Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BydSarrett
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2013, 7:51 pm

I don't think I,so much,have that-For one thing,living an California but having grown up 35 miles to the north of New York City,I sort of,especially if I am eor manic,sort of speak in a more WASP variation of what I guess might be called the "Noo Yawk" accent-at least to folks on America's West Coast :)!

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jul 2013, 8:14 pm

What's an "Aspie accent"?

I've been told I have an accent by a few people, but I think it's just the very faint remnants of a childhood speech impediment. People outside of the Midwest might be hearing more of an actual accent.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2013, 8:17 pm

accents are colliquial, they don't come about because of neurology.

I think we tend to have certain speech mannerisms but that differs from accents.

My deviant art profile

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2013, 10:43 pm

I have read somewhere that not only speech style (pedantic speech) but speach accent may be altered.

I'm often asked if I'm a New Zealander (I was born and raised localy to where I live, QLD Australia).

I suspect accent might not be common, therefore not mentioned in the diagnositc criterea, but I'm sure I've seen it mentioned somewhere before.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2013, 1:01 am

I am from oregon and only lived in oregon.
but people say I have a southern accent.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2013, 1:56 am

GregCav wrote:
I have read somewhere that not only speech style (pedantic speech) but speach accent may be altered.

Some with AS have pedantic speech and differences in prosody (basically, your speech intonation, rhythm, etc...). I don't think it's an accent, per se, but it is a difference.

I've lived in California my entire life, but a coworker once asked me if I was from New York, based on the way I speak. Another person once told me that I seemingly have no accent. :? The only thing I know for sure is that I speak with a nasal-y intonation at times.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2013, 2:08 am

GregCav wrote:

I'm often asked if I'm a New Zealander (I was born and raised localy to where I live, QLD Australia).

I suspect accent might not be common, therefore not mentioned in the diagnositc criterea, but I'm sure I've seen it mentioned somewhere before.

I have a accent at times, due to where I'm from. I'm not sure if it's an aspie thing, but I use to be quite hard to understand to people from the mainland.

Quazar
Raven
Raven

14 Jul 2013, 2:19 am

people often have a hard time understanding what i'm saying/think i said one thing when i meant another... that count?

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2013, 10:38 am

I recognize "Aspie Accents" - not everyone with AS has them, but a good portion of the people I know do. It depends on the person but these come in all different forms.

Basically, it means that your voice is a little different from others. I know a few people who enunciate their words very clearly which comes out sort of like a slight British accent. Another person I know speaks in a flowing voice that makes her sound like she is reading a script. I know another person who constantly uses a tone of voice that makes her sound like she is frustrated or angry, even when she isn't. I know others who are monotone and speak in a serious voice, even when they are happy.

I had a monotone voice as a kid and had formal, "little professor-like" speech. I continue to have formal speech at times, though I am better at recognizing when I do this and correct this whenever I can.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term therapists - that I am an anxious and highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder.

My diagnoses - social anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2013, 11:11 pm

Yeah, I have a somewhat stilted tone to my voice. I quite like it.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Soul_Doubt
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jul 2013, 1:05 pm

I have a different accent to everyone else in my family, I always assumed it was because I moved around a lot as a child but my siblings don't sound like me.

Last edited by Soul_Doubt on 15 Jul 2013, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 1:18 pm

Yep, I've got it. People I meet never believe I'm from Texas.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 2:33 pm

I had a good Boston accent as a child. The problem was that I didn't live in, grow up in, had relatives from or even visited Boston or Massachusetts as a child. No idea where I got the accent from?

I did go to college in Boston so at least I sounded right then.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 3:56 pm

People think from the east or from Australia. Very few think England. But when I was in London, I got asked several times if I am American. Finally my location was correct lol. America is all full of different accents so even here people think I am from the east but it's still America.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Meow333
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jul 2013, 4:07 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
Yep, I've got it. People I meet never believe I'm from Texas.

I've had someone ask me that once do to my speech.
My speech patterns are all over the place at times it i am excited about something or trying to get a point across.
I've never lived in TX or west yet i have south

BydSarrett
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2013, 5:07 pm

[

...You did get to I suppose full-fleged "go to college" anyway. I didn't :cry:.

quote="Cash__"]I had a good Boston accent as a child. The problem was that I didn't live in, grow up in, had relatives from or even visited Boston or Massachusetts as a child. No idea where I got the accent from?

I did go to college in Boston so at least I sounded right then.[/quote]