How do you pass the time when you're unemployed?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

brea593
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Apr 2013, 4:42 am

I find I have excessive amounts of time to myself now. It's really hard for me despite being a hermit and needing more alone time than most people. 4 months is alot of time, but I figure instead of being hard on myself I'll just be positive about how this will look for my disability case. So when you're not looking for employment, what're you doing to stay grounded and sane?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 5:00 am

In the early 1990s, the company where I worked was going under and I went on unemployment. While looking for a new job, the president of the company and I spent our time doing what we could to try to bring that company back. In the end, it didn't succeed, but it did keep me busy most of the time until I found a new job.

shyengineer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Apr 2013, 6:58 am

I learn things. Some are just for my own enjoyment but I also spend some time on business skills. If I've got this time I should at least do some self-improvement.

helles
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 7:40 am

Gardening is the best :D
Learning new stuff is also good.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 8:08 am

I haven't worked in well over a decade. I spend most of my time online browsing the internet or playing video games or cleaning the house.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 11:03 am

I'm about to be in that situation.

What I'll probably do, if I can't stomach networking and job-hunting 40 hours a week, is work on programming a video game of some kind. I have an unfinished project whose code is messy, and I could clean that code up. Even if it means undoing a lot of my "progress!"

What that will do is get me some much-needed practice and experience in the field I want to go into. Plus it will be a thrill to play a video game that I MADE! I may have to watch out for spending too much time playing my work instead of making more of it...

AQ: 33

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 12:24 pm

Whatever you end up doing, time should be a valuable resource to put to good use, not a nuisance to get rid of.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 11:58 pm

I learned how to cook!

Now I can make some fabulous roast chicken.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 12:03 am

managertina wrote:
I learned how to cook!

Now I can make some fabulous roast chicken.

^^^ Nice!

I know I've enjoyed a lot of this time off but it's not been what I call "productive". On the plus side, I've maintained ties with my estranged children by speaking the them on the phone 1-3 hours a day! (I should invest in a good headset!)

There's music I mean to compose... books I mean to write... classes I mean to take... must break the lethargic chains of depression and DO them! :oops:

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 12:27 am

Good stuff, BlueMax!

Nothing like a hobby or passion and phone calls!

Should I ever get fired again, I have a ukulele...

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 10:21 am

I spend most of my time taking care of my body b/c of chronic illness, but other than that, I research my obsessions and play games. I make sure to go outside on a regular basis, as this helps my mood. Don't forget to have a good time. I struggle with the guilt of not being able to work and sometimes forget that I'm allowed to have a good time. I'm not being punished for not being able to work. (I have a severe guilt complex)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

18 Apr 2013, 5:42 pm

I haven't worked in like 5/6 years(I forget how long it's been exactly). I used to spend alot of time on computer browsing the net researching things(sometimes useful & sometimes pointless stuff), posting on forums & chatting online. I also watched TV & played video-games occasionally. Then I started trying to work on myself some by being more helpful around the house, going places with my parents just to get out or going to my grandparents more as well as a couple other things to be more social. I moved 5 months ago & haven't managed to get my comp up here yet so I have to use my girlfriend's laptop & desktops work much better for me so I'm not on comp as much as I used to be. I watch TV & we go places like shopping which takes awhile because we go by bus & we usually walk to the bus station on the way there to get more exercise. We sometimes just go walking too.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

jander
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Apr 2013, 11:55 pm

I was unemployed for the last few months until I got a job last month. What I did was I would apply for at least 1 job a day which involved searching for it, researching the position and the people I would work for, focusing my resume, and writing a specific cover letter.

That gets tiring, especially since by design a person will get more rejections than acceptances. I applied for over 100 jobs and had 1 offer. So you need things that make you enjoy. I really enjoy learning so I enrolled in 2 online courses at a local community college in programming and networking. I also do some other learning on how to program online. I also read some fiction.

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Apr 2013, 12:16 am

When I´m unemployed, I spend time doing my special interests -reading and daydreaming.

vk2goh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2013, 2:06 am

there's tons of things you can do. Key is how you use what time and resources you have available. If your seious about getting a job, you should work on the skills that you think are holding you back from potential employment

When I was unemployed, I learnt how to cook, clean and worked on build on my social skills.
I also begun my volunteering work at the local radio station.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 2:45 am

Vk2goh...good answer.

I learned cataloguing standards for an exam I had to pass, in addition to cooking. And I did a little relevant volunteering. I also took care to research my special interest in the event I could parlay it into a career, which I have.