Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Scia
Raven
Raven

25 Jun 2013, 11:17 pm

Okay, so through this forum, I've learned that a lot of Autistics have trouble identifying or remembering faces, known as face-blindness or prosopagnosia. I've also learned that a lot of Autistics also have trouble identifying and describing their own emotions and such, as well as figuring out other people's emotions, known as alexithymia.

I was wondering: Is it also common to have difficulty learning and remembering names? And either way, is there a scientific name for it? Because it seems to me like names can be almost as hard as faces. (I appear to have the associative form of face-blindness, so I can identify people, but it's difficult, especially without proper context.) Numbers, dates and such are also difficult for me; I think my mind processes them (as well as names) as if they're similar types of data, and unfortunately it doesn't process them well.

Do you have trouble with names and such?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 11:24 pm

I have trouble remembering names and birthdays, but that could be related to age and my history of drinking as well. It's embarrassing when you meet people you know and they call your name but you can't call theirs.

SPtread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2013, 11:53 pm

Yes. All the time I have trouble remembering names when first being introduced, but for the most part I am neither actively listening nor actively trying to remember their names. And, often I will never see them again. So, it takes me longer than most to remember the names of people that I see over and over again. When I talk to most people, I never really address people by their name. Though people do tend to address me by my name.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 12:54 am

If someone told me there name. I'd forget it in about 3 seconds.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 1:58 am

it takes many repetitions before I remember somebody's name. :oops:

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 3:23 am

Names go straight into the vacuum. Unless they are repeats of significant names, then my cogs go tilt.

EQ: 6.

apequake
Raven
Raven

26 Jun 2013, 4:26 am

I remember faces much better than names. I generally have had better luck if I see the name in written down instead of orally.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 7:36 am

Names (and jargon, and math formulas) are VERY difficult for me to remember and repetition does not always help. I can sometimes remember the first letter of the name, but not the name itself.

My neuropsych says this is because my brain operates on a almost entirely visual-spacial way to the detriment of my language processing and processing of signs/symbols (was given technical name for this but do not remember it now).

This is part of why I can do upper level math with ease knowing the concepts and how things go together because at this point everything can pretty much be represented on a graph of sorts, but I have a very hard time remembering formulas and doing basic math by hand takes more time with more mistakes.

Minou
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jun 2013, 9:49 am

I too have trouble remembering names. I couldn't even rember my own childrens names until they were 3 or so. I just called them sweetheart and honey.

I tend to be able to remember better if I visualize the name as written and use it when addressing them.

I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe

BookPerson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2013, 10:26 am

Unless someone has a very distinctive name or I'm in near-constant contact, I have trouble remembering it. I can remember faces and traits about the person, but names always give me trouble. The only strategy I've found is just to be nice about it, apologize, and ask their name again.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2013, 10:57 am

Oh yes, its so embarrassing, I mean I teach adult art classes and I can never remember my students names. I even get confused over my childrens names, sometimes calling one by anothers name. I also have difficulty remembering faces, and even get confused when a cousin says hi, I'm like "eek who is this person and where do I know them from?". I never realised it was part of my Aspergers though (I'm still learning about myself 4 months after being diagnosed).

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 10:58 am

I despise it when people give me directions verbally. I say, give me a map and point to where it is, because the left/right street name mentioning doesn't work for me at all. I have no idea where these streets are if they mention it. Street Names, names of people... very bad. 8 years in the office and people greet me by name and I have no idea who they are :P

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 11:16 am

I have extreme trouble remembering names, I remember when I was in middle school and I still did not know half my teachers names and it was almost the end of the year

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 11:49 am

I can remember faces OK, but names are hard for me to remember. If I am introduced to someone, I usually forget their name almost at once. I never had the problem at work, since I was around them every day. It also helped that we all had name tags! :) Nowdays I am retired and when I meet an old coworker I can remember their face, but often I have forgotten their name. This name recall business has been a problem for me my whole life, so it isn't necessarily associated with my age.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 2:13 pm

I have a horrible time remembering names... Best case scenario: I can joke about my old age affecting my memory (only 29, so that usually gets a little chuckle). Worst case scenario: I actually offend people I have met several times... I am less worried about these people, but it's still embbarassing.

Last edited by NEtikiman on 26 Jun 2013, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 2:22 pm

Yes. Remembering names is very difficult for me. Strangely I can remember voices better than either names or faces.