Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

raskal37
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Feb 2013, 10:15 pm

Young neurotypicals develop emotional attachments based on grades that they earn in school. Do aspies or persons on the autism spectrum develop similar emotional attachments based on grades that they earn in school?

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 10:16 pm

You mean that people who get A's get emotionally attached to people who get A's? I'm not sure I understand your question.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 10:23 pm

I like getting A's.

raskal37
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Feb 2013, 10:28 pm

No. Let me try to clarify. If I got an A or B in school when I was growing up, then I felt really good about myself and had good self-esteem. If I got a C, D, or F in school, I had low self-esteem and felt that I was "dumb". Do persons on the spectrum react to the grades they get in the same way? I ask because a friend of mine has a child on the spectrum and the child does not appear to show any emotional attachments to earning good grades at school. I didn't know if this was normal or atypical for a child on the spectrum.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 10:48 pm

I didn't show any pleasure about getting A's in school.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 11:38 pm

I prefer A's. But my self esteem associated grades are in classes I care about. Science classes and maths, and anything that interests me I want an A, as a sign that "yes, I understand the material well". Other classes I would only care about grades if there was a higher connection to them (needed for grad school) beyond that I could fail and not care, because I do not care about the material.

I did not care at all about grades before high school as anything before that did not count towards college. So overnight (well suddenly between middle school and high school) I went from a student who would not study no matter the penalty my parents imposed for poor grades to a student who made all A's, because I wanted to go to college so I could study what I wanted in as much detail as I wanted (my view of college at 13ish).

I did not get intrinsic happiness from A's at this point (or even in high school or med school) but I did feel disappointment from C's, or sometimes if the grade was close and I needed it I would feel releif when I got the grade I needed.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 12:15 am

Like nebrets getting high grades only mattered or made me feel good if i was into the topic or if I felt like I had a realistic shot at a great grade like 100%. For example my term end science mark was usually like 70-75% however I could build a water purifier to 100% i would try very hard to be top of the class and often did and that felt great for the moment! it was a nice quite respectul way of saying "and you didn't want to be by partner becouse you thought I would be a drag". As for the rest I was fine with 50+1% or whatever was good enough to make my mom and dad happy. My achidemics were very poor so I saw no point beating myself up over it, I was used to it.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 12:27 am

I don't see this as an aspie NT difference thing, id like to think everyone wants to excel at their strenghts to some degree or another and get some type of reward for their work, perhaps some aspies get looked over alot and get used to not being noticed and therefore stop caring about grades.

undercaffeinated
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Feb 2013, 1:31 am

I suppose it's possible NTs might be more interested in the recognition they get from achieving good grades. Aspies might also appear less excited than they really are as well.

Personally I liked the recognition somewhat, but it wasn't that important... I was mainly interested in getting grades that were good enough to achieve my own goals. I did like seeing how shocked people were when I got high test scores without studying like the other kids did, though... it was one of the few things in school that actually boosted my self esteem. I actually liked getting, say, 93% on the exam but still only a C-minus in the course.

I didn't have good grades aside from test scores until post-secondary, when I actually cared about my classes (and started studying and finishing assignments).

ColdPop7342
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2013, 2:19 am

I love getting As...

I only enjoy getting them in classes I enjoy, I even got a 103 on my report card once!! ! I loved how I was lays finished in a third of the time on tests, corrected the teacher a lot, showed them different ways of doing math never seen, and still never studying. IQ 142. But now I'm ho schooled, because my school can't fit my needs.

ColdPop7342
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2013, 2:20 am

I love getting As...

I only enjoy getting them in classes I enjoy, I even got a 103 on my report card once!! ! I loved how I was lays finished in a third of the time on tests, corrected the teacher a lot, showed them different ways of doing math never seen, and still never studying. IQ 142. But now I'm ho schooled, because my school can't fit my needs.

Theuniverseman
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Feb 2013, 3:36 am

I was devastated when I was given a C for an English paper I did back in 2011, but then things when south for me socially the following semester and now I don't want anything to do with school even though the lowest grade I received was a B for that same English course. Now I could care less about grades because the only thing I learned in college was how pointless it was for me, all I was doing was demonstrating how much I already knew and how well I could conduct research and assimilate and regurgitate information, I nearly have a BS in Space Studies which is of absolutely no use to me or anyone else, I just think that space is cool and happened to stumble across a school which offered a degree in Space Studies.

Grades are meaningless unless you can find a useful application for the knowledge gained, I learn by doing, not by sitting in a classroom being lectured or doing research. I am not saying that there is no need for education, obviously there is much to be gained from higher education for the vast majority of people who embark on such endeavors. I am only saying that I have no use for formal education because I derive no direct benefit from it personally, I dropped out of High School and later earned an adult High School diploma, I always blamed myself for this until recently, now I understand why I dropped out because I encountered the exact same social difficulties in college, even though I earned straight A's, my dropping out had noting to do with my academic capabilities, I suppose that's useful information at least.

Systemizing quotient - 52
Aspie-quiz ? AS: 151 NT: 61

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 6:38 am

I see. I think this is more related to personality than NT/AS.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 8:28 am

I don't get emotionally attached to my grades.
I don't care about grades. Once I scored the worst grade in my class and I felt nothing. Every time I take an F I feel nothing. What am I supposed to feel anyway? Sadness? How stupid.
I very rarely take As. But when I take an A, I think "I knew I was good at it, I deserved that grade", not "WOW, I took an A, I didn't expect it!". I can be content, that's all, I don't get attached in an emotional way to it. This is why I don't get why the straight-A students in my class feel very sad and almost cry when they get a B or a C. It's pointless to me.
I usually take Ds or Cs, sometimes even some Bs, but really very few As.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2013, 10:18 am

I tend to care a lot about my grades. I've done well in secondary school but not so well here at university as I find quite a big leap in difficulty and competition, which pisses me off sometimes. I tend to do what is necessary to understand each course as well as I can. At the same time I want to spend time outside of study (eg social life) and don't believe in spending too much time working the grades up, but I can't always as I'm close to a certain grade average I'm aiming for.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 12:36 pm

Since schools use a bell curve to grade and schools now a days have a no fail policy the grades themselves are almost meaningless, that was my opinion for my later years watching dumb and lazy kids miss 1/2 the year then ace an easy year end make up test and then get a better mark then me who handed in all assignments, showed up every day and in general had a better understanding of the topic overall. Then School wonderd why I did not care.