Average (100 IQ) 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
Below-Average (80-99 IQ) 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Borderline Retardation (70-80 IQ) 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 301

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 1:13 pm

Who all here has an IQ in the gifted or genius range? If so, what are your experiences a gifted Aspie, if you are an Aspie?

Who all here was in a gifted class in their school? If so, what are/were your experiences there?

My IQ is 130+. I was in the gifted class at school, and I didn't enjoy it. It was filled with NT gifted kids who weren't just smart but very street smart. Half of that class, it seems, has since done drugs and other criminal behavior and are no where near the level of success the gifted class supposedly prepares them for. Yet, I know people who were not in the gifted program who are now studying computer science, chemistry, pre-med, etc. at college. Maybe they were smart enough to be in the class but decided not to, or maybe they were simply above-average and studied a lot. I wish I had some social skills classes for my possible Asperger's during high school, if my high school had offered them, but I'm not so sure my "mainstreaming" in an NT gifted class was such a good idea. And of course by providing the example people in the class turning out bad I am also implying that gifted classes may not be so helpful and may not bring future success.

Vegasadelphia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2007, 1:37 pm

I was 142 when tested, and my sister was a 141. The only thing my sister doesn't know is that I tested higher :) When she likes to rub in how wonderful her life is (thousands of dollars in the bank, great job, marriage, etc) I just think of that number and it makes me feel better.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 1:45 pm

I think I might be a genious. It's certainly a preferrable alternative to my current theory as to why I feel like I'm surronded by morons. (my current theorey is that I really am surronded by morons and that I have an average IQ and almost everyone else has a sub room temperature IQ)

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 1:46 pm

High end of gifted.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 1:51 pm

Web IQ tests are worthless. I did one while intentionally marking all the wrong answers and I still got a 120+.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 1:55 pm

Mine was tested by a shrink.

Alaric
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Feb 2007, 2:05 pm

When I went through the neuropsychological test battery last September, the psychologist had the assistant who was actually testing me add extra tests because I was going through the ones they had so fast. She told me then, even before scoring the results, that I had the highest cognitive scores she had ever seen in thirty years of neuropsychological testing.

When I got the test results back in October, she told me that most of the cognitive scores had to be regarded as minimums. They couldn't accurately measure me, because I'd pegged the tests -- I was off the top of the scale. She repeatedly used the phrase "unbelievably brilliant".

One of the reasons I'd wanted to get tested was to see if I really did have AS, which I'd come to strongly suspect over the last few years. The other reason was I was concerned that my memory wasn't functioning right, wasn't working as I had come to expect it to work. I was forgetting things I knew I should remember, and unable to retrieve information I knew I knew.

The test scores did show a memory hole. But it was only a relative hole, compared to the other scores; I was "merely" in the average-to-high range for males of my age and educational background.

And oh hell, yeah, was it EVER positive for Asperger's.

Alaric

12 Feb 2007, 2:07 pm

ahayes wrote:
I think I might be a genious. It's certainly a preferrable alternative to my current theory as to why I feel like I'm surronded by morons. (my current theorey is that I really am surronded by morons and that I have an average IQ and almost everyone else has a sub room temperature IQ)

Remember, by definition half the population has a below-average IQ.

(Well, yeah, OK, I know that's technically an oversimplification. The bell curve is neither smooth, nor symmetrical, nor identical for males and females. But you know what I mean, right...?)

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 2:13 pm

I dunno, way up there.

- Emerson

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2007, 8:38 pm

Somewhere in the 130s, according to the last time I got tested. Because I have an IEP, practically every school department I have been to has required that I be tested by their shrinks. I don't know why they do that, but they do.

But in the end, it's only a number that tells us nothing about how well the person will survive in real life, be able to understand his peers, be understood by his peers, so on...

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 9:36 pm

I usually score in the 130s. The highest was something like 145 and the lowest was 109. My IQ can't make up its mind.

Three years!

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 10:43 pm

I have no idea. However, if we assume that IQ and SAT score have a good correlation, or IQ and ACT score for that matter, I end up being a genius by your scale, assuming a standard deviation of about 15 points. I do not remember my formal IQ test, I haven't taken an IQ test in quite some time, and I really don't care to take one. I know I am smarter than most people I meet, and I know that I am awesome, all else takes care of itself.

Prescott
Raven
Raven

12 Feb 2007, 11:04 pm

Repeatedly tested from grades 6-10 due to chronic "underachieving". The school brought people in, I was sent to shrinks, you name it. Ranged from 142-148.

But, in reality, it doesn't mean that much. I'm just better at taking meaningless tests than most. It's what you do in the real world with the brainpower you have that matters. I could have done a hell of a lot more with what I have throughout long stretches of my life, but didn't/couldn't due to other circumstances.

Alaric

12 Feb 2007, 11:17 pm

aleclair wrote:
Somewhere in the 130s, according to the last time I got tested. Because I have an IEP, practically every school department I have been to has required that I be tested by their shrinks. I don't know why they do that, but they do.

But in the end, it's only a number that tells us nothing about how well the person will survive in real life, be able to understand his peers, be understood by his peers, so on...

Right. Ultimately, what IQ tests measure is ... the ability to do IQ tests. (Full neuropsychological testing covers a lot more, by the way.)

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 1:29 am

I'm unfortunately not gifted. The highest IQ I got was 118, but that was on the Tickle test which I highly doubt is accurate. I'm more likely in the average range.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 1:45 am

ghostgurl wrote:
I'm unfortunately not gifted. The highest IQ I got was 118, but that was on the Tickle test which I highly doubt is accurate. I'm more likely in the average range.

I'm pretty sure the test results come from a random number generator.