Told my employer I have AS, still not enough consideration

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jun 2013, 7:40 am

Since 2009, I have only been doing jobs I felt miserable in. All this time I kept thinking "all of this is just temporary, I'll get a job I enjoy at some point."
Which happened last year in October. I became salesman of the gaming part of the entertainment branch in Media Markt (Europe's version of best buy basically.) It was the only job I ever enjoyed. I'm verbally gifted, and I learned non-verbal communication through pure theory, which I started to apply to real world situations.
But the job required me to be very independent and show lots of initiative. I learned A LOT but apparently for my employer, it took too long. And they also constantly complained I wasn't social enough with my colleagues. So inevitably, I got fired yet again.

I had tons of experience working in a supermarket, mainly dry foods. So when I got a job interview last month to work in the foods section of one, I said I'd like the job. And I got it.

See, when somebody tells me they'll put me in the food sector, I assume that I'll be working with, you know, food articles. But it turned out that the "food section" of the store is the one with the most diversity and responsibility. Most of what falls under my job description has nothing to do with food whatsoever. Since I'm a man, they assume that I have strength (which I really don't compared to most men), so they make me stock the heavier articles. Which are mainly cleaning agents and laundry detergents... Articles I have absolutely zero interest in. Most boxes are too heavy, resulting in back pain.
And it certainly doesn't help that I have many responsibilities that at every other job I ever had, were responsibilities for warehousemen and managers.
I have too many responsibilities that require flexibility, independent problem-solving, spacial awareness and precise attention. To make matters even worse, I often get left to fend for myself, having no one around to back me up if I don't know anything. Which is incredibly stressful for me. And when I'm stressed I only get more back pain.

Add to that the fact I have to spend a lot of time in the warehouse of the store, which is completely riddled with devices that make a lot of loud noise, and noises that drive me crazy (mainly high pitched, monotonous), only adding even more stress.

After about a week I told my employer that I'm diagnosed with autism. I said everything went too fast, that I had to learn way too many things at the same time, and I was left alone much too often.
The reactions are basically "you'll manage", "I know it's a lot to learn but we'll give you enough time", etc.

But ever other employer I ever had, never gave me enough time. Because of my verbal intelligence, they expect me to function manually at the same level. Which obviously I can't. It has led to me being fired from every single job I ever had, except those I quit myself because they were simply horrible.

I couldn't function in the job I had before the last one I get fired at. I explained that the job wasn't for me, but instead of just firing me, they manipulated me into signing a document that said I terminated employment out of my own free will. I did know what the document said, but at that point the job made me so miserable it seemed favorable to still working there.
So my fear is that if I explain all my problems, they'll make me choose between working feeling miserably, and voluntarily ending the contract again.

I don't want to work that job, I don't want to resign, but I also don't want to get fired again. I'm in such a pickle here... I don't know what to do.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 10:49 am

The most I can suggest is to find ways to adapt.

You could state that the items you are expected to move are too heavy for you to do by yourself and that you need help. You do have to assert yourself here, and don't hesitate to see a doctor under a worker's compensation claim saying that the work environment is causing you back pain (physical strain or stress related).

As far as noise, get some foam earplugs...it makes a big difference. If they fuss, tell them to get you electronic hearing protectors which let you hear things at a normal volume YOU set but automatically clamp down on loud noises.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 10:55 am

sixstring wrote:

Did you expect that "coming out" to an employer would cause the heavens to open, the angels to sing, and the Spirit of the Lord to descend upon you as a voice thunders from above, "THIS IS MY CHOSEN ONE. BE EXCELLENT TO HIM."?

I'm sorry for the snark, but reactions like the one you received from your boss are why I will not "come out" about my AS/ASD to anyone.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jun 2013, 11:22 am

Fnord wrote:
sixstring wrote:

Did you expect that "coming out" to an employer would cause the heavens to open, the angels to sing, and the Spirit of the Lord to descend upon you as a voice thunders from above, "THIS IS MY CHOSEN ONE. BE EXCELLENT TO HIM."?

I'm sorry for the snark, but reactions like the one you received from your boss are why I will not "come out" about my AS/ASD to anyone.
No, but I was hoping to have them either decide I'm not fit for the job, or take it into consideration and give me more guidance and more time to learn everything.

HarrisDE
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2013, 2:51 pm

Firstly, I'm sorry you're having so many problems with employment. I can totally relate...

I have held jobs with 13 different employers since 2005. Most of them were in food service, a few of them I was singled out for "odd behavior" as a caveat to problems with my orientation. In the last of my jobs in my educated profession, I was reassigned to a lower paying menial job, instead of the man who threatened to kill me because of my "work ethic." I know it can seem quite bleak, especially when you think about the significant proportion of your life spent at work.

I diagnosed myself in December, 2012, with an official diagnosis in February, 2013, of AS. This diagnosis has illuminated a lot of issues I've struggled with in my 26 years on this planet.

I would say the biggest epiphany I had was that it is MY RESPONSIBILITY to improve my own weaknesses, and that I can never expect anyone, least of all, an employer, to bend over backward to accomodate me. Yes, the ADA protects us against discrimination, but quite honestly, that's a really backward and negative way of protecting your employment.

It seems like you might have the wrong kind of mindset. You say things like "I can't do this or that," and "I just need more time/understanding." While not completely unreasonable, these statements really show that you have not taken responsibility for improving things for yourself. It seems harsh, but it needs to be understood and acted upon. Life is just harder for us, but no one is going to go out of their way to make it any easier; it's all up to YOU!

If you haven't read Rudy Simone's "Asperger's on the Job," I suggest you do so immediately. At the very least, it will give you perspective that you're not the only Autie out there struggling with employment and fulfillment. At best, it will replenish your arsenal of defenses against the relentless battle the world makes for us.

Subtlety is probably the most valuable skill an Autie can develop. It's great for work, friends, family, self. You can train yourself to be the person you want to be, just not the perfect version.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 10:38 pm

sixstring wrote:
... I was hoping to have them either decide I'm not fit for the job, or take it into consideration and give me more guidance and more time to learn everything.

But you weren't prepared for indifference, were you?

I've known people on the GLBT spectrum who have "come out" to their families, only to be met with cheerful indifference.

They were all devastated.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jun 2013, 5:37 am

HarrisDE wrote:
It seems like you might have the wrong kind of mindset. You say things like "I can't do this or that," and "I just need more time/understanding." While not completely unreasonable, these statements really show that you have not taken responsibility for improving things for yourself. It seems harsh, but it needs to be understood and acted upon. Life is just harder for us, but no one is going to go out of their way to make it any easier; it's all up to YOU!
Oh no I have. But in order for me to improve myself, I need to be in an environment that actually allows that to happen.

Right now the stress is shutting me down.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 12:39 pm

I think it's fairly common for warehouse workers to wear hearing protection.

zarok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2013, 2:40 pm

I don't know where you live... well Europe obviously. But i am looking for jobs here and we have groups that help with advocacy. They let you know everything you can do and how to make sure your employer doesn't weasel you out of something you should have. I would recommend you find this. Find out exactly what accommodations you can get. In my opinion i think they should give you a list of job duty's that you can read and decide if you can do the job. Then if they make you do other things you can refuse to do them because they are not listed under what your job entitles. And they cant fire you for not doing something its not your job to do.

This is how i understand it works in a grocery store here in the usa.
Though i recommend finding an advocacy group that can tell you your rights and what you are entitled for.