Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ryvandur
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2014, 4:25 pm

I'm sick of not fitting in, not belonging to anything. I'm tired of seeing everyone else all happy. I don't have anything in common with anyone. Everyone else seems to share something they like, whether it's a TV show, or a book, or just a hobby. But I don't have any way of connecting with anyone. I hate it. I've tried to connect with other people in whatever ways I can, but it just doesn't work. I try to broaden my horizons, get into other interests and hobbies that other people might like, but I just can't get myself into them the way other people do. Maybe I'm just not meant to be around other people. I'm not even sure if I should be posting this because who would care?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 4:30 pm

I care.

There's not much I can offer in the way of advice though.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 4:39 pm

I've never been able to connect over hobbies, either. A TV show is just a TV show... maybe if we discussed theories and interpretations it would be interesting.

dc2610
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Feb 2014, 5:11 pm

I feel the same way you do. I've given up. I've been dealing with this for too long. I'm worn down, disgusted and discouraged. I only talk to people when I absolutely have to.

I don't even talk to people at church anymore.

I do read books to help me understand AS and body language. That's been a real eye opener for me. Mostly I stay by myself and keep myself busy with my special interest.

Thank God for this forum where I've found people I can relate to.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 5:15 pm

dc2610 wrote:

+1

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 5:22 pm

babybird wrote:
dc2610 wrote:

+1

+1
<hugs>

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 5:29 pm

salamandaqwerty wrote:
babybird wrote:
dc2610 wrote:

+1

+1
<hugs>

+1 again

Fisplen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 5:30 pm

Yes, I care, I wish there were advice I could give You, but the only thing I could really say would try to join some clubs of common interests in Your area, thats the best thing for it.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 5:39 pm

I can definitely relate.

The whole city of Seattle is caught up in the Seahawks winning the Super Bowl. There were parties everywhere in the streets. I partook in none of them. There'll be a parade through the city in two days. I won't be there. I watched the game by myself. That's my lot in life. Perpetually alone.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 6:00 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
The whole city of Seattle is caught up in the Seahawks winning the Super Bowl.

I thought the Seahawks were a hockey team, lol.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 6:19 pm

Ryvandur wrote:
I'm just not meant to be around other people.

That's the conclusion I came to about meself years ago. I've met one or two weirdos and misfits like me that I got along with, but even those were long ago.

We care, because we know exactly how you feel, that's why we're all here. :wink:

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 6:23 pm

I've felt the same way you do at various points in recent times. Attempts at establishing connections with other people all seem to fail. Even when I visit crowds that share my interests, I can't seem to forge any lasting relationships with anyone. It quite left me baffled and mystified, and I grew frustrated at my own failure in this department, while most of my age peers seemed to do much better with this. At this point, I have chosen to mostly focus on making myself happy, and doing that solo. Trying not to view that as a bad thing. So human beings are supposedly social beings, if that doesn't go for me I might as well make the most of my loner status. Trying to find strength in the solitary road, looking on the bright side of it. I look at it as a type of indepence.

I hope you can make a first step toward seeing it that way, too. There's nothing shameful or weird about being more of a loner type, or not being someone who meshes that well with the people around him. Some of the most interesting people in history were loners.
And maybe this is just a temporary thing. I know of myself that a major barrier in trying to establish friendships in the past 6 years or so, was due to my severe lack of self esteem and having a generally negative image of myself. Growing a bit more confident, and starting to like myself some more again, also affects how I approach other people, makes me a bit more approachable, and enables me to better handle rejections.

Good luck.

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 7:34 pm

I also care, and can relate.

JCJC777
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2014, 10:08 am

I care. and I relate to what you're saying. I suggest volunteer in some activity that does good; a soup kitchen, a park-cleaning team etc.. I find you can arrive just on time, duck out of sight at coffee break, leave straight at the end; i.e. not have to talk to anyone - but you still feel part of it quite a lot

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 11:48 am

I know that it is really tough when you always feel like the odd one out, and that everyone else seems to be getting along with each other and you're not.

The thing that I have learned is that although connecting with people does seem somewhat impossible to do, it doesn't mean that people don't like me.

Sometimes in life you just have to take advantage of what you can see that is good and try not to focus too much on the bad.

The fact is, is that life is a piece of s**t, but some days you can come up smelling like roses.

(I can't believe I've just said that. Oh well I won't delete it) :lol:

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 3:04 pm

Ryvandur wrote:
I'm sick of not fitting in, not belonging to anything. I'm tired of seeing everyone else all happy. I don't have anything in common with anyone. Everyone else seems to share something they like, whether it's a TV show, or a book, or just a hobby. But I don't have any way of connecting with anyone. I hate it. I've tried to connect with other people in whatever ways I can, but it just doesn't work. I try to broaden my horizons, get into other interests and hobbies that other people might like, but I just can't get myself into them the way other people do. Maybe I'm just not meant to be around other people. I'm not even sure if I should be posting this because who would care?

I can totally relate to how you feel though I am in a special needs group and often times I wonder if I belong there more than I think and that I shouldn't even try to be social with other people that are not in my special-needs group because even with the kids I can somewhat relate to their still nts (or if not NT than non-developmentally disabled) and most of them have either let me down isolated bullied or tortured me or that I had no interest in them.

It's like I'm from a different culture or planet or something as the name of the site implies. I feel like if I stay with my special-needs group I'll be happy and I never have to worry about all that stuff. I know people say it gets better but I'm starting to think that that's only for nts.