Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AshTrees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2013, 7:13 am

I've heard it quite a lot that people with autism have an unusual sense of humour, but I don't understand what is meant by that.
On the Aspie Quiz it asks about it, but I don't know what would count as a conventional sense of humour, let alone an unusual one.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 8:25 am

well, nerdy jokes for one thing. Like this one:

Quote:
Two sodium atoms walked down the street when one of them said: "I've lost an electron!"
"Are you sure?" the other asked.
"Positive!"

There are more advanced ones than that, but I couldn't be bothered to look for an example. I'm not all that into it.

Another thing that will make it unusual is if it's age inappropriate. Like preferring children's jokes and kiddie language at adult age.

Also humor that you think is funny but are alone in. One example from my own life: I struggled hard with maths in school. At one point I tried to make light of it while explaining how hard it was, and I said: "It's all Greek to me, so I showed it to my Greek relative, but it was all Norwegian to them."
I alone saw the humor.

As for conventional humor, I'd say one of the best sitcoms ever, Friends, is a good example of that. It has a general appeal and high rerun value.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

AshTrees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2013, 8:27 am

Quote:
I said: "It's all Greek to me, so I showed it to my Greek relative, but it was all Norwegian to them."
I alone saw the humor.

I would have laughed. That's very witty.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 8:30 am

AshTrees wrote:
Quote:
I said: "It's all Greek to me, so I showed it to my Greek relative, but it was all Norwegian to them."
I alone saw the humor.

Thanks!

SwampOwl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2013, 8:31 am

I've been told many times that I have a weird sense of humor. Often, i'm the only one who gets my jokes. If I think of a funny comment about a situation, I usually just blurt it out, resulting in blank stares. This is probably because of my deadpan delivery of said comments. People have told me that they never know if I am joking or being serious, which sometimes makes it even funnier to me :D

I guess having an unusual sense of humor just means that you find humor in things that most other people don't.

Salkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Oct 2013, 10:49 am

SwampOwl wrote:
I've been told many times that I have a weird sense of humor. Often, i'm the only one who gets my jokes. If I think of a funny comment about a situation, I usually just blurt it out, resulting in blank stares. This is probably because of my deadpan delivery of said comments.

That sounds familiar. It's often said that people with ASD don't get sarcasm and irony, and while I do on occasion fail to get them, it's somewhat more frequent for other people to fail to get it when I'm not being serious.

tonmeister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2013, 10:49 am

I would've laughed at the Greek joke. I love a good pun. People tell me my sense of humor is pretty unusual. They either think I'm really hilarious or just don't get my jokes at all.

The stuff I find funny is also kind of unusual. The Friends example given above is a great example - I've never understood why everyone thinks shows like that are so hilarious. I've gotten into arguments with people because I don't understand why Will Ferrell is supposed to be funny. I see stuff like that and I just get confused, or sometimes angry.

TV/Movies/Books I do laugh at: The Simpsons, Futurama, old Woody Allen movies, Monty Python, Fringe (Walter Bishop), anything absurdist, etc.

AshTrees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2013, 11:45 am

I've never found Friends funny. Maybe because it's American and I'm English, so there's a culture clash?
As the OP said, I've been scarcastic before and people have thought I was being serious. It's embarrasing to have to explain that I was being funny.
I also like Futurama and Monty Python. I also like The Goon Show. Its a radio show from the 50s and 60s and inspired Monty Python. It is always on the BBC radio Iplayer.
Here is a famous clip from one of the episodes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tjHlFPTwVk
I chose this clip because somebody has put subtitles to it - I had to listen to a few episodes before my ears could "adjust" and differentiate between the voices. The animation and background laughter is a little distracting though.
Bluebottle is the character of a young boy scout who narrates himself.
Eccles was based on Goofy.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 11:58 am

I consider myself to have an unusual sense of humor. For instance, I find it funny to boss people around as a joke or yell the words "I don't yell" when I get frustrated/angry and someone calls me out on my tone of voice.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 12:33 pm

AshTrees wrote:
I've never found Friends funny. Maybe because it's American and I'm English, so there's a culture clash?

I doubt it, I'm Norwegian and think Friends (and Two and a half men) are the funniest sitcoms ever aired. I've seen every episode, and most of them several times, and neither series fail to make laugh.

AshTrees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2013, 12:49 pm

Must be me, then :)
And thinking about it I remember Friends being popular at my primary school.

Random42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2013, 1:15 pm

AshTrees wrote:
Quote:
I alone saw the humor.

I did laugh :lol:

AQ: 39
Aspie-quiz AS:154 NT:50
RAADS-R: 194
EQ:15 SQ:114

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 1:17 pm

I've never heard of aspie humor, but it reminds me of Jewish humor in its quirkiness. An example: Herschel was marooned on a deserted island. Two years later the rescuers came ashore for him. One of the rescuers sees two huts with stars of David on them. The rescuer points at the first hut and asks Herschel, "What is that?" Herschel replies, "That's my synagogue". The rescuer then points at the other hut with a star of David and says, "Then what is that one?" Herschel replies back, "That's the synagogue I refuse to attend".

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 1:37 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
well, nerdy jokes for one thing. Like this one:
Quote:
Two sodium atoms walked down the street when one of them said: "I've lost an electron!"
"Are you sure?" the other asked.
"Positive!"

Made me laugh lolololol snort.

Quote:
Also humor that you think is funny but are alone in. One example from my own life: I struggled hard with maths in school. At one point I tried to make light of it while explaining how hard it was, and I said: "It's all Greek to me, so I showed it to my Greek relative, but it was all Norwegian to them."
I alone saw the humor.

That is also funny!

i have an odd sense of humour myself but it can be quite self-deprecating. Most cannot cope with that as they seem to be highly sensitive in regards to perceived flaws or faults.

Ie I once sent someone the wrong way up the motorway for 30 or so miles before everyone realised we had not yet reached our destination because I was holding the map upside down whilst I was reading it.

Now some people got upset because they were not happy about taking a detour
Others that I tell the story to think I should be horrified by my mistake.
I find it bloomin' hilarious lol

Then again my mummy always said I had a warped sense of humour lol

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 3:41 pm

I've never heard of aspie humor, but it reminds me of Jewish humor in its quirkiness. An example: Herschel was marooned on a deserted island. Two years later the rescuers came ashore for him. One of the rescuers sees two huts with stars of David on them. The rescuer points at the first hut and asks Herschel, "What is that?" Herschel replies, "That's my synagogue". The rescuer then points at the other hut with a star of David and says, "Then what is that one?" Herschel replies back, "That's the synagogue I refuse to attend".

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 5:12 pm

I laughed at all the jokes on this thread but specially the Jewish one. I always suspected I was secretly Jewish.

Here's one:

Q: What do you call and Autism Convention?
A: A contradiction in terms.

--

I am very sarcastic, in an ironic kind of way.