OKAY money for a sixteen year old Aspie?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AspergersGamer
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2007, 3:14 pm

Anyone know any good jobs for an Aspie? Sixteen age being in mind, anyone?

Freawaru
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2007, 3:52 pm

It depends on you really and what you feel comfortable doing... When I was looking for a summer job there were two choices where I lived: shop jobs and restaurant jobs. I was so bad at the restaurant side of things that I got sacked in a week, and I was just a kitchen flunky XD so I can't advise you there. As for the shop... I survived a whole summer at WH Smith but wouldn't recommend it or other big chain store types unless you are socially inclined and can deal pleasantly with nasty customers. I also worked in the shop at a local tourist attraction - DEFINITELY A NO-GO if you don't like small children! I quit that one myself after a month, couldn't take the screamers and the awful songs played nonstop over the intercom.

An independent bookshop or something similar might be better: a business without too much to-and-fro. Trouble is, jobs don't come up so often for places like that, simply because they get less business!

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2007, 4:24 pm

GameStop! A Hobbyist Store! or lastly and sadly, the movie theater.

I HIGHLY stress for stressful results staying AWAY from the food service in all its forms.

Been there. Watched others there. Dead End man!

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

Space
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2007, 8:25 pm

fast food

Aspiegirl89
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2007, 1:22 pm

I started lifeguarding at Age 16 (am now almost 18 )...it's very rewarding, you get to enjoy hours in the sun with little kids around, and you get to practice as much inservice as you want because little kids are always willing to "drown" for you.

When the real emergency comes along you are well versed in procedure, and are ready to act.

It's very rewarding and most companies pay $10-$12 per hour. PER HOUR.

I love my job and wouldn't trade it for the world!!

Last edited by Aspiegirl89 on 23 Mar 2007, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Losonti
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Mar 2007, 9:06 am

Try to get a job at a call center. It's very easy and usually pays well enough. The one I work at lets us surf the net, drink soda, and talk as much as we want, so I'm a hell of a lot happier here than I was at when I worked at a movie theater.

The stories I could tell you guys about that place. :twisted:

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 11:05 am

Working at a pool can be nice. I used to work as a swim instructor, at a local park district pool. It was actually easier and more fun than I imagined it to be. Somehow, I knew how to talk to kids on their level without talking down to them. And seeing that someone learns and applies what you taught them is very flattering. As what age group to work with, I think it's between ages 5 and 9. At that age, they're old enough understand verbal directions, yet still too young to start challenging authority.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 7:22 pm

beaker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Mar 2007, 9:52 pm

Small machine shops sometimes hire kids to do basic jobs like cleaning machines, cleaning floors, assisting machinists etc.

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Mar 2007, 1:49 pm

Only job I ever felt comfortable in was working in warehouses.. The smaller the better. There isnt too many people to deal with and the delivery drivers come, fill/empty their lorry, get a signature and go. It helps build your physical strength too having to carry heavy boxes all the time which is a bonus. It also suited my natural talent for maths with all the stock checking and preparing deliveries.

In a smaller warehouse there is sometimes nothing to do so you can just sit back and relax. I was underpaid me thinks!

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2007, 2:35 pm

beaker wrote:
Small machine shops sometimes hire kids to do basic jobs like cleaning machines, cleaning floors, assisting machinists etc.

I did something similar for a little resteraunt. It was a great job - I was left alone to clean (the place didn't open until evening).

lostartist

29 Mar 2007, 10:01 am

I LOL @ that picture, Space. :)

the-over-analyzed
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2007, 8:03 pm

I used to really enjoy working in restaurants/snackbars/cafeterias. Mostly back in the kitchen is the best place. There is a very calming routine or pattern to the way things work. All the people come in to eat every day at the same time. Every day I would peel potatoes at the same time. Every day at the same time I would wash the dishes. And then sweep and mop the floor. Often you will get a good meal (either for no money or discounted). Good luck.

HolidayonIce
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Apr 2007, 9:04 pm

Try everything suggested! If you don't get on, try something else. You're 16 and can job hop with impunity, so explore. Job hopping past age 22 or so just makes employers nervous, but it's accepted for teens to explore the job market by trying out various jobs hands-on.

DingoDv
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2007, 9:28 am

From my somewhat small knowledge of Stafford I'd say there are plenty of places to get a job.
If it was me I would stay away from repetitive dull jobs though ie the big Tesco;

I have enjoyed working in a kitchen beofre - can get a little stressful sometimes though - maybe that 'Soup Kitchen' place.
Small independants are nicer to work for, but are less able to give you casual time off, if you like fishing there is that fishing shop opposite the Guildhall.
If you like outdoor stuff try Stafford Outdoor Leisure on Mill Street.
As mentioned previously, Lifeguarding is a good job, they usually don't mind slightly more casual hours and you get something to put on your CV.

Now, heres to hoping your location on your name is correct :) - otherwise most of that was useless.

Kcihtred2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Apr 2007, 12:21 pm

i think the grocery business is great! i have almost 2 years of working there! gamestop was good, but not enough hours for me (thats why i worked both gamestop and krogers for about 5 months!)