Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Jerricko
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2013, 7:53 am

I bought my first guitar yesterday: Peavey Raptor plus with an Orange Crush amp. For my first song, I'm trying to learn Sweet child of mine; then I plan to learn the Mortal Kombat theme.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 8:33 am

Jerricko wrote:
I bought my first guitar yesterday: Peavey Raptor plus with an Orange Crush amp. For my first song, I'm trying to learn Sweet child of mine; then I plan to learn the Mortal Kombat theme.

Excellent choice for your first setup. Good luck!

I bought a 60th Anniversary American Standard Strat as a gift but ended up playing it myself. It's too nice to gig with, so I bought a MIM tele and hot-rodded it with some Duncans. Got a little 15-watt Marshall to practice with, but pretty much only play electric guitar for studio work.

Besides that, I bought a G&L 5-string bass that I play through a new Peavey TNT. There's just no better feeling than buying new gear. After you cut your teeth on that raptor, it won't be long before you're checking out a fat Strat or a clone, maybe even a Gibson, and wondering how that would sound through a Mesa rectifier...

The Raptor is an all-around versatile little axe. It'll keep you plenty busy before you outgrow it.

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 8:42 am

YEAH!! !

Peavey Raptor - good choice.

Please remember, Sweet Child O'Mine is tuned down half a step.

Rock on :D

notk8
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2013, 9:48 am

Well done on getting a guitar. I'd like to offer a suggestion - for the first couple of weeks, practice for no more than 5 minutes at a time, but do it 4 - 5 times a day if you can. The reason - fingers can get very sore for a start. Keeping sessions short lets the skin on your fingers toughen up without pain, and you will soon be able to play for longer at a time. I have been a guitarist for over 40 years, and this has helped with all of the people I have taught.

Jerricko
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2013, 10:46 am

I've played a bit before on an acoustic; the electric is easier to play because it's softer but my fingers still get tenderized a bit. I also have to get use to playing with a pick; the pick is harder for me to play the right chord but the sound is clearer than playing with my fingers :D I was lucky as it was the last raptor the shop had.

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 11:06 am

Let's be honest: if you tell people you've bought a Raptor, do they automatically think of a guitar? 8O

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 11:57 am

So, you bought your first electric guitar? Good start.

Will you ever consider trying to find a bassist and a drummer
from your neighbourhood (or equivalent) to get started on a band/combo?

Jerricko
Raven
Raven

03 Nov 2013, 11:13 am

Maybe

The learning goes well, but there are like 5 unique measures in the part I'm learning (The notes are very repetitive is what I'm saying). Interesting note: the song was spawned from a guitar exercise Slash made. I believe it as this song is the most difficult I've learned yet, though it's the longest but allows for the most repetition.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 3:54 pm

There's a lot of "stuff" in that song. On the rare occasion I have to play "Sweet Child," I just kinda hang on and pray. I play keyboards, which makes things interesting when the original song doesn't have a keyboard part. But then again, that just makes it more fun!

And not a bad song to learn on guitar when you're just starting out. It's one of those that sounds really hard but really isn't all that difficult. Slash has that rare ability to play very simple, scalar lead lines, but do it with so much expression and soul it comes across as being way more difficult than it really is. A guitarist playing MUSIC...what a concept...

Personally, I think there are easier tunes to learn. I'd have picked something like "Sharp Dressed Man," or Led Zepp "Kashmir."

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 11:44 pm

I have this shredder brand electric guitar, it's orange. My amp is a meteoro one.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Jerricko
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2013, 11:32 am

AngelRho wrote:
There's a lot of "stuff" in that song. On the rare occasion I have to play "Sweet Child," I just kinda hang on and pray. I play keyboards, which makes things interesting when the original song doesn't have a keyboard part. But then again, that just makes it more fun!

And not a bad song to learn on guitar when you're just starting out. It's one of those that sounds really hard but really isn't all that difficult. Slash has that rare ability to play very simple, scalar lead lines, but do it with so much expression and soul it comes across as being way more difficult than it really is. A guitarist playing MUSIC...what a concept...

Personally, I think there are easier tunes to learn. I'd have picked something like "Sharp Dressed Man," or Led Zepp "Kashmir."

I've only been learning the intro, but there are 4 notes in every second measure that throws me off. When I listen to the song, I only hear 2 of those high notes. And I think the most difficult part of the song (the intro anyway) is actually playing it at the correct tempo because of the constant thread changes.

I'm also planning of learning piano and/or violin later in life.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 6:04 pm

Cool, just be careful you don't get http://theguitarbuzz.com/guitars/guitar-acquisition-syndrome like I did, I have far too many, stared off with a Hondo, and worked my way up to a Honeyburst Gibson Les Paul.

Although I have a handbuilt valve amp, I generally use one of these:- LINK TO BOSS ME 50
That way I can plug headphones directly into it and so dont need am amp so I can play loud late at night without anybody hearing how rubbish I am.

Its a lot more encouraging when you can create a good sound as a beginner even by plucking a single string which you can with effects, especially if you like something a bit Heavy.

Its great to be able to play Tony Iommi power cords that sound just like your Black Sabbath cds,

Iam sure you know about Tabs, I go to :- LINK TO ULTIMATE GUITAR.Com Guns N Roses tab