Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Hollie1996
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2013, 2:47 am

I will just like to write about how a laptop can be used to communicate when you are having a meltdown. When I am having a meltdown I am not in control of what I say or do I am basically arm flapping shouting and screaming. I had one about 20 minutes ago. I was upset because my mum said that my boyfriend couldn't come to the movies with us. I didn't know when I was going to see him again because we are having long school holidays here in Australia and we don't really see each other much on the holidays. My boyfriend doesn't really like speaking on the phone. He doesn't have Facebook because he cant trust it.

I was so angry and upset that I couldn't talk to my mum about it. Therefore I got up a word document and typed out my feelings on my laptop. I unplugged my laptop and took it out so my mum could see it. She read it and came into my room and spoke to me quietly and nicely. After that I felt a lot better.

I believe using a laptop to communicate can be helpful. Next time you are having a meltdown. I have heard of a girl in Canada that has autism and cant communicate verbally but can use a laptop to communicate.

Foxxtale
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2013, 3:48 am

actually, I do this a lot. I often have difficulties speaking what is on my mind. Even during face to face interactions, there are times I will pull out my phone and type a message instead of speaking it simply because I can be much more precise in text than I have ever been in talking. During meltdowns, this is often the only way I can communicate because I go mute. It is like my brain-to-mouth interface just decides to stop working altogether.

In addition to being easier to communicate, typing out things like your thoughts or feelings quite often helps you understand them yourself. Something about dumping them out into a visual format to be able to sift through them makes understanding thoughts and emotions a lot easier... for me, at least.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 4:11 am

I think the same can be said of using an internet connection to pursue the self-valuation everyone needs. I get pretty down on myself and my life's conundrums when I don't spend a few hours each day or week helping others out on here - I think working though the finer points of others' troubles is the primary vehicle through which I've been solving my own. Information theory includes a minimum level of complexity as a threshold of intelligibility. When I'm perplexed by my life, I sift though congruent situations that have escalated farther.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 9:12 am

Hollie, thanks for sharing this great idea!

Hollie1996
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2013, 12:35 am

Thanks for your kind comments. :)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 2:34 am

It is is a good way to to communicate when you are non verbal

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/2 ... 92008.html
https://twitter.com/CarlysVoice

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 1:18 pm

laptops have been used as AAC devices for many years, and am one of those who uses them for communication,as well as a PDA/typer which is easier to use for quick typing.

am both non verbal and have a limited vocab when verbal and besides low fi AAC such as PECS and makaton,used to use laptops for AAC heavily however that laptop doesnt boot up anymore and the newer laptop is a awful windows eight based one and am yet to find any good programs that work with it,unable to install linux because of that secure boot/EFI crap from microsoft so hoping to get someone techy to install it as the operating system has a lot more promise in AAC including eye tracking software.

joel smith made what can only be called the best AAC program of all time some years back called jspeak but it never got updated to the latest .NET run time environment so it was lost with windows vista.