Why is it inappropriate/wrong/rude to.............?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2013, 12:58 am

This is a thread to write things that you are unsure whether they're appropriate to say/do or not, or things that you wonder why they are inappropriate.

Write your own things below

|
|
V

Last edited by hey_there on 07 Feb 2013, 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 1:18 am

hey_there wrote:
Here's my list:

* If you think somebody's work terrible, why is it considered wrong to be honest and just flat out say "your work is terrible"?

* Why is it wrong to ask a stranger their age?

* Is it wrong to ask someone if they're a virgin? Why?

It's about being somewhat sensitive to their feelings.

Why would you? I mean, If it comes up in the conversation and you have a good reason, go ahead.

Depends. Some people do. It's really none of anyone's business.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 1:28 am

to answer the first one. If I was putting my best effort into the job and then being told that it's terrible. that would hert my feelings and make me feel like a loser.

I don't know why the age thing would be a problem unless someone was phishing me for personal information a.k.a identity theft.

the third one is a little tougher. That is a sexual question and I have found that different sexual based question have different effects on different people. I found that if a man ask a woman in heat if she is a virgin she will take that as a compliment. If she is not in heat, she will get angry and offended by it.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 2:02 am

I want to offer constructive criticism to my mom's cooking but I'm sure I'll offend her or she'll get pissed at me. I think any cook can become territorial in the kitchen.

I did something like that in a restaurant my brother took me to. I didn't know the server was also the one that cooked my burger so she was annoyed or offended by my "review" and my brother was annoyed that I seemed to nitpick. I really felt I gave a fair review and that "Aus Jus" burger dipping wasn't that special. I thought it just made an otherwise decent burger soggy despite whatever extra flavor it imparted.

As for my mom, she uses to many boxed and canned goods and should use more fresh ingredients IMO. Also, she could improve her understanding of herbs and spices to season dishes. I think this because I'm a nut that watches to many cooking shows. I do think a good spice rub could improve her steaks to. Also, please less Potatoes and Zatarain's Rice! Stop filling me and my dad up with starch carbs!

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2013, 2:17 am

LupaLuna wrote:
to answer the first one. If I was putting my best effort into the job and then being told that it's terrible. that would hert my feelings and make me feel like a loser.

I don't know why the age thing would be a problem unless someone was phishing me for personal information a.k.a identity theft.

the third one is a little tougher. That is a sexual question and I have found that different sexual based question have different effects on different people. I found that if a man ask a woman in heat if she is a virgin she will take that as a compliment. If she is not in heat, she will get angry and offended by it.

Thanks. You can list your own things too if you want.

Unseen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Feb 2013, 3:07 am

This is very weird - there is a certain social stigma about being a virgin. Most NT people interpret this as being a "loser" or a "weirdo". They use it as fuel for mockery and bullying.

About the age - it depends on the person. I don't mind telling people my age - it's just a number and it doesn't really reflect who I am. Some people, however, are sensitive about age. Perhaps they are afraid of being perceived as "too young" ort "too old"... or maybe they don't like to be reminded that their youth is gone forever. Or maybe they don't like to think about their mortality?

About "your work is terrible" - if it is important work and other people are affected by it, then the truth must be said. The efforts of others should not suffer because of one's negligence. If, however, the work does not have a significant impact and matters to the one who is doing it (e.g. a personal project), the truth could be withheld for the sake of preserving a friendship or not hurting the other person's feelings. It's up to the person to decide how to act - but they should be ready to bear the consequences of their decision :?

smoke
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Feb 2013, 3:18 am

Why is it inappropriate to correct a teacher? My teachers would get really annoyed with me when I pointed out an error, even if they corrected it later, but I've always thought it's better for someone to point it out than the whole class be taught something that wasn't correct. I think they thought I believed myself to be better than them, but I was honestly just trying to be helpful.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 4:19 am

smoke wrote:
Why is it inappropriate to correct a teacher? My teachers would get really annoyed with me when I pointed out an error, even if they corrected it later, but I've always thought it's better for someone to point it out than the whole class be taught something that wasn't correct. I think they thought I believed myself to be better than them, but I was honestly just trying to be helpful.

It's not actually. A good teacher will think as you do. But most teachers feel threatened when a student is smarter or more knowledgeable than they are. It's irritating.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 4:38 am

When I bought a few different kinds of salami at a local deli, they put wrong labels (more expensive ones) on some of them. I asked them to correct them so I wouldn't end up paying more than I should. They corrected them. The same thing happened another time. After that the deli woman started to be unfriendly towards me. I don't understand what I did wrong.

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2013, 4:44 am

metaldanielle wrote:
smoke wrote:

It's not actually. A good teacher will think as you do. But most teachers feel threatened when a student is smarter or more knowledgeable than they are. It's irritating.
"But most teachers feel threatened when a student is smarter or more knowledgeable than they are" hmm..... that's actually narcissistic

scarp
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Feb 2013, 4:45 am

I've always hated the "virgin" question because the way some people ask it, it's a double edged sword. Saying you are a virgin makes you seem like a prude, while saying you aren't can make you sound like a "slut." Usually I just say "That's a private question," and leave it at that.

Regarding comments like "your work is terrible"; I prefer them to vapid, insincere praise. I will never understand why people prefer to wallow in mediocrity rather than confront it. I prefer to know the honest opinions of those around me, but I have learned to temper my own opinions.

I don't care about age or weight questions, but then I'm not old or over/underweight.

Here are some of my own:

1. Why is it considered rude not to "stay in touch" with people when you genuinely have nothing worthwhile to tell them?

2. Why is it inappropriate to wear head gear (hats, hoods, etc.) indoors?

3. Why can't a guy grow his hair out anymore without everyone insisting that he gets a haircut?

scarp
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Feb 2013, 4:46 am

jk1 wrote:
When I bought a few different kinds of salami at a local deli, they put wrong labels (more expensive ones) on some of them. I asked them to correct them so I wouldn't end up paying more than I should. They corrected them. The same thing happened another time. After that the deli woman started to be unfriendly towards me. I don't understand what I did wrong.

You ruined their little scam.

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2013, 4:47 am

jk1 wrote:
You did nothing wrong at all...... that deli woman has issues

knifegill
Raven
Raven

07 Feb 2013, 5:09 am

Quote:

Another case of misinterpretation. The NT reponse to a glaring error made by authority is to pretend it's right, to maintain order and social integrity. They are more afraid of the system falling apart than they are of incorrect info. Which is dumb. Because we all know that right is right.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 6:32 am

LupaLuna wrote:
I found that if a man ask a woman in heat if she is a virgin she will take that as a compliment. If she is not in heat, she will get angry and offended by it.

What on earth is a woman in heat?! Women are not dogs! :roll:

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 6:35 am

jk1 wrote:

You didn't do anything wrong. Either she got in trouble with the boss for her mistake, or she was doing it deliberately to con people if it was her business and she was annoyed she got caught out, and lots of people don't like the their mistakes being pointed out.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum