Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

gratin
Raven
Raven

16 Mar 2013, 4:22 am

Female Traits

Found it interesting. Might be of help to someone.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 5:02 am

Very interesting.

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2013, 9:24 am

This is so me.

I am such a classic female Aspie :P.
I love reading about typical female Aspie traits, doing so makes me feel so normal. Something I've always tried to be.

angelbee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Mar 2013, 9:30 am

I feel very normal when reading about female traits. This is me. :D

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 10:29 am

I think this describes me better than descriptions of male aspies, a lot better. Merp. :?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Jinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2013, 2:44 pm

Ganondox wrote:
I think this describes me better than descriptions of male aspies, a lot better. Merp. :?

Me too. You have to remember both that mental gender is not absolute, and also that there is a particularly high incidence of gender variance in people with ASDs, so "female AS traits" and "male AS traits" are only going to be general guidelines. While more females will fall into this description and more males into the classic profile, I'm sure there are plenty who are the other way around as well.

I am glad this information is becoming more accessible. I think autistic women have gone undiagnosed and misdiagnosed for many years with only the ones with the more "masculine" presentation being caught, because the classic research into autism only involved male children and no one seemed to catch on that autism can look different in females.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 2:58 pm

Jinks wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Me too.
I also fit more of the "female" aspie profile than the classic profile. I also get along better with aspie females than with aspie males. (but I have lots of aspie-male friends as well).
Jinks wrote:
You have to remember both that mental gender is not absolute, and also that there is a particularly high incidence of gender variance in people with ASDs, so "female AS traits" and "male AS traits" are only going to be general guidelines
Yes, exactly. Most of us transcend stereotypical gender expectations.
Jinks wrote:
While more females will fall into this description and more males into the classic profile, I'm sure there are plenty who are the other way around as well
Yes, I met many, both males and females, who are the other way around.
Jinks wrote:
I am glad this information is becoming more accessible. I think autistic women have gone undiagnosed and misdiagnosed for many years with only the ones with the more "masculine" presentation being caught, because the classic research into autism only involved male children and no one seemed to catch on that autism can look different in females.
I am also glad this information is becoming more accessible. Thanks to this female aspie profile, perhaps we are going to witness a new wave of newly diagnosed, highly attractive aspie females :-)

http://www.autscape.org/

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 3:20 pm

i was just looking at the female traits you have posted, im not sure but surely a lot of people have these traits and do not have aspergers, where does it become the case where someone would be diagnosed, would you have to have all the traits listed, i have most but not all.

or maybe the traits i think are normal are not as normal as i first thought, although one of the stims is leg bouncing which i have seen other people do including myself, when does leg bouncing become a stimming thing and a lot of people tap their feet aswell and fingers, i do that a lot, does that mean im agitated a lot. i dot jump around and dance when happy but not in public but im sure a lot of people do that as well.

as far as i can see a lot of these are just individual personality traits that could be seen in a lot people, for example having an extreme sense of justice is a personality trait that i would hope a lot of people have, why put that under the aspergesr traits, unless of course there is study to prove that female aspies hate injustice more than non female aspies

although reading all of them i can see that there are quite a few traits that i dont think are common and make sense being aspergesr traits such as being emotionally imature. im not sure but i thought msot people are happier in their own home or in a controlled enviroment or am i wrong, i do sometimes have misconceptions about whats the norm.

gratin
Raven
Raven

16 Mar 2013, 3:47 pm

franknfurter wrote:
i was just looking at the female traits you have posted, im not sure but surely a lot of people have these traits and do not have aspergers, where does it become the case where someone would be diagnosed, would you have to have all the traits listed, i have most but not all.

or maybe the traits i think are normal are not as normal as i first thought, although one of the stims is leg bouncing which i have seen other people do including myself, when does leg bouncing become a stimming thing and a lot of people tap their feet aswell and fingers, i do that a lot, does that mean im agitated a lot. i dot jump around and dance when happy but not in public but im sure a lot of people do that as well.

as far as i can see a lot of these are just individual personality traits that could be seen in a lot people, for example having an extreme sense of justice is a personality trait that i would hope a lot of people have, why put that under the aspergesr traits, unless of course there is study to prove that female aspies hate injustice more than non female aspies

although reading all of them i can see that there are quite a few traits that i dont think are common and make sense being aspergesr traits such as being emotionally imature. im not sure but i thought msot people are happier in their own home or in a controlled enviroment or am i wrong, i do sometimes have misconceptions about whats the norm.

They are a list by Rudy Simone author of Aspergirls, etc. They are not used for diagnosis, this is what she says about the list ...

These lists are based on my research. While others may be coming to their own similar conclusions, I based these observations of Female AS on interviews with dozens of diagnosed women of all ages and educational backgrounds, from all over the world. These traits were threads that ran throughout their information and stories, tying us all together. As usual, I do not mean to say that all women with AS will possess all of these traits and I do not like putting us in boxes, but there was a need for an easy-to-read reference. This list will certainly be expanded and revised in the future.

To me the characteristics are normal but then I've nothing to compare them with am not sure how usual it is to prefer your own home / a controlled environment. Does anyone here know?

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 4:00 pm

gratin wrote:
franknfurter wrote:

They are a list by Rudy Simone author of Aspergirls, etc. They are not used for diagnosis, this is what she says about the list ...

These lists are based on my research. While others may be coming to their own similar conclusions, I based these observations of Female AS on interviews with dozens of diagnosed women of all ages and educational backgrounds, from all over the world. These traits were threads that ran throughout their information and stories, tying us all together. As usual, I do not mean to say that all women with AS will possess all of these traits and I do not like putting us in boxes, but there was a need for an easy-to-read reference. This list will certainly be expanded and revised in the future.

To me the characteristics are normal but then I've nothing to compare them with am not sure how usual it is to prefer your own home / a controlled environment. Does anyone here know?

ok that makes sense, i thought some of the traits were a bit strange to be part of a diagnosis, hmm perhaps a control group needed to be done with non female aspies to see what traits are specific to female aspies and not just part of personality traits of all people aspie or non aspie. i would like to know about being happiest in your own home or controlled enviroment as well. :)

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2013, 7:12 pm

franknfurter wrote:
gratin wrote:
franknfurter wrote:

ok that makes sense, i thought some of the traits were a bit strange to be part of a diagnosis, hmm perhaps a control group needed to be done with non female aspies to see what traits are specific to female aspies and not just part of personality traits of all people aspie or non aspie. i would like to know about being happiest in your own home or controlled enviroment as well. :)

I don't think that they are any autistic traits that can't be found in non-autistics. If there are, it's very few.

It's not about having AS traits of not, it's partly down to how many you have. Everyone has some.

Wycca
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Mar 2013, 7:44 pm

Oh wow if I ever get up the nerve to bring my research to my parents I'll have to show them this. I know it's not for diagnostic use or anything but every single one of those fits me. Especially the last three columns.

Maybe then they would stop getting mad at me for telling them to get their dog to stop barking for thirty minutes straight or for getting emotional so easily.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 8:02 pm

YES! THIS IS EXACLY ME!! !! !! !

asp123

17 Mar 2013, 6:07 am

Where does i find this "traits" I cant see it??
I want too read :)

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 6:17 am

Yes, that's me

Especially the 'wash and wear' hairstyle and not wanting to bother with grooming

I hate having to have showers (but do when necessary) and can live for days in my nightclothes

I don't like being defined by gender and that's why I like being at home the best as gender is irrelevant there
and I can do what I like

The performance of gender normality that has to be put on outside the house really gets on my nerves

I am extremely sensitive to medication too

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 6:25 am

gratin wrote:
franknfurter wrote:

I would think that a preference for your own home is very common for autistic people as if you don't fit in with people you tend to withdraw and feel happiest at home

The tendency to prefer being at home probably correlates with the amount of difficulty a person has fitting in with others and their difficulty fitting in will depend on the extent of their autistic traits and general mental robustness probably.

An extrovert personality will probably want to mix more but if you experience too much anxiety and/or failure/rejection in a social setting on an ongoing basis or don't get enough out of it you tend to withdraw and prefer being at home