Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Have you ever connected with someone emotionally?
yes 66%  66%  [ 44 ]
never 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
only my primary childhood caregiver 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
only the family I grew up with 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
in the process (new relationship) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
don't know what it means 16%  16%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 67

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 8:19 pm

What does it mean to "connect emotionally" with people?

BornThisWay
Toucan
Toucan

11 Feb 2013, 8:40 pm

I wrote 'yes', only because I have have felt emotionally connected to certain people - I may have been fooling myself about the nature of the connection, but I cared deeply and was quite emotional about the relationship. I'm not sure how they felt about me though, and sometimes I was quite wrong.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

11 Feb 2013, 8:47 pm

Just once -- one of my exes from a totally foreign culture. Surprisingly, that's the only time it's happened, ever. Not even with my parents. I think it's hard to do IF you don't have a similar personality. I'm emotionally strong and weak, passive and fiery, awkward and not, socially insightful and socially clueless, shy and cocky, open-minded and habitual, physically clumsy and physically agile--all at the same time. And about as progressive on gender roles, etc. as they come. So was she. I don't think many people are as full of contradictions as I am, and I've found that my character traits are just as rare among aspies as among the general population.

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Feb 2013, 11:35 pm

Yes, I have connected with people emotionally, but only other Autistic people. Being surrounded by as*holes for so long has made it easier for me to love those who deserve it.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 9:15 am

Kuribo wrote:
Yes, I have connected with people emotionally, but only other Autistic people. Being surrounded by as*holes for so long has made it easier for me to love those who deserve it.

Wow that's sad. I remember when I used to be like this.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 12:25 pm

Twice.

starkid wrote:
What does it mean to "connect emotionally" with people?

Feeling (not just thinking, at an intellectual level) that you care for each other and understand each other.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 1:41 pm

How can people feel (as opposed to think) that they are understood? It doesn't seem like it is something that has an emotional component to it.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 2:23 pm

starkid wrote:
How can people feel (as opposed to think) that they are understood?

Different memory systems. You may know as a cold fact that flying is a safer form of transport than driving a car, but still not feel safe.

starkid wrote:
It doesn't seem like it is something that has an emotional component to it.

Call it a subconscious feeling of trust that does not have to agree with your intellectual judgement.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 12:37 am

Gromit wrote:
...a subconscious feeling of trust that does not have to agree with your intellectual judgement.

This, to me, is what an emotional connection is. It's a positive feeling of connectedness and harmony with another person: you feel good about the other person and yourself. Your brain might not be aligned with this feeling though: for example, you have can good feelings towards someone you know is bad for you.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term therapists - that I am an anxious and highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder.

My diagnoses - social anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 8:11 am

I think I've never been emotionally connected to someone.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 2:56 pm

Up to now that's 73% for emotionally connecting at least once. I would find it interesting to know how often it happens, if it does. I guess the distribution would be heavily skewed towards low numbers, when compared to NTs.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 10:20 pm

Gromit wrote:
Up to now that's 73% for emotionally connecting at least once. I would find it interesting to know how often it happens, if it does. I guess the distribution would be heavily skewed towards low numbers, when compared to NTs.

I agree. I can say that I'm emotionally connected to my brothers and my 4 children. If one considers mutual infatuation to be an emotional connection than I suppose I have but only for a short time. I am old enough to have done some serious self-reflection and I would say that for the most part, any emotional connection I have with a person has to be preceded by an intellectual connection. When I consider that to be the case, I can say I have had or do have an emotional connection to 3 people.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

01 Apr 2013, 9:42 am

Never, not even immediate family.

I think this area of my brain was actually completely destroyed by my childhood inflammation. Thank my irresponsible parents for not seeking medical attention; it literally caused me not to care about them at all.

Only when I am super depressed (low serotonin) does it even start to happen. Then, it disappears when my depression cycles away or when I kill it artificially with St. John's Wort.

When people form an emotional bond

Quote:
"Another neurotransmitter, serotonin, is reduced, a condition similar that found in people suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder and depression."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/repor ... D_20120214

Bezeone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2013, 10:47 am

I only feel emotionally connected by my immediate family and maybe 3 friends.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 4:47 pm

Once, and everyday ongoing, with my husband of over 11 years. He's on the spectrum also.

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2013, 2:38 pm

I think it typically refers to being close to someone in such a way that you care about their moods, their feelings, etc, and there's a kind of rapport beyond just conversation: a connection. I'd say that if you're affected on an emotional level by their presence in some way, something might be there.

I don't emotionally connect to people very easily, but I guess it's not infrequent. Occasionally I've felt that a component of normal human emotion is missing because I don't seem to experience a lot of the normal rushes and triggers, but more realistically someone put it best when they said it was simply very slow.