

There are parts from all through childhood I miss, I also get those flashbacks, but the time I really miss was before I reached the age of 7; my brother wasn't born yet and my dad's side of the family all lived no more than 5 minutes away. I have an aunt who is only 3 weeks older than me, growing up we were more like cousins or friends. Once my mom described the 2 of us as more like twins. When my grandparents moved to be an hour's drive away I didn't see her as often. That was also when I was 7. A few years ago I started visiting her and my grandma on my own but I don't feel as connected with them as I once was

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 6:24 pm

I had no childhood.

alleng
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Feb 2013, 7:24 pm

I miss the times at home, with my mother. I don't miss most of the rest. I was treated like trash by people. But I do wish my mother was back with me and I was at home studying with her downstairs. G

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 7:26 pm

No. The powerlessness sucked, and I can now afford to buy some of the cool stuff that I couldn't get as a child.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 7:27 pm

Miss it? I never left it.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 7:53 pm

Mine was rife with pain, misery and suffering, so no.

caissa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Feb 2013, 7:56 pm

My childhood was miserable so I don't miss it. My life is so much better today.

I do feel sad sometimes thinking I lost my chance to be a kid. You never get a second chance to do that! Unless you believe in reincarnation...

There were a few good things, I miss some of the outdoor stuff we did. Where I live now being outdoorsy isn't possible.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 8:47 pm

Not at all.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 8:58 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I just miss those days, and to think I spent most of my childhood whining and crying instead of stopping to think ''hang on a minute, I should be making the most of my childhood years - I will miss this when we all grow up and get jobs and relationships, and nobody will be the same.'' But I didn't.

So try this little thought experiment: it is 30 years in the future, and you are looking back on your life right now. Your parents have passed on, and you are living alone or in a group home, totally alienated from your cousins. You think how back in 2013, you still had your mum, and at least people still bothered to invite you to birthday parties and on holiday with them. You still got to ride your favorite bus then, and finally had a job after endlessly being on jobseekers. "Hang on a minute, I should have been making the most of those years," you will think. But you didn't. Instead you have spent it whining and crying, just as you did your childhood.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 8:59 pm

I miss the time with my father. He passed away when I was 9 and that was about when my childhood ended. I had to grow up fast after he died.....he was the one who took care of me the best. I'd like to have that time with him back b/c he loved me unconditionally and was a positive force in my life......and I have nobody that loves me like that anymore.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 1:24 am

1-6 I miss that, when AS did not yet have a firm grip on my life however at times gave me opertunities I would not have outherwise had. I feel my mentallity is very in line with being a child however my childhood years were horrible and full of depression, like i'm sure most aspies have I think I had to grow up fast to handle the addional demands of ASD living and coping.

Being an adult has in an odd way given me the freedom to be the child I never got to be in the first place so for that I don't miss most of it, seems to me that meny people on the spectrum don't have a normal childhood then adulthood but one long linear journey, so thats how I live.

nintendogurl1990
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Feb 2013, 1:35 am

I really miss my childhood. I used to go to fun places like DZ (Discovery Zone) and I went to my cousins' house to play. Plus, I wasn't depressed like I am now. I was happy. I wish I was like that again.

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 2:06 am

arielhawksquill wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I just miss those days, and to think I spent most of my childhood whining and crying instead of stopping to think ''hang on a minute, I should be making the most of my childhood years - I will miss this when we all grow up and get jobs and relationships, and nobody will be the same.'' But I didn't.

So try this little thought experiment: it is 30 years in the future, and you are looking back on your life right now. Your parents have passed on, and you are living alone or in a group home, totally alienated from your cousins. You think how back in 2013, you still had your mum, and at least people still bothered to invite you to birthday parties and on holiday with them. You still got to ride your favorite bus then, and finally had a job after endlessly being on jobseekers. "Hang on a minute, I should have been making the most of those years," you will think. But you didn't. Instead you have spent it whining and crying, just as you did your childhood.

I think this is unnecessarily harsh. Personally, my childhood was cr@p and I would never ever ever want to go back to it. But that's mine. If yours is better it's absolutely ok to look back fondly, just so long as that's not ALL you do.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 5:58 pm

Joe90 maybe I can relate with you, I have about 10-12 years on my 1/2 brothers, we used to play games and stuff all time since we were always close mentally. Now they tell me to grow up often, we don't hang out much anymore in preticular the 13 1/2 year old who is everything I wasn't at that age. I suppose they have no use at the monent for their autistic big brother at this stage of their life. I beleave the issue here and maybe yours to is simply that the kids have raging hormones that impairs their thinking and are at an age were their trying to assert their independance from me and other family eventhough I always looked at them is friends first, I would not be surprised if your cousins in a few years goes back to being close to you and more innocent again, sure hoping my brothers do that. Its kind of nice to think you have close family that is likely to outlast you. The party must come to an end sooner or later.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 8:43 pm

I miss my childhood friend,the only kid I was ever myself around.We had the best times.
I moved away and never found another friend like that.