Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 9:37 am

I typically use Opera, and for the things that won't work on Opera which happens here and there I like to use google chrome, or I'd even use firefox but I feel like that takes up a lot of space. Anyways I don't use internet explorer and I hate it anyways, it just takes up memory and crap I assume. The problem is I can't find any way to delete it. One of my brothers friends mentioned some program you can buy with a delete feature that will allow you to delete internet explorer, but I can't remember what it was.

So yeah any ideas on how to get that off my computer? Or should I just invest in a non-windows computer when I have the funds?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 9:52 am

You can remove it as a Windows component under Control Panel > Programs and Features, but a number of programs render things like their help windows using it, and the preferences window where you can take it out of your Windows install is not very intuitive. The next time you're prompted, remember to allow Opera or Firefox to set itself as the system default browser, that should stop you seeing IE most days, although occasionally I've had it autorun simply because Microsoft is so stubborn.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 10:53 am

I never use IE (or only very rarely), but I suggest you leave IE on your computer. It is sometimes used by third party software to display information, so removing it (if that is even possible) may cause strange faults with other software or even system crashes.

One of the software products I developed makes use of the rendering engine of IE to display information in a formatted tabular display - you wouldn't know it was using some of the core technology of IE though. On a technical note, Microsoft exposes an interface that allows developers such as me to show a window and to populate it using a programatically generated HTML page on the local computer. As already mentioned, some developers may use this functionality to generate custom interactive help windows.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Jan 2014, 12:41 pm

Things like the desktop shortcut and menu items can be removed easily enough but as others have said, it will be tricky to fully remove it and other things would break even if you succeeded.
But, at least with all visible signs of it gone and another browser (any other browser! :lol: ) made the the default, you have a workable and safe alternative that looks and behaves as if IE had been removed.
Watch out for Windows updates sneaking it back in as the default, though - most browsers will ask, if they're not already the default, so a sneaky change back would be spotted as you started Opera.

cberg wrote:
occasionally I've had it autorun simply because Microsoft is so stubborn.
And this^
Whether it's a deliberate ploy to force IE back or shabby programming that ignores their own standards - it's definitely annoying.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 12:59 pm

Isn't the downloading of windows' automatic updates for example done via a hidden IE process in the background?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 1:33 pm

So even if I could get rid of it, then it could mess up other things. I suppose in that case I'll just leave it.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 4:08 pm

I much prefer Firefox, but there are rare occasions when Explorer is useful simply because as noted, certain other apps tend to default to it.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 8:07 pm

i think as a rule its a good idea to have a good few browsers, including IE.

If, by a feat of insane inconvenience and misfortune your other browsers develop faults or malware infections that require re-installation you may need IE later on to redownload the necessary installation files.

Also as a rule I think its a bad idea to mess around with the default software on Windows in this manner.

My deviant art profile

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 8:34 am

For all practical purposes, you can't uninstall IE.

Easiest thing to do is make another browser your default and remove the shortcuts so nobody is easily inclined to open the program.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 9:32 pm

i suppose if you hate MS sotware so much switch to Linux or Ubuntu? :?

My deviant art profile

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Jan 2014, 8:13 am

^ It's only a browser - there are alternative (and better) browsers available for Windows, and ignoring one browser while using another has to be easier than learning a whole new OS.

daar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2014, 4:21 pm

I would recommend to keep it, as it can be useful sometimes.

This thread reminds me of back in high school when on the computers in the computer lab people would rename the Internet Explorer icon to Internet Imploder and Entrepot Exploder.

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2014, 5:29 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I never use IE (or only very rarely), but I suggest you leave IE on your computer. It is sometimes used by third party software to display information, so removing it (if that is even possible) may cause strange faults with other software or even system crashes.

One of the software products I developed makes use of the rendering engine of IE to display information in a formatted tabular display - you wouldn't know it was using some of the core technology of IE though. On a technical note, Microsoft exposes an interface that allows developers such as me to show a window and to populate it using a programatically generated HTML page on the local computer. As already mentioned, some developers may use this functionality to generate custom interactive help windows.

+1

I even had to install IE8 to my Linux distro to get Picasa to work correctly.

Quote:
But there is a fix for the Picasa 3.9 sign in bug! The "trick" is simply to install Internet Explorer 8 using Winetricks, which is required because Picasa 3.9 uses Google OAuth. Without IE8, the login window stays blank.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 3:51 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
So even if I could get rid of it, then it could mess up other things. I suppose in that case I'll just leave it.

A very wise decision. IE is an integral part of the operating system, not just some added on application.

ruveyn

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 4:13 am

Use it once, then leave it alone. The one time you need to use it, being to download a different browser.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 4:27 pm

As a replacement, you might want to give Qupzilla a try. It's a WebKit browser that uses the Qt Toolkit, so it doesn't have that nasty Chrome/Chromium UI, and isn't as CPU intensive as Google products, or current iterations of Firefox.