Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 5:15 pm

Well, I have a number of irritating movements that I don't quite understand. One of them from when I was younger that was really irritating was at many times I had the intense urge to curl my bottom lip in a strange way. I had that one for years, and then it stopped and came back in intervals. I still have that one right now. For the past few years, I now have one in which my eyes widen and return to normal in a non rhythmic way, and other people often notice that one, and it's scary and a little bit funny, but I hate it. Another one that I had maybe a year ago was one where I'd stretch the corners of my mouth downward all strangely. A lot of times, I have to blink my eyelids A LOT, not just a regular blink, but a tight blink.

All of these are very intense urges that I CAN stop, but it's hard to, like a sneeze or cough. I can feel the urge there, and it's irritating.

If I really had tourettes, do you think that my family and I would know about it by now, or is it a little bit common to be thinking about it just now at 13?

I didn't know what tourettes was before. I thought that it was something completely uncontrollable, but then I read that others describe the urge the same way that I do.

Is this true? Is the way I'm describing it actually like tourettes? What do you think that I should do?

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

echophenom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jan 2014, 7:09 pm

I didn't start having tics until my early 20s. I didn't start vocalizing them until I was in my 30s. Hence why I was diagnosed as an adult.

Some people have control. Other people don't. And it probably also depends on the tic. (Personally, I only rarely have urges. But if I make myself "rigid", I can hold myself back.)

You'd probably be diagnosed with a chronic tic disorder, assuming you don't have any phonic tics. But to me, this is a rather arbitrary distinction.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 7:38 pm

serenaserenaserena wrote:
Do you think this is Tourettes Syndrome?

We don't know.

None of here seem to be an appropriately-trained, experienced and licensed mental-health professional.

Perhaps such a professional should be consulted instead?

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 6:43 am

I've a Tic disorder and would qualify for a TS diagnosis. But the next expert for TS (who is also trained in autism and I trust) is a bit far away, so I never got diagnosed officially. But there could also be other reasons for "strange movements" like routines, OCD, epilepsy and so on...