Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JesusLover05
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jan 2007, 5:37 pm

I have a heard that Candida overgrowth in our digestive tract or elsewhere is connected with autism. I was wondering if Candida overgrowth is connected with Asperger's Syndrome. Also, I was wondering if the suspection of Candida overgrowth linked to autism is a hypothetical conclusion somebody thought and no one knows if it is true or not. What do you think? Is Candida overgrowth linked to autism/asperger's syndrome? :)

RubyLee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2007, 5:52 pm

I don't think they are related. I would think that a Candida overgrowth would cause physical problems, not mental ones. I think it's just hypothetical.
Where did you hear about this?
If it was definitely true, then people would do a Candida cleanse and their autism would be gone.

14 Jan 2007, 7:03 pm

what is candida?

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 7:53 pm

Jutty wrote:
what is candida?

I thought it was Canada for a second.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2007, 11:36 pm

Candida is a pretty good light opera,

and a pretty weak theory of autism and AS

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

13 Feb 2007, 10:15 am

are we talking about a health issue or a performance one would go to see?

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 11:56 pm

JesusLover05 wrote:
I have a heard that Candida overgrowth in our digestive tract or elsewhere is connected with autism. I was wondering if Candida overgrowth is connected with Asperger's Syndrome. Also, I was wondering if the suspection of Candida overgrowth linked to autism is a hypothetical conclusion somebody thought and no one knows if it is true or not. What do you think? Is Candida overgrowth linked to autism/asperger's syndrome? :)

I don't believe there's anything in the serious medical literature that supports that claim, no.

ebplibrarian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2007, 6:55 pm

For those who don't know what candida is, go to www.medlineplus.gov and type in candida. This is a great resource for any medical questions that is provided by the US tax dollars and reviewed by the National Library of Medicine. :)

For the scholars.... try pubmed.gov and see what your doctors are reading.

ebplibrarian

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2007, 2:22 pm

The only article I see come up at PubMed when typing in "candida autism" is not in a major publication, but is in one called "Alternative Medicine Review" that is put out by a company (Thorne) that makes and sells alternative meds for people and animals. Thorne's been in business since 1984, according to their website. They are now doing business out of Idaho. According to the Idaho IDSOS website, they filed as a corporation there in 1990, and also filed a similar business for veterinary products in 1999 (that corporation was subsequently disolved). The company was originally incorporated in 1984 in the State of Washington. They deal in diet supplements and other such items. The company is run by Al and Kelly Czap (see here for info http://www.accessidaho.org/public/sos/c ... lue=C92303

I did a search on the author of that article, PM Kidd, and can't find him there being published in any major legitimate journal after 1985 - he's publishing solely in AMR according to PubMed. His journal cite seems to indicate he is associated with UC Berkeley, but I do not find a PM (Parris M) Kidd at UCB. He says in other materials he earned his PhD in Cell Biology from UCB. From a google search, I find that he is running a consulting company dealing with nutrition as treatment for disease, having walked away from academics in 1983 after becoming disenchanged with his postdoc work on rodent heart diseases and being unable to survive in the academic research sphere.

I did a search for him in the scholarly publications citations index and find that they do not list publications for him from 1986 until 2003. Prior work appears to be related to the immune system, and is usually co-authored. The Citations Index does show that he has an article published on nutrition in autism in "Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine" in 2003, but it has never been cited by other researchers.

In doing a general google search on Parris Kidd I find him only published in popular press, where he seems to be making the rounds of talk shows and selling non-scientific books on a variety of health-related topics.

He either believes in what he's doing or he's shilling a gullible public and making a mint off the "alternative medicine" circuit. There's no way to tell from here. But his record, above, does not exactly instill confidence in me that he's a legitimate researcher onto anything of substance. If he was, believe me, other researchers would be both citing and stealing his research to an absolutely astounding degree. :wink:

AspergianSuperstar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2011, 3:10 pm

I believe there must be some kind of link perhaps that individuals with autism are more likely to develop candida due to an immune cause

someone on TV explained it in terms of immunoglobulin levels [think he mentioned IgA] - on a Sky community channel around 203

has anyone else come across this and is there any other references in the scientific literature

KBerg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2011, 5:27 pm

Let me just put it this way, the people here who are now claiming candida causes many many many many serious things for which there aren't real cures except for what they are selling... are the same people who believe in:
- purifying their bodies with regular enemas and consuming only puree'd veggies for 2 weeks every 2 months
- applying crystal nanotechnology patches that pull negative energy out of your pores without using any active ingredients
- selling and using herbalife as a fix to all of life's problems
- thinking positive thoughts so the 'Visitors' will know they're welcome and reveal themselves to the people of Earth, ushering in the foretold golden age
- talk about how The Secret changed their life. Well they still have the same crappy job, jerk boyfriend and are up to their neck in debts (crystal patches ain't cheap) but still it totally delivered on making only good things happen to them.

I'm not saying they're like those people, I'm saying I look at the list of names of the people who are now sending in articles on candida to the local papers and they're the exact same people. This alone is enough to make me deeply suspicious because most of those people are insane gullible idiots who will fall for anything. Every few months they switch horses to a new insane theory that explains and fixes everything, and few months after they switch out of it - strangely they still have that ailment that they've been cured of so many times in the past. I know this because once they find a new miracle cure they'll mention how it's cured the thing the last miracle cure was supposed to have removed forever. Whether it be cancer, heart conditions, diabetics, Parkinson's, epilepsy, CP or Autism - that's just mentioning the big ones, usually there's an even longer list of smaller things the new hotness is supposed to fix as well. So just based on that plus the usual articles from the General Surgeon's office saying they must stop advertising that they can cure these things unless they can provide real scientific evidence, I'm going to remain skeptical to the point of dismissal.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 9:02 am

The title of this post and the way the original post is worded leads me to believe it was intended as an advertisement.

Also the fact that it was the OP's first post.

So...stop using WP to sell your snake oil, JesusLover!! :roll:

AspergianSuperstar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2011, 11:17 am

Has anyone searched any of the scientific journals for a link?

places anyone can search is http://www.sciencedirect.com/ or Google Scholar [or previously mentioned Pubmed]

this paper was interesting, I can probably get access to this article without paying the 31.50

Copyright © 2005 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. Cited By in Scopus (27)
Permissions & Reprints
Original Article
Evaluation of an association between gastrointestinal symptoms and cytokine production against common dietary proteins in children with autismnext term spectrum disorders
Purchase
$ 31.50

Harumi Jyonouchi MDCorresponding Author Contact Information, a, E-mail The Corresponding Author, Lee Geng PhDa, Agnes Ruby BSa, Chitra Reddy MDa and Barbie Zimmerman-Bier MDa

a From the Department of Pediatrics, New Jersey Medical School, UMDNJ, Newark, New Jersey
Received 21 May 2004;
revised 27 September 2004;
accepted 12 January 2005.
See editorial, p 582..
Available online 30 April 2005.

I need to try and access these - can try later

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 12:53 pm

Starbuline wrote:
Jutty wrote:
what is candida?

I thought it was Canada for a second.

:lol:

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 3:31 pm

Candida is responsible for your garden variety yeast infection. Candida in the gut is usually only possible after an illness, longterm or strong antibiotic treatment and commonly found in immunosuppressed patients. If you have some reason to suspect that your natural gut flora are somehow radically out of balance, it's fairly easy to test for.

Many on the spectrum complain of having digestive tract malfunctions. This lead to the misconception on candida. It may be a problem for a select few but it is highly unlikely autism is caused by a yeast infection.

cassandra
Raven
Raven

27 Mar 2011, 12:29 pm

Eating yoghurt or something with L Casei defensis helps to keep the yeast under control.