Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 5:57 pm

What stims do your kids do?

Have they changed over time?

My son used to spin everything, particularly his entire body and swing anything on a string (often at the same time). Frankly, it drove me a little crazy because the diameter often ended up being really large and hit things or people. It was very hard to control.

He's recently dramatically decreased his spinning/swinging, and seems to have replaced it with hand flapping. He flaps a lot. I'm so happy because this is SO much less disruptive than he previous behaviors which seemed to have largely disappeared.

I was a spinner and rocker myself as a kid. Now I only rock in private, as it's embarrassing (unless I'm really really worked up and cannot leave).

I wish the less distracting stims were just more socially acceptable. :(

HamtaroCappy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2014, 9:35 pm

While I don't have kids, I myself hand flap and occasionally rock back and forth.

It's pretty much always been that way, though, for some reason.

Stormymomma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Mar 2014, 2:45 pm

My son, who is 2 and 1/2, likes to rock back and forth on his rocking chair, run back and forth while staring at the wall (side glancing), spins around until he gets dizzy and stands with his head on the ground (putting pressure on his head).. likes to step on things (to get sensations with his feet). There are probably other things I can't think of right now. He's definitely a sensation seeker. It comes and goes. He generally likes to rock.

EmileMulder
Toucan
Toucan

06 Mar 2014, 5:52 pm

Neurotypical here, but I love to fidget with items, twirl pens, and play with all the tactile autism toys. I also run my hands through my hair, shake my legs and bite my nails on occasion.

I've got a good friend, also NT, who sits and rocks back and forth when anxious. My NT wife doesn't like to sleep unless she's got a heavy blanket on (even if it's hot).

I'm just throwing that out there because I think these sorts of things are actually somewhat universal. I think they may stand out more for people on the spectrum, because us NTs quickly learn to hide or stop the really odd (or socially stigmatizing) stims , and to shape the sort of odd stims into subtle and socially acceptable forms. When it comes down to it, they're all variations on self-stimulation and self-soothing.

MMJMOM
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 7:11 am

my DS has always been a jumper. When he is happy or excited you can find him bouncing high in the air! Recently he has taken to hand flapping while jumping. He used to be a major chewer on any and everything. he still enjoys chewing but much less then in the past. When he was about 2-3 he used to love to run his hands along walls, fences, etc...

M-, who would be 6 1/2, my forever angel baby
E- 1 year old!! !

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 8:04 pm

My son used to be a spinner, a head-banger, a flapper and a chewer - mostly of his own clothes, collars and the front of jumpers. He used to twirl the hair at the top of his head, and called that his "tail".

Now, at 12, he is still a flapper, and he will occasionally bang his head. He chews pencil - to bits - and twirls the hair at the front of his head, sometimes so it gets so knotted that it has to be cut off.

He has also just learned to whistle, so that's a noise I'm having to learn to tune out! It's one in the morning here, and I know he's still awake because I can hear him whistling - from upstairs with his door closed!

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 11:18 am

my daughter likes to spit, chew on things, and stick things in her mouth. If not allowed to or if attempting to restrain herself she makes these really loud throat clearing sounds repeatedly. Also she makes just a lot of vocal noises and some clicking sounds.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 12:38 pm

I used to spin and swing stuff round all the time (have broken a couple of ceiling light covers).
But do not do it as much now.
I never did much flapping unless really worked up,
But am still a heavy duty rocker.

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 1:29 pm

Hand flapper,
arm twitcher,
leg dancer,
eye roller,
hair wiggler
and more.
Enjoyed writing that :P
Walk around in circles when stressed or unsure.

Odetta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2014, 7:35 pm

He is currently focused on sounds - beat boxing, buzzing (french horn mouthpiece thing). He used to do rapid leg twitching but that has leveled off some.

He also fiddles with things until they break, unconsciously tears things up. That one is quite annoying. He just broke DH's fancy camping espresso maker. Although I have to say, if a 12 year old fiddling with it could break off the spout thingie, then I don't know how it would have survived squished and jostled in a backpack.

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 2:54 pm

Why would you need a camping espresso maker?
:O :? :?:
*tries to figure it out but fails*

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 1:37 am

I stim in all kinds of ways. I pace, I stretch, I jump around my room while listening to music, I stroke my plushies, I pick at and bite my fingernails/cuticles, I look at pictures of my favorite things for long periods of time, I wrap myself up in blankets, I sway from side to side if I'm standing up, I hold two stones in my hand, and I rock back and forth and side to side.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Verbena
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Mar 2014, 12:10 pm

My son, aged 9, has done something we have always called "pillow dancing" since he was just a few months old. He has only just gotten an aspergers/HF autism diagnosis (as I have I at 43!).

He rocks his head from side to side when falling asleep. He'll sometimes do it in the car when he's tired. He says it helps him daydream. He would babble but this has stopped.

he jumps when he's excited and hums.

I don't remember me having any stimming behavior though.