Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ChristinaTheHobbit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jul 2013, 1:53 pm

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but I just found this group on Facebook: Anti-Autism Coalition. What do you guys think?

AAA- The androgynous and asexual autist

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 2:03 pm

It is in very poor taste, but in the US we have the right to say just about anything we please. Having said this, the best way to fight back is to defy these stereotypes with our own personal behavior. Seeing is believing--at least for most people.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

21 Jul 2013, 2:05 pm

ChristinaTheHobbit wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but I just found this group on Facebook: Anti-Autism Coalition. What do you guys think?

I went through and made a report against the group and then reported multiple posts individually, then messaged certain members about putting their names and posts on google where they could be searched publicly.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 2:06 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
It is in very poor taste, but in the US we have the right to say just about anything we please. Having said this, the best way to fight back is to defy these stereotypes with our own personal behavior. Seeing is believing--at least for most people.

In the U.S., we have freedom of speech in the PUBLIC forum. Facebook is a private company, and according to their stated policies, they should remove this content.

Alternatively, posting people's posts and names on Google search pages where employers can find it is also free speech. This possibility should always give pause to people posting hate speech anywhere under their real names.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 2:18 pm

10 likes since march.

Seems like it's going viral lol.

Probably liked by double accounts of the same people who set it up, just to raise the number.

Last edited by Uprising on 21 Jul 2013, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 2:18 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

In the U.S., we have freedom of speech in the PUBLIC forum. Facebook is a private company, and according to their stated policies, they should remove this content.

Alternatively, posting people's posts and names on Google search pages where employers can find it is also free speech. This possibility should always give pause to people posting hate speech anywhere under their real names.

Actually, I hope Facebook doesn't remove this content. If these people's free speech isn't free, mine isn't either; my rights are only as secure as theirs are.

Nor am I in favor of employers being allowed to discriminate against any speech other than that which is clearly criminal. Again, from this point to where employers have the right to do "health and comfort" inspections of our homes, or fire people for being a Democrats or Republicans, is a small one. "Hate" speech is protected speech as long as it doesn't pose an imminent danger to anybody. I refuse to buy into the "thoughtcrimes" business; it's un-American.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 2:21 pm

Uprising wrote:
10 likes since march.

Seems like it's going viral lol.

Yes, exactly. All trying to censor these idiots would do would be to bring them attention they wouldn't receive any other way. It's the same story with that movie some years back portraying Christ as a homosexual. Devout Christians pitched a fit, and it backfired, as it brought what I understand was a mediocre film attention it otherwise never would have received.

The best way to counter this kind of ignorance is with our own good behavior.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 2:23 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

Actually, I hope Facebook doesn't remove this content. If these people's free speech isn't free, mine isn't either; my rights are only as secure as theirs are.

Nor am I in favor of employers being allowed to discriminate against any speech other than that which is clearly criminal. Again, from this point to where employers have the right to do "health and comfort" inspections of our homes, or fire people for being a Democrats or Republicans, is a small one. "Hate" speech is protected speech as long as it doesn't pose an imminent danger to anybody. I refuse to buy into the "thoughtcrimes" business; it's un-American.

The Constitution says "Congress shall make no law..."

The First Amendment does NOT apply to private companies. To force it to apply to private companies is to violate those private companies' 14th Amendment rights and probably their freedom of speech also.

A private company can decide to allow whatever speech it wants on its own private property. No one should be allowed to tell a private company it cannot control the content on its own property. I thought THAT was American.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 2:36 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

The First Amendment does NOT apply to private companies. To force it to apply to private companies is to violate those private companies' 14th Amendment rights and probably their freedom of speech also.

A private company can decide to allow whatever speech it wants on its own private property. No one should be allowed to tell a private company it cannot control the content on its own property. I thought THAT was American.

Then do you think a company should be allowed to discriminate against Democrats or Republicans--or blacks and whites? Freedom of association is also part of the first amendment, and as such only applies to the government as well.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 2:38 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

Then do you think a company should be allowed to discriminate against Democrats or Republicans--or blacks and whites? Freedom of association is also part of the first amendment, and as such only applies to the government as well.

Republicans and Democrats, absolutely. Shouldn't the RNC be allowed to only hire Republicans?

Race, no. That would violate civil rights laws. Not the constitution. But civil rights statutes, like the Civil Rights Act of 1964. There is currently no statute protecting hate speech on facebook that I'm aware of.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 2:47 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

Republicans and Democrats, absolutely. Shouldn't the RNC be allowed to only hire Republicans?

Race, no. That would violate civil rights laws. Not the constitution. But civil rights statutes, like the Civil Rights Act of 1964. There is currently no statute protecting hate speech on facebook that I'm aware of.

Yes, the RNC should be allowed to hire only Catholics the same as the Catholic Church should be able to hire only Catholics. But how about the Fortune 500 companies? I would add that I'm not convinced that Facebook is in any way connected with autism the way the RNC is with Republicanism, or the Catholic Church is with Catholics.

Companies have the right to do urinalysis checks as a condition of employment. Should they be able to demand to search our homes also as a condition of employment?

As far as civil rights laws go, should the NAACP be forced to make seventy percent of its workforce white since seventy percent of the population is white? Or should there be a law protecting the rights of Americans from corporations provided those rights don't directly interfere with that corporation's mission?

It sounds as if we're going to disagree. I say Americans have rights that nobody should be able to take away, including corporations.

JBO
Raven
Raven

21 Jul 2013, 2:48 pm

It would be hard to overstate how little I care about the existence of this Facebook group.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 2:50 pm

JBO wrote:
It would be hard to overstate how little I care about the existence of this Facebook group.

I agree. That website is much more of a reflection on the ignorance of the owners than it ever will be on me. We need to spend our time living good lives and being the very best people we can be.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 Jul 2013, 2:51 pm

It violates Facebook's TOS, it should be reported and hopefully it will be taken down.

The people who put it up aren't losing their freedom of speech. They can always put their ideas somewhere else, as long as it doesn't violate TOS wherever they put it.

Private websites removing content has been happening for years. There's no slippery slope here that will lead to "health and comfort" inspections.

Also, hate speech is not a "thoughtcrimes" issue. No one is ever being forced to not think certain thoughts. Hate speech is action and falls into a different category. And, thankfully, it is not tolerated in many online communities because it is recognized for what it is: Specifically, rhetoric intended to inflame hatred and possibly violence toward marginalized groups of people and create an atmosphere in which it is acceptable to treat such people as subhuman.

However, there are many places where they can engage in hate speech, where it's not against any TOS or code of conduct. But if it is against the TOS or COC for any given site, then it should be removed.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 2:52 pm

JBO wrote:

Seems like the group against us is actually hated more by society than we currently are.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 3:09 pm

its a troll,clearly theyre trying to take advantage of the difficulty autists have in seeing lies.
woudnt be surprised if theyre aspie and a member on here,getting thrills off the fact people have noticed their failtrolling little shtfest.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!