Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

sixteenornumber
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2013, 7:03 am

Today was like any other day. I work up, brushed my teeth, made some coffee and before I got dressed, I sat at my computer and started reading up on Relational algebra. 10min before it was time lo leave, I ran through the house. After ironing my shirt I ran out the door just barely getting to work on time. I spent my entire day somewhat skipping out on work so I could program some of what I learned that morning as well as following along with a book. I get home and its off to Google to find something new. I almost always have a hard time going to sleep even after taking sleeping pills because my brain is racing! going over things, theorizing other things. I do this 7 days a week. Is there anyone here that can relate to this?

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 7:10 pm

I tend to be obsessed with gathering and applying knowledge myself, though not to the extent that it negatively impacts my work life.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 8:02 am

I do that too, somewhat. My job keeps my hands and eyes occupied, but not my mind. I have developed research projects, public service campaigns, knitting designs, etc., by the hundreds. Unfortunately, I can't stop and write any of it down so it's all here and gone. :(

My brain is wasted on me. I wish I could donate it to someone with more free time and wisdom.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

25 Apr 2013, 11:53 pm

I have some of that behavior but it's not about knowledge. My brain doesn't handle knowledge that well due to dyslexia & probably other learning issues. I get caught up doing mindless stuff & I go over it over & over again in my head & it can keep me up.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 2:05 am

Definitely relate to this. I can go onto the Internet for 5 minutes, look something up, and then see something else interesting, follow the link to that.....and so it goes on. Before I know what has happened I can have been sitting there for half the day reading up on random stuff :?

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 8:05 am

Around here people call that "perseverating" on their "special interest", OP. It's as common as any other AS trait.

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

26 Apr 2013, 10:06 am

With places like Wikipedia I often get swept up in going from link to link till I have 20 tabs open, and I can read a book for 6+ hours. Sometimes it interferes with schedules and work, and I tend to get a headache from either self-inflicted overload or eye strain or maybe a combination of the two.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 11:29 am

Obsession has such a negative connotation. I like to say I have a passion for knowledge.

WarmAir
Raven
Raven

26 Apr 2013, 7:06 pm

PsychoSarah wrote:
Obsession has such a negative connotation. I like to say I have a passion for knowledge.

"Passion" does sound better than "addiction".

Passion makes me want to use WP.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 6:20 pm

sixteenornumber wrote:
Today was like any other day. I work up, brushed my teeth, made some coffee and before I got dressed, I sat at my computer and started reading up on Relational algebra. 10min before it was time lo leave, I ran through the house. After ironing my shirt I ran out the door just barely getting to work on time. I spent my entire day somewhat skipping out on work so I could program some of what I learned that morning as well as following along with a book. I get home and its off to Google to find something new. I almost always have a hard time going to sleep even after taking sleeping pills because my brain is racing! going over things, theorizing other things. I do this 7 days a week. Is there anyone here that can relate to this?

I can relate to your passionate/obsessive pursuit of knowledge.
For me, my desire to learn is very intense to the extent of being a psychosocial problem.

Are you fulfilled intellectually by your vocation?

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 7:31 pm

I sometimes am guilty of doing this. Especially on WP. But because I am the sole breadwinner in my household of one, I acknowledge that I cannot do it often, and that I have to impose bedtime rules on myself in order to sleep, and that I have to have time parameters or I will never get the housework done. I wish, sometimes that I had the latitude of not having to work and support myself. I have a million things I would do. However, I am lucky that my job is my special interest, so in many ways I am fulfilled.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 1:27 am

I like me some trivia.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 3:50 am

Moomingirl wrote:
Definitely relate to this. I can go onto the Internet for 5 minutes, look something up, and then see something else interesting, follow the link to that.....and so it goes on. Before I know what has happened I can have been sitting there for half the day reading up on random stuff :?

I do this, too.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 5:35 am

I always binge on information about anything I'm interested in, reading and memorizing everything about it. I just soak up everything.