Do you wish social rules were like cartoons?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 12:59 pm

I watch a lot of cartoons and the social rules always seem easier, even though people who watch cartoons still understand them.

Like when I watch the Simpsons, the characters contribute in it more, even if they don't know each other. Like the episode ''Homer the vigilante'', where they first found out that there is money buried by the cat burglar, and Homer runs out into the street, pushes two people out of his way and yells out, ''there's millions of dollars, buried under a big T!'' Everyone around hears, then desperately wants to find it so they look around then all flock to where Homer finds out where it is.
If that was real life, and I ran outside, pushing my way through people and yelling something like that, I bet people would just turn around and look at me like I'm insane and want to just run away, or I'll probably get a punch for pushing someone out of my way.

Also when I watch animations, say if a character was dancing around a room being sarcastic due to frustration about something, the others would just stand there frowning but not lose their respect, but if I was to do that in real life, my family would just tut and go ''oh for Christ sake don't be silly!'' and walk out of the room thinking I'm mad, or I will get laughed at and probably sacked if I done that at work.

I wish social rules were like in cartoons/animations. Life would be quite better.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 1:33 pm

I wish I could make my head explode to illustrate when something blows my mind.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 2:25 pm

Sure. Real life should be like Family Guy, that would work well. :roll:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 3:50 pm

Sorry, forget I made this thread.

rachel_519
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2013, 4:42 pm

I see what you mean. In cartoons, emotional expressions are usually both exaggerated and simplified by animation. That makes everything easier to read. Plus, the dialogue is all scripted, so that it flows better than dialogue in real life.

lole
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2013, 3:14 pm

rachel_519 wrote:
I see what you mean. In cartoons, emotional expressions are usually both exaggerated and simplified by animation. That makes everything easier to read. Plus, the dialogue is all scripted, so that it flows better than dialogue in real life.

This is pretty exactly what I was going to say. In a cartoon, everything is ultra simplified, so when someone frowns you know they're sad (plus you know why, because the plot spell it out for you).

In real life it's more complex than that.

Major_G
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2013, 12:07 am

lole wrote:

...unfortunately

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 12:25 am

Major_G wrote:
lole wrote:

...unfortunately

Yes.

I have often thought that life should be like a cartoon, or like a stick figure comic.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 2:22 pm

Hopefully someday something like Google Glass would assist people like us.

joejoe1298
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Aug 2013, 6:33 pm

I agree that things are simplified in cartoons, such as emotional expressions. I like that. I am not sure I would want to see all of that emotion in real life, though. It just seems unnecessary or too much. However, it would make it easier for me to see how people feel about things. That would be good. I do like watching the emotional expressions of people and animals in cartoons.

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 7:35 pm

Tom and Jerry and others helped me to learn some non-verbal cues.

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 2:22 pm

lole wrote:
rachel_519 wrote:

This is pretty exactly what I was going to say. In a cartoon, everything is ultra simplified, so when someone frowns you know they're sad (plus you know why, because the plot spell it out for you).

YES! I can even see the difference between a real smile and a fake smile on a show like Futurama. In real life, stuff like that is lost to me. I feel like it's taught me about body language and social skills, even if it's not like that in real life, since at least I know the contexts and the basic "outline" of what people would look like when feeling those emotions (even though it's way exaggerated and simplified).

Cartoons are also much better to me than live action, because those people are using real facial expressions, that I can't see, so if the plot and/or dialogue doesn't make that stuff obvious, I'll end up completely confused. I detest watching Mad Men partly because I can't understand what's going on when everyone's suddenly angry or there's sad music playing in the background, but I didn't see anything happen.

It's even better when the characters aren't human and have more body parts to emote with--like Starscream with his wings in Transformers: Prime, or the ponies' ears in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. In real life, cats and dogs are a lot easier for me to read because even though their body language is different for the same situations, they have more appendages and I don't have to just focus on the face. I can tell the cat's feeling by the ears and body and tail and eyes and vocalizations--it's much easier than with humans, who don't have those ears and tails!

lolcatwt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2013, 5:07 am

I agree about cartoons.

I was just thinking about a similar topic. I like reading books much more than watching movies because books tend to explain what's going on and what someone is feeling, while in a movie you just have to kind of guess.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 5:33 am

The emotions in cartoons are usually way too basic with little or no complex and advanced emotions and little or no nuances. It would be like I suddenly developed alexithymia if that happened. No thanks.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 8:56 am

Almost everyone in cartoons are either best friends or worst enemies with each other. There's no in between or sometimes this sometimes that. I wish I could have designated friends and enemies, rather than being unsure if people I know are my friends or my enemies.

VAGraduateStudent
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2013, 3:45 pm

I really like these Rage comics on Cheezburger.com > http://cheezburger.com/6538843136. They're about subtle situations but they pretty clearly illustrate the facial expressions and emotions. Most of them, to me anyway, seem to be things that really happen to both aspies and neurotypical people so it's good for increasing mutual understanding.