Page 1 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

gloomywtregret
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2007, 1:09 pm

I was wondering what is everyone's major?
Does anyone think that their are majors especially good for aspies?
Just taking a survey basiclly.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2007, 2:50 pm

wait, wait, don't tell me... music, no... elementary education, no, no... information studies... yeah, that's the ticket!

- Emerson

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2007, 6:43 pm

Geology here.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2007, 9:34 pm

Electrical Engineering.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2007, 10:50 pm

Pimping.

gloomywtregret
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2007, 11:03 pm

Space wrote:
Pimping.

:sarcasm: That's a really great major....where may I enroll? sarcasm:

Space
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2007, 12:26 am

gloomywtregret wrote:
Space wrote:
Pimping.

:sarcasm: That's a really great major....where may I enroll? sarcasm:

You wouldn't get accepted.

Bellerophonian
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Feb 2007, 9:24 am

the university i am attending didn't have a major program that fit my obesssion so i had to create one on my own. i am calling it "colonial studies in health and education"

i plan to create this for myself in grad school as well. ( i will resist rambling on about it!)

Space
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2007, 2:51 pm

Bellerophonian wrote:
the university i am attending didn't have a major program that fit my obesssion so i had to create one on my own. i am calling it "colonial studies in health and education"

i plan to create this for myself in grad school as well. ( i will resist rambling on about it!)

That's considered unclassified studies I assume? If you want to get a masters or phd do you need to receive it from a recognized program or can you still do it in Unclassified studies? I am curious.

paranoid_android
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2007, 4:07 pm

Physics and/or math.

kindofbluenote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2007, 4:24 pm

I've almost got my B.S. in Accounting, and previously I went to a technical school to learn power plant operation.

Both fields are pretty good for Aspies (apparently!) for different reasons. I didn't like the hours of working in plant operations, and there's no way to improve it without a degree. I plan to combine the two, and work as an analyst in the energy market.

lkonantz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2007, 5:45 pm

My major is Political Science with minors in history and international studies. My Political Science major could really be called Political Science-International because that's mostly what I took. I like it because it fits what I'm interested international politics and history.

Bellerophonian
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Feb 2007, 8:01 pm

That's considered unclassified studies I assume? If you want to get a masters or phd do you need to receive it from a recognized program or can you still do it in Unclassified studies? I am curious.[/quote]

well i had to make my decision by weighing that exact problem and it turns out i would not be able to go straight into let's say "sociology', eventhough the bulk of the courses are sociology related becasue they only recognize their specific programs. however, at the same time this "unclassified studies" program gaurentees that i will get into a PhD program that is more radicle, like "equity and edication" or "aboriginal studies" and than from there i could simply focus on socioloy if i wanted.

so you are right, i would not get into the more conservative departments but even if i were to major in one of their programs, they probably wouldn't let me in becasue, despite my high marks, i am know to have "authority problems in class" and tend to be a s**t disturber. :)

PopeJaimie
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2007, 2:35 am

I can't stick to an interest long enough to declare it my major. For the past month or so, I haven't had any interests at all, and I feel sort of lost. A combination of that, and having no human contact other than class and family, and I feel like I'm in some sort of weird limbo, like there's no time. It's quite strange.

Anyway, yeah, don't have a major as of yet.

~
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 3:17 pm

Computer Science. It's a great major for an Aspie, in my opinion. The degree teaches you more than just programming. You get introduced to things like project management, hardware design, and cutting edge stuff in the upper level courses like security, artificial intelligence, and 3D graphics. At my college, you also have to take a large amount of mathematics, including Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Probability, which helps if you are doing scientific programming or 3D graphics.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 3:47 pm

I chose Sociology. I don't think it's a good major for aspies, but it is an interesting subject. I don't know what the hell I'm going to do with it when I get out.