Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2013, 5:49 am

I have seen threads about Warm Bodies being about autism.

For those who haven't seen it, it is about a zombie who is, like most zombies, disconnected from the world, unable to talk, or to function as a human being. But for some reason, he falls in love with a human, cares for her, and eventually learns how to be human again. I won't provide too many details because I always ruin movies for people.

It seems some people think the movie is a reference to autism.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 6:37 am

That seems like a bit of a stretch to me. Maybe the filmmakers are just trying to cash in on the (please die already) zombie craze.

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2013, 7:31 am

It was an okay film. Plot holes here and there, but it is a good movie.

The whole autism thing does seem like a bit of a stretch. To me, it seemed more like a movie about tolerance and learning how to live again.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 2:55 pm

I highly doubt that the writers even had autism in their minds when they created it. I haven't seen it, but I think they were just trying to make a new zombie movie from a unique and original perspective. That said, the movie can mean whatever you want it to mean to you personally. It's like music or poetry, everyone might take away a completely different message from the same work.

Autinger
Toucan
Toucan

11 Feb 2013, 6:52 pm

rpcarnell wrote:
I have seen threads about Warm Bodies being about autism.

For those who haven't seen it, it is about a zombie who is, like most zombies, disconnected from the world, unable to talk, or to function as a human being. But for some reason, he falls in love with a human, cares for her, and eventually learns how to be human again. I won't provide too many details because I always ruin movies for people.

It seems some people think the movie is a reference to autism.

I haven't seen this movie yet but do get the idea there's many times characters in shows or shows based upon characters entirely that appear to be autistic. (beyond of course http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fi ... m_spectrum )

Characters like Data from Star Trek TNG, the hologram doctor and 7 of 9 from Star Trek VOY, River Glau in Terminator TSCC, "Sheldon Cooper in The Big Bang Theory", Daniel Hagman from Sharpe, Brick from The Middle, ect.

And of course almost every show that has a "hero in the night" theme has either the main appearing to be on the spectrum by the whole concept of "the world doesn't understand me" or a (nerdy) sub character who's own "missconnection" with the world causes the discovery of the hero's secret and following sidekick apprenticeship.

Virginiarw
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2013, 9:10 pm

Whether or not it is about autism... it is about people who communicate differently living and becoming human again, and sends a powerful message about what it means to live and be human.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 7:49 am

the movie trailer was hilarious. it seems that they are introducing classes or social status in zombies, high vs low. those with values, or different out look on their "life" :D

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 9:44 pm

Although the autism connection might have been unintentional, seeing this thread does make me more interested in seeing this movie than I was before. I, too, have been weary of the whole zombie fad.