Telling OKC dates about ASD PRIOR to meeting

Page 1 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

26 Feb 2013, 3:02 am

I just did this to one, as an experiment. Not sure how it will turn out. But we spoke on the phone twice, for a decent period of time. I'm sure I'm going to get jumped on on this board by some self-described "experts" in online dating, who are probably virgins, but what if my intention is to a priori screen out prejudice? Is this always a bad thing to do? Or maybe I'm just increasingly lacking in self-control. This has become evident in other areas of life, too.

ASD is my current obsession, so I figure it's going to come up sooner or later anyway. I'm following the pattern of two girls I've talked to on OKC who disclose bipolar upfront.

Dating suicide? Maybe. We'll see. I'm too obsessed with ASD at the moment, having gotten a diagnosis recently, so the alternative is to just not date unless it becomes not an obsession (seeing that I currently have no self-control) -- assuming that happens at some point in the future.

I'm pretty ambivalent about dating at the moment, for a variety of reasons. It switches back and forth between "yes, definitely!" and "no, not really"

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 3:29 am

bad idea :roll:

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 3:40 am

wtfid2 wrote:
bad idea :roll:

although most good relationships begin when one or both parties do everything "wrong." But you can't count on it.

I'm afraid I'm just not ready to date at the moment. Now, give it a day, and I'll feel completely different. Then give it a week, and I'll have reversed poles again.

Problem is that if I can't share at least a little bit (in an appropriate fashion) of what I think about all the time (my obsession), I'd rather not have human contact. Then, give it a few days, and I'll decide I miss human contact. I am crazy.

Last edited by Tyri0n on 26 Feb 2013, 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 3:43 am

Being upfront with things saves you alot of bad dates - on the other hand it can make you feel unloved and lonely.

I have always upfront with my Aspergers. The recent BS in the media by cereal-box-licenced psychiatrists over where i live really have not helped, but i think it is better to find someone who can accept you for who you are, rather than to hope for the best and think that "you will grow on her" and she will learn to accept you regardless.

I have actually seen people starting to shake in fear when i mention Aspergers, as if i were some serial killer or something. But those people are idiots and that is their problem, they read the tabloids as if they were science books and believe everything that is written in that toilet paper by the academic rejects that write the articles there.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 3:47 am

Ichinin wrote:
Being upfront with things saves you alot of bad dates - on the other hand it can make you feel unloved and lonely.

I have always upfront with my Aspergers. The recent BS in the media by cereal-box-licenced psychiatrists over where i live really have not helped, but i think it is better to find someone who can accept you for who you are, rather than to hope for the best and think that "you will grow on her" and she will learn to accept you regardless.

I have actually seen people starting to shake in fear when i mention Aspergers, as if i were some serial killer or something. But those people are idiots and that is their problem, they read the tabloids as if they were science books and believe everything that is written in that toilet paper by the academic rejects that write the articles there.

I haven't. I think I may have a special way of easing into it jokingly and self-effacingly that doesn't make people uncomfortable, at least as far as I can tell. The last two times I disclosed (not to potential dates), the person started talking about an autistic or aspie sibling.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 3:54 am

Tyri0n wrote:
I haven't. I think I may have a special way of easing into it jokingly and self-effacingly that doesn't make people uncomfortable, at least as far as I can tell. The last two times I disclosed (not to potential dates), the person started talking about an autistic or aspie sibling.

Well, why not try it at least once, like:
Quote:
-"Oh, btw, i have Aspergers. Is that a problem for you?"

Depending on that persons earlier experiences with Auties/Aspies things may go good or bad.

(The best thing you could do would be to find an Aspie GF. Pointing out the obvious, but it is something i'd shoot for if i was still delusional about finding true love.)

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 4:09 am

Tyri0n wrote:
I just did this to one, as an experiment. Not sure how it will turn out. But we spoke on the phone twice, for a decent period of time. I'm sure I'm going to get jumped on on this board by some self-described "experts" in online dating, who are probably virgins, but what if my intention is to a priori screen out prejudice? Is this always a bad thing to do? Or maybe I'm just increasingly lacking in self-control. This has become evident in other areas of life, too.

ASD is my current obsession, so I figure it's going to come up sooner or later anyway. I'm following the pattern of two girls I've talked to on OKC who disclose bipolar upfront.

Dating suicide? Maybe. We'll see. I'm too obsessed with ASD at the moment, having gotten a diagnosis recently, so the alternative is to just not date unless it becomes not an obsession (seeing that I currently have no self-control) -- assuming that happens at some point in the future.

I'm pretty ambivalent about dating at the moment, for a variety of reasons. It switches back and forth between "yes, definitely!" and "no, not really"

Don't message people first and then tell them about ASD. If you want to let them know and screen people, then mention it on your profile. You will probably find that less people will answer your messages but at least it will save you the trouble of having conversations with them on OKCupid, only for them to stop replying once you tell them. When I started on OKCupid, I initially didn't want to mention Asperger's because I was worried about people pre-judging me due to other nonsense written about AS people in relationships on forums like ASPartners on Delphi. Nonetheless, my first actual date ironically happened only after I decided to put it in my profile.

I also adopt a "don't ask, don't tell" policy on OKCupid. This means that if you mention that you've got AS in your profile and the girl you're exchanging messages with doesn't ask about it, don't mention it again. They can't complain later that they didn't know about it if they supposedly read your dating profile and you mentioned it there.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 4:14 am

Might as well cut's out some of the BS in the dating process I would imagine. I was thinking of just adding that and the co-morbids to my profile....like just straight up mention I have AS, Depression, Anxiety and PTSD on my profile then if someone has a problem with that they probably wont even talk to me. Cuts out the issue of having to worry about that later down the road.

Right now it's much more vauge than that.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 4:56 am

Try to avoid telling people because some people have labels in which they stereotype certain people instead of judging them as individuals. Let them get to know you as an individual person before telling them, that way they can make a rationally correct judgement instead of one based from the media.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 5:05 am

Wolfheart wrote:
Try to avoid telling people because some people have labels in which they stereotype certain people instead of judging them as individuals. Let them get to know you as an individual person before telling them, that way they can make a rationally correct judgement instead of one based from the media.

Part of my criteria is I wouldn't want to date someone who makes their judgment of someone based on what the mainstream media says about people of that group...in this case people with aspergers. So I think it all depends on what someone is looking for whether it is a good idea or not.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 5:14 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Part of my criteria is I wouldn't want to date someone who makes their judgment of someone based on what the mainstream media says about people of that group...in this case people with aspergers. So I think it all depends on what someone is looking for whether it is a good idea or not.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. If a girl makes a generic comment about something that is clearly wrong, then i do not want anything to do with her.

My last date (2010) made a generic comment about men living at home with their parents, just a year or so before that i lived at home with my parents and i was very insulted with what she said and the attitude that came with the comment. I told her that i did not want to spend another second with her - i couldnt even keep it together so i'd get laid.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 5:15 am

Be pragmatic, guys.

It all depends on how much you can afford to filter out.

Are you getting an endless supply of dates? If yes then you can mention AS to filter people.

But if you are the type of guy who gets a date once in a blue moon, then please...don't be stupid.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 5:20 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Be pragmatic, guys.

Are you getting an endless supply of dates? If yes then you can mention AS to filter people.

But if you are the type of guy who gets a date once in a blue moon, then please...don't be stupid.

I am sure some males find quality to be much more important than quantity just as some females do, so why is it stupid to be honest about yourself simply because you don't have an endless supply of 'dates'? Though if one considers every message a date they may be a little bit ahead of them self.

If ones goal is quantity, yes that would be detrimental....and maybe stupid in that sense but that's about it.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 5:23 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Be pragmatic, guys.

As i said earlier:
Quote:

It also depends on if a person wants anyone (quantity) or the one (quality).

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 5:30 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Wolfheart wrote:

I'm not saying they would make that judgement on purpose but people do pick up on things subconsciously and assign it to a certain label. If you didn't want to date someone like that, that is understandable, I judge people as individuals and would like someone with that same mentality.

periphery
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2013, 5:35 am

someone on okcupid told me he had ASD before we met. It was awkward because I didn't really know how to respond. I was like 'oh cool' I just watched a documentary about a woman with that over the weekend (Temple Grandin) but then I could tell he was embarrassed that I thought he was like that and made pains to point out that 'he wasn't like that' but more like 'Clay Marzo' whom he obviously thought was a cool ASD person to mirror himself again :roll: .

I'm not sure I have an opinion as to whether you should announce your ASD to potential dates. I guess the pro is that you don't feel like you're hiding anything. Also if an appropriate time comes to raise it in the conversation it might be a valid time to introduce the topic.

On the other hand...:
IMO it's a weird thing to bring up to someone you just met, and same goes for the bipolar girls - I mean what exactly are you expecting to happen after you've told them?
(and the most concerning to me)
Wouldn't you be more worried if/when you actually met that they'd been scrutinizing your behaviour extra hard looking for signs or symptoms? I know I would. I'd rather just meet someone on an even slate (after all it's unlikely you know any of their secrets) ...if I felt the need after meeting, like if there was a spark there, or I wanted to explain some behaviour or whatever, I might bring it up then, but seriously why open yourself up to potential humiliation/rejection over AS when it may not be leading to anything anyway. At least if you don't hit it off and it fizzles out naturally, you'll never know if it's because you have ASD or not....no point getting depressed over something you can't change.

NB: I can relate to your obsession though, many years ago when I first sought 'pyschiatric counsel' (lol) I was told I had depression. And honestly, (as I hadn't really considered my symptoms or even known that much about depression) I was so happy to finally have an ''answer'' for all my problems, I told all my friends because I felt it necessary to explain a lot of my behaviours. I regret it now though, I really feel like I exposed myself too much to them and when for example I am having a bad day and they ask me, I get all paranoid about them thinking about me being ''always depressed' and ''mental'' or whatever. Just me though. You might not feel like that.