Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

GinBlossoms
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2013, 6:26 pm

I don't hate that I have to do it, but the problem is that I find it hard to focus on proper form, breathing etc. that I get distracted from the "big picture". At the same time. I really wish I can have a training session, but anything I tell my parents are too stubborn to reason with me, believe it or not. I hate being physically limited by the lack of work/money/resources i have, I hate it.

Mom just tells me that I need to keep proper form, but I tell her she is not a personal trainer, she reacts unreasonable and it is hard to reason anything with my parents. I hate them too sometimes.

wavecannon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Oct 2013, 7:27 pm

GinBlossoms wrote:
I don't hate that I have to do it, but the problem is that I find it hard to focus on proper form, breathing etc. that I get distracted from the "big picture". At the same time. I really wish I can have a training session, but anything I tell my parents are too stubborn to reason with me, believe it or not. I hate being physically limited by the lack of work/money/resources i have, I hate it.

Mom just tells me that I need to keep proper form, but I tell her she is not a personal trainer, she reacts unreasonable and it is hard to reason anything with my parents. I hate them too sometimes.

First off it's great to see you took that avatar as your own!

Secondly it sounds like you're at a certain age by that second paragraph. Do you mean working out in a gym? Running? Circuit training? It's quite a vague post if you could care to expand on how you exercise, what the "big picture" is, what the lack of :work/money/resources: is about and so on.

Most of the time, getting to breathing consistently is what you come to learn. Some have to think about doing it correctly in the beginning, but breathing properly becomes second nature. Same with form, whether you mean runner's gait, lifting weights or what. Do it slowly, think about it, speed up and see how much weight/pace you can put on with it until it becomes second nature to do it correctly.

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 12:08 am

If you hate the exercises you're doing, stop. Nothing is worth making yourself miserable for. Yes, proper form is important for most types of physical fitness, but there are plenty of activities where form is secondary to just doing it and getting a good sweat. And unless your parents are also your doctors or physical therapists, they should have no input on your fitness goals or methods. You are an adult. Do your exercises for you, not anyone else.

Palakol
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2013, 2:07 am

Proper form is necessary for effective training. It prevents injuries, allows you to utilize proper biomechanics and leverage in order to produce work, and allows you to train properly. I understand that it is quite difficult and frustrating to multi-task. An example would be learning the deadlift: you have to setup so many moving parts while trying to move a heavy weight. The key is to use a weight you can handle, so you can minimize the things you have to concentrate on and you can focus on learning proper form first. Most of the massive strength gains that we experience early on is just our bodies learning how to do the exercise, and being able to activate muscle fibers efficiently in order to move the joints. Learning a new motor pattern always seems awkward, but it's the only way to learn.

I would hate to be that guy, but listen to your mom and concentrate on executing proper form. Another person actually has a better perspective of when your form is breaking down during exercise.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Oct 2013, 11:02 am

I'd work on eliminating some of that negativity first, and then slowly and carefully change any bad eating habits, and work your way into a fitness routine without any sudden and radical changes. That way, you're most likely to get successful at your plans. But if you're thinking about how you hate certain things, that's going to take all your energy and not leave any for thinking what your body will look like in the mirror, and feel like, if you get it into the best shape you can :wink:

Charles

20 Oct 2013, 5:35 am

If you hate, you always hate and hate and... :D