Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jcarmel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2013, 3:05 am

I am NT and I have a verbal stream of consciousness constantly moving through my head. If I do think of an image, I usually have a mental "caption" for it.

My AS girlfriend told me that she thinks in pictures, which blew my mind.

How about you?

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 3:09 am

Apparently a lot of Aspies think in pictures. I am more of a words girl. I certainly relate to your verbal 'stream of consciousness'

DyspraxicPanda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2013, 3:11 am

I think in words and only in words. I'm NLD so it's actually hard for me to vizualize anything. I even have trouble to when I'm reading a book (and I'm a huge bookworm). I mean, some people say they visualize everything when they read but I can't... Usually I can see the characters a little but sometimes they have no face hahaha

Your Aspie score: 135 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 70 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 Apr 2013, 3:51 am

jcarmel wrote:
I am NT and I have a verbal stream of consciousness constantly moving through my head. If I do think of an image, I usually have a mental "caption" for it.

My AS girlfriend told me that she thinks in pictures, which blew my mind.

How about you?

It blew my mind to learn that people really have a verbal stream of consciousness constantly moving through their heads. I was familiar with the idea, but I thought it was more a literary conceit to provide a character's perspective, not what it is literally like.

I think visually. I can try to think in words but what happens is my thought loops over and over until I stop trying.

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2013, 3:55 am

Pictures, connections, feelings, hunches, and concepts. I imagine conversations sometimes or play with text in my head for foresight or writing purposes, but I can't imagine actually thinking in words.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 3:57 am

Quote:
Do you think in words or pictures?

No.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 4:03 am

I posted it as a pool, to see the results.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5346091.html#5346091

b9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 4:06 am

i think in neither words nor pictures. i think instinctively, and what ever "thought" i think is created immediately in my mind. i do not seem to have any manual control of what comes to my mind. i have no idea what i am going to think until i have already thought it. it is only then do i frame it with a scaffolding of words.
when i am thinking mathematically, i think in something similar to diagrams, but i do not see them. they are subjective diagrams which i am centrally plugged into.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 4:11 am

Quote:
Do you think in words or pictures?

Both. It's more a combination.

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 4:12 am

Verdandi wrote:
It blew my mind to learn that people really have a verbal stream of consciousness constantly moving through their heads.

It blew my mind to find other people don't have a verbal stream of consciousness. Sometimes it's so loud in my head that I can hardly think. I was prescribed antipsychotics once (I am not / was not psychotic - psychiatrists :roll: ) and I couldn't believe how quiet it was in my head. I asked my friend about it and she was 8O . Oops, I always thought everyone had the same thing in their heads, it must just be me. And some of you :)

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 4:30 am

Primarily think in concepts.

Can also think in pictures/video. Can also inner monologue and replay sound clips.

But primarily, it is concepts that do the brunt of my mental work.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 5:33 am

I most definitely think in pictures; even when I think of words, I see them printed on a sheet of paper. :)

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg

The_Hemulen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2013, 5:49 am

I definitely think in pictures, not words. Hence why I have so much difficulty putting my thoughts into words when speaking!

For those who think in words, isn't it quite a slow process?! I can't imagine I could think quickly enough in words to be functional...

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2013, 7:34 am

b9 wrote:
i think in neither words nor pictures. i think instinctively, and what ever "thought" i think is created immediately in my mind. i do not seem to have any manual control of what comes to my mind. i have no idea what i am going to think until i have already thought it. it is only then do i frame it with a scaffolding of words.
when i am thinking mathematically, i think in something similar to diagrams, but i do not see them. they are subjective diagrams which i am centrally plugged into.

b9, I perceive thinking similarly. I do see visual images in my head and thus I could be defined as an almost pure visual thinker, but it is very clear to me that thinking itself happens beneath or before the pictures and often completely without them.

Frequently there’s nothing graspable in my head as I think, and still I am very much thinking. How would I even be able to write this and formulate my thoughts at the same time as there is nothing happening in my brain visually, verbally or in any other graspable form as I do so?

I often consciously stop all the images to be in this sensation of “pure” thinking. It’s a bit like riding a wave - except you are not riding the wave, but the wave is riding you.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 7:41 am

When thinking about human interactions, I think in concepts while pondering perceptions, then look for ways to put things into words. But if the words do not come easily, I look back through perceptions of concepts until things are more clear and a specific path or course of action becomes more clear and can be worded.

While dealing with mechanical things (such as while I was still working as an industrial fabricator), I do the same to develop "pictures" I then bring into reality by manipulating the various physical components required to do so.

Some people call all of that "creative", but I say no human being can actually "create" anything. What we can do, however, is to perceive, comprehend, understand and manipulate principles, laws and materials already in existence.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 9:10 am

Concrete sensory information (mostly visuals and feelings), spatial layout, patterns. I can think of words but I can't think in words.

Love transcends all.