Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

leeorzinn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Feb 2014, 12:01 pm

I want to have friends, maybe even a girlfriend.

I have had a hard time all my life making friends. One reason is that I'm nervous meeting new people. I once had a girl who used me for a shopping spree and a coworker who rejected me. They weren't nice to me. Another reason is that I have a hard time expressing myself.

I have a learning disability, including dyslexia, but I don't know much more than that.

I live Bronx, NY and I want to have new friends either in New York City or online. Please help!

Billw1628
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Feb 2014, 12:55 pm

A traumatic experience like that is always hard to recover from. I have a lot more success in building online friends and these friendships carry on to my real life when I do meet them in person. My tip to you is- If you are not sure of a person, either bring someone to meet with him/her, or you can see if he/she knows somebody that you know pretty well. If neither works, I would say, identify events that not much can probably go wrong that you can attend to.

For me, I am an occupational therapist by trade. However, I am now getting involved in the autism community more. My rule of thumb of these meetings is- Me and the other person must build a decent rapport online first, or that person must mention somebody I know pretty well if that person wants to meet up with me. Then, we will arrange a meet up together during the time we go to an event together. I used to be really nervous... but now I just be myself. In fact, the people I meet (mostly girls), are really interested to know me... seeing me as a competent colleague and giving them a thing or two more that they wouldn't have learned from their textbooks... or in the autism community sense, it will be a working partner for what they are doing (since I do have my license even though I am autistic).

Friends are like treasures. You might not know how valuable they can be until you have some trouble or when you have lost them for whatever reason.

leeorzinn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Feb 2014, 11:14 am

Billw1628 wrote:
A traumatic experience like that is always hard to recover from. I have a lot more success in building online friends and these friendships carry on to my real life when I do meet them in person. My tip to you is- If you are not sure of a person, either bring someone to meet with him/her, or you can see if he/she knows somebody that you know pretty well. If neither works, I would say, identify events that not much can probably go wrong that you can attend to.

For me, I am an occupational therapist by trade. However, I am now getting involved in the autism community more. My rule of thumb of these meetings is- Me and the other person must build a decent rapport online first, or that person must mention somebody I know pretty well if that person wants to meet up with me. Then, we will arrange a meet up together during the time we go to an event together. I used to be really nervous... but now I just be myself. In fact, the people I meet (mostly girls), are really interested to know me... seeing me as a competent colleague and giving them a thing or two more that they wouldn't have learned from their textbooks... or in the autism community sense, it will be a working partner for what they are doing (since I do have my license even though I am autistic).

Bill,

I live in the Bronx, which is a county in New York. Even though there are a million people in the city, I can't meet anyone. I struggle with social skills like answering questions. However, one thing you should know about me is that I am very loyal.

I like your idea of making friends online first. Would you tell me more about yourself? That would help me learn how to make friends online.

Lee-Or

leeorzinn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Feb 2014, 5:33 pm

Billw1628 wrote:

Bill,

I live in the Bronx, which is a county in New York. Even though there are a million people in the city, I can't meet anyone. I struggle with social skills like answering questions. However, one thing you should know about me is that I am very loyal.

I like your idea of making friends online first. Would you tell me more about yourself? That would help me learn how to make friends online.

Lee-Or