Cheating rates of the Autists

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

OlivG
Raven
Raven

11 Aug 2013, 5:47 pm

How do you think the average cheating frequency differs in the autists in comparison to the neurotypicals?

For example, it seems somewhat common for the neurotypicals to abandon the current partner for a "better option", this often occurring with little remorse. Is it any different in the autistic females on average? They tend to have "different" interests (to an extent of some psychologist saying that all Autists have male brains), but does the preference for a better genetic material even if currently engaged in a relationship with another male, remain?

Surely there are some neurological features that which affect behavior in a way that tilts the average on one side or the other regardless of the variation.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 6:00 pm

What we think on infidelity rates for anybody doesn't matter in the least. Only good statistics matter, and I'm not sure anybody even tries to track such a thing. Until then, we will have to settle for the realization that some aspies cheat and others don't.

As far as cheating among NT's, or serial monogamy go, if you're asking as a sociological matter, the less education one has, the more likely one is to engage in serial monogamy and cheating, though there are certainly exceptions. By converse, the higher up the socio-economic ladder one goes, the more likely they are to be married, not divorced, and not cheat. There is a fascinating book on just this topic:

http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Apart-Stat ... les+murray

Enda
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2013, 6:06 pm

My Aspie Girlfriend tells me about this forum that she's on and asks me to check it out because i too may also have it and of course this is the first thing i see lol .... engage paranoia 8O

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 6:14 pm

OlivG wrote:
does the preference for a better genetic material even if currently engaged in a relationship with another male, remain?

This question confuses me.

By definition, such 'superior genetic material' man (or woman) would be a cheater if they were to cheat on their partner with somebody else.
Which to my mind would mean that by definition their genetic material is probably not so hot.... after all, their genetic material would have created a dishonest person who screws about behind their partner's back.... which is not an attractive quality to me, at all.

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2013, 8:15 pm

I think that there would be little difference in stats between autists and NT's so far as cheating.
That said those on the spectrum would feel greater remorse and guilt after having cheated, or would feel more betrayal if cheated upon.
I feel too much of a sense of loyalty, love and respect to cheat on my wife, and I know she feels the same.
We are open and honest in our communication at all times, and even when I try to hold something back, my behaviour gives me away, and I usually cave in and reveal all within a few days.
Therefore I can't cheat or lie to my wife, as she would just know, and that would defeat the purpose in the first place.
Why would you want to deceive someone you care about, respect and love anyway?

I think if there were some statistical analysis of this, it would need to explore not just the behaviour, but also the motivation and emotions behind and following the behaviour, that's where I think ASD and NT differ.

Mack27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2013, 12:36 am

I think one variable we're all politely overlooking is that autists probably don't have as much opportunity to cheat.

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2013, 1:09 am

very true.
How can you be unfaithful if you can't even get a girlfriend, and if it was so much trouble to get one, you would be much less likely to risk losing it.
The only time I "cheated" on a girl, was with a very unstable girl I was with 20 or more years ago.
After an argument she said that we were on a break, but she stayed in contact and even met with me during this time.
We were together on and off for about 2 - 3 years, but would frequently break up, only to get back together again.
I was needy she was unstable, not a good combination.

I think the reality is that ASD are less likely to be motivated to cheat, therefore less likely to cheat, and if we do cheat, it will be obvious.
The same reason you won't find too many champion ASD poker players.

I would doubt that anyone with a happy marriage or relationship would have any motivation to cheat anyway, unless they were completely selfish, which would kind of make a healthy relationship unlikely in the first place.

500Chocolatepuppies
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Aug 2013, 4:06 am

Ladywoofwoof wrote:
OlivG wrote:
does the preference for a better genetic material even if currently engaged in a relationship with another male, remain?

This question confuses me.

By definition, such 'superior genetic material' man (or woman) would be a cheater if they were to cheat on their partner with somebody else.
Which to my mind would mean that by definition their genetic material is probably not so hot.... after all, their genetic material would have created a dishonest person who screws about behind their partner's back.... which is not an attractive quality to me, at all.

Ok, this is just my Aspie side coming out, I know it pisses most NT's off to no end, but cheating does not equal bad genes.

I wanted to be a genetic researcher, until I saw how much reading and continuous concentration etc etc that has to be put in, and that's not me, even though I would love to be able to do that (my brother is doing his PhD, so, yeah)as such I know a thing or two about this subject.

I don't mean to criticize you or anything, so if it does sound like that, I'm sorry.

Anyway, from a genetic standpoint, it doesn't really matter (it might be better) if a person is non-monogamous. As long as they get the genes transferred to make progeny, gene's don't care about how it was done. There are two things that I should point out: 1. there is a genotype, which is the genes of the individual and 2. the phenotype which is the combination of the genotype and the environment.

So if we assume that there is a genetic predisposition to having multiple mates, then it is only enacted once there is the right environmental factors, such as more than one mate that is deemed as being biologically fit (or as is the case these days, people just have sex for fun/the individual just wants to screw the nearest individual of the opposite sex). Now, in terms of passing genes on, an individual who has more partners is statistically more likely to have more progeny, or better (more biologically fit) progeny who will pass on the genes as opposed to an individual whom chooses to mate with only one. Although environmental factors could cause this to be less biologically fit... IDK Also as it is very difficult to look at someone and know that if you were in a relationship they would cheat on you, and as it is usually an opportunistic thing (along with many other factors, usually) it may not be present when you meet that person. So if you'd already had progeny with them, then they would have won the genetic race so to speak (depending on many factors).

To define a "bad" gene, it is one that negatively impacts on the reproductive success of that individual organism, so for instance a defect that causes lung retardation, would reduce its chances of being passed on to progeny, as the organism (assuming for this argument, human and medical procedures don't matter for this) is unlikely to either survive to reproduce, or will not be selected by a mate due to their reduced ability. Now I don't see having multiple partners (and therefore being deceptive etc) as having a DIRECT negative impact on an organism's ability to propagate. I'm not saying that I don't think that it is bad to do that, just from a genetic standpoint, it shouldn't (and quite possibly be an advantage) I would hate to have someone cheat on me, as I'd probably end up in prison, if you catch my drift.

Now honestly I haven't read anything to do on the subject of if there is any correlation between a gene or set of genes with the number of sexual partners, so I'm not going to state outright if there is one or not, I just hate the confusion people have about the causality between what people do and genetic predisposition.

So that's my spiel, phew

As for the original question: I'm not sure if there would be any difference in cheating probability between AS and NT populations. In fact, thinking about it, a number of AS wouldn't even consider it, whereas a number wouldn't see any problem with it due to possibly different reasons from NTs, yet I'm leaning more towards that it would be the same % as in the NT population because of this.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 12:35 pm

benh72 wrote:
I think that there would be little difference in stats between autists and NT's so far as cheating.
That said those on the spectrum would feel greater remorse and guilt after having cheated, or would feel more betrayal if cheated upon.
I feel too much of a sense of loyalty, love and respect to cheat on my wife, and I know she feels the same.
We are open and honest in our communication at all times, and even when I try to hold something back, my behaviour gives me away, and I usually cave in and reveal all within a few days.
Therefore I can't cheat or lie to my wife, as she would just know, and that would defeat the purpose in the first place.
Why would you want to deceive someone you care about, respect and love anyway?

I think if there were some statistical analysis of this, it would need to explore not just the behaviour, but also the motivation and emotions behind and following the behaviour, that's where I think ASD and NT differ.

Rule number something of being an aspie: We don't usually lie and when we do, we usually don't do a good job at it.